Saxum Recommendation for Newbie

I would like to try a couple Saxum reds. I have access to a few 2011s at OK pricing, Bone Rock, Broken Stone, Heart Stone and perhaps others. Which of these 3 would you recommend giving a taste? I am thinking of 2 of them, not all 3.

From reading CT notes, I would think these 2011s could go another decade etc. but giving them a whirl now would give a sense of house style, etc.

From what I can tell, I would definitely pick up Bone Rock (sounds like a flagship + is 100% Syrah vs blend). And between Broken Stone and Heart Stone, not really sure how different they are (both are blends)… the website notes Broken Stone has “full bodied and intense” and Heart Stone as “tannic and spicy”.

Of those two descriptions, I would probably try Heart Stone (I am probably responding to “intense” on the former), which I see some CT notes as having being slightly less fruit forward? I can also get a 2010 Heart Stone has has higher points in CT for whatever reason (is 2010 a better Cali vintage than '11?), but thought to compare the two '11s in an horizontal made sense.

That said, I see more WB post TNs on the Broken Stone, which suggests that may be a better wine to try for the house style. The CT notes on this wine seem to be consistently higher than Heart Stone (maybe that is a reflection of a more fruity style, but perhaps it is the more balanced wine overall?)

JBV?

1 Like

2011 was really funky for me regarding Saxum. It was a step down from previous vintages IMO.

Out of all of those I personally like Heart Stone (usually more Grenache in the blend) followed by Broken Stones. I haven’t enjoyed Bone Rock as much as others have, but I find his blends more intriguing than the mostly Syrah based ones.

2010 was a better year than 2011 in CA

1 Like

I’ve only had a few Saxums and thought they were all great (though, the James Berry Vineyard was probably my favorite by a slight margin). If you like this style of Paso Rhone-style wine (or want to find out if you do), I don’t think you can go wrong with any Saxum cuvee, but you can just look at the compositions of the wines and get the ones that sound more in line with your preferences (e.g., are you more into Syrah, Grenache, a balanced GSM, etc.).

More importantly, however, I recently had some 2013s and they were significantly better on the 2nd day, so I suggest either opening the bottle a day in advance or saving a glass or more for the second day.

Of those three, I would go Heart Stone. Broken Stones is good and will show more Syrah character, but could use a little more time. I haven’t had the 2011 Bone Rock but I have had 2012 and 2014 - it seems to be long ager of the crew.

That said, I’ve had a lot of Saxum too young, but never a James Berry that was too young (sometimes shockingly good as PnP, but air really helps).

If you’re trying to get a feel for what Saxum can be, I’d try to score a JBV, even if it’s a younger one.

this is like saying ive never seen a scorsese movie and i have the choices of kundon, hugo, and silence.

grab a 2012, jbv or bone rock. or if you can, 06.

2011 as a very “atypical” year for Saxum in terms of flavor profiles.
Personally I’d seek out other vintages, they’re not bad, they’re just not representative of house style IMO.
More earth, tobacco and green notes than usual.

From my 2011’s I’ve cracked: JBV > Broken Stones > Heart Stone.
The 2011 Heart Stone I had over Christmas was the least “typical” Saxum I’ve EVER had. Still delicious, just different.

My dad drank a 2011 Booker recently that he said was firing on all cylinders.

• 2011 Saxum Heart Stone Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (12/24/2019)
    Great. Took a minute to open up. Meaty, RhĂ´ne forward, beef blood and dark raspberry. Less modern fruit forward than I expect from Saxum. Still good. (95 pts.)
  • 2011 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (10/26/2018)
    Violets, floral, dark red raspberry. Tannins have integrated. Just love it. Pepper and spice. Chocolate, tobacco, dried herbs? 2018-2025+ (98 pts.)
  • 2011 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/27/2015)
    Pepper, tannin & young, black raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, bacon fat/cured meat, tobacco/cigar box, touch green. Classic Saxum after open for a while. Well balanced for Paso. (97 pts.)
  • 2011 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (5/13/2014)
    A bit austere at first but opened up nicely. Greener than most bottles of Saxum. Not as tannic as expected considering it was so young. More raspberry and less dense purple fruit than other Saxums. Lighter on its feet comparatively. Still nice, but I’ve enjoyed other bottles more. Killer nose full of grilling spice and earth. Loved it. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Is 2006 a representative year?

Random '06 JBV notes from CT:
“Delicious and extremely well done in the genre - though this isn’t a wine for everyone”
16.6% alcohol
“This is one ripe ****! Twisted and balanced, ready now…not on the downhill, but I can’t imagine it improving.”
Blockbuster rhone ranger.

Random '06 Bone Rock notes from CT:
16.7% alc
Fantastic, and classic Saxum. Double decanted three hours in advance. At initial opening, it was a bit hot and unbalanced. After an hour, it had mellowed a bit.
On the nose, crushed raspberries and blueberries, with a slight alcoholic burn. On the palate, very smooth texture, but short of syrupy, with a mix of wild berries, grenache liqueur, dried leaves, and mild tannins on a long finish. I rate it as high as I do because of the texture and clean delivery of ample fruit; I can’t go higher because the alcohol, while subtle, is noticeable, and the wine weighs on you after a couple of glasses.

1 Like

i haven’t had a bad 06 saxum and i’ve had probably 3 different bottlings a few times each.

1 Like

I have recently had
08 Bone Rock
06 JBV
05 Booker
06 Broken Stones
10 Terry Hoage

All were really singing and open for business. I think they are better at 10+ years of age and with some air. Not sure if the 2011s are ready yet.

2 Likes

I had the 2011 Bone Rock from Magnum of Sunday. Outstanding!!

1 Like

By the way:

• 2011 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/28/2017)
    Great balance and smooth. Loveit. (94 pts.)
  • 2011 Saxum Bone Rock James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (7/24/2015)
    Pop and poured and drunk while finished cooking a congregation dinner for about 120 people before a presentation by Khalil Gibran Muhammed on the history of racial disparity in the criminal prosecution in the US, and then while having a dinner while running around making sure everything was OK. Why is that relevant? Because this is an outstanding wine that does not require over-intellectualization to enjoy. Powerful red fruit and spice with just a bit of undifferentiated chocolate/coffee, maybe from the barrel toast. Wonderful velvety mouth fee. Long finish. Stands up well to running around with a glass in your hand. I gave tastes of this to about 5 other people and they all thought it was fantastic, but they were non-geeks, so what did they know. This is a WOW+ wine. I have a bunch more of them and I am very glad for it, because I would like to see how it develops but it’s going to be hard to keep my hands off it. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Are you going to be at the big Riesling fete next Sunday? If so, I will bring a Saxum and you can try it and see what all the fuss is about.

Like others have said, it’s whether you like a grenache dominant blend or heavy on the syrah. I like them both, but 2011 was not a great year in the central coast, hence the good price,I guess. My favorite was Bone Rock and that was the highest scored wine from a “difficult” year. I just had a 2010 JBV from magnum and it was excellent. I think you can drink the 11s - just give them lots of air.

If you want “typical” Saxum, look for 2013s and 2014s. CT notes are consistently up there. JBV has always been my fav, and Rocket Block, when they make it.

I posted a note a while back on the 2011 Heart Stone. What was supposedly an “inferior” vintage in CA may actually have produced longer-lived wines that have evolved beautifully over time. I’m now out of that 2011 Heart Stone - too bad because it was one of my WOTY in 2019. I agree with the prior reply that it is less like the typical “house style”. I would grab the Heart Stone and the JBV.

have sold or gifted every one I’ve ever owned; been tasting back to 2004 vintage. Just not for me. Gloop.

I think you would be better off trying more typical years like 08-10 to get a judge on the House style. I’ve actually loved the 11’s though as they are a bit more restrained, but it’s probably not best to purchase or dismiss the brand based on that vintage.

2011 is great at Saxum, they show really great aromatics and balance, unless all you want is opulence. Buy the Bone Rock for sure. Don’t have an opinion on #2.

We drank '10 JBV on Sunday. Even after a 5-6 hour of slow ox/decant, I thought it would have benefited from more age.
Still tasty though.