TN: 2012 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon Oroppas (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2012 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon Oroppas - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/20/2020)
    Day 1: Really opened up from earlier today. Tobacco, dark chocolate, red currants, damp earth and spices. Medium plus finish and picks up some really nice blueberries on the finish. Solid wine. 92 points
    Day 2: A bit less balanced and heavy on the spices. Red currants, dark chocolate and pencil lead. Medium finish. 90 points
    Day 3: Better than day 2 which is encouraging. This wine has plenty of life left. Delicious. Red currants, spice, licorice, floral, earth and dark chocolate. A very balanced effort a bit better than day 1. Call it 92.5 points
    Recommendation: I got this wine at $20.00 on a closeout at the soon to be sold Sid’s Discount Liquors in Bloomington. This will age for another 5 to 8 years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Loved that wine in the 90’s.

Funny how this got its name as it was owned by Sapporo.

The ones I have drunk ('01 and '05) were really good around 10 years.

This 2012 earned WOTN about a year ago in a $40 and under blind cab tasting. It’s better than the 2013. Thanks for excellent note John!

[quoteThis 2012 earned WOTN about a year ago in a $40 and under blind cab tasting. It’s better than the 2013. Thanks for excellent note John!][/quote]
Albert did you guys pop and pour or decant it prior to the tasting?

We decanted. I would say at least an hour.

I bought some of the 1996 while at the winery in 1998 and drank the last one in 2006. It was excellent.

• 1996 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon Oroppas - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/3/2006)
    A bit funky on the nose at first as we decanted it, but it blew off very quickly. Strong flavor of red fruit and pleasant woodsy earthiness, with a bit of mushroom. Well balanced acid. High alcohol content not overpowering. Fully mature. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker