TN: 1997 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard (USA, California, Sonoma County)

1997 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County (1/22/2020)
My very last bottle of ESJ Durell Syrah, and while not the best (‘94!), it was distinctive, aromatic, and still very much in the prime of life. Sweet/tart cherry fruit, worn leather, herbs, roasted meat and a touch of violet on the nose gave way to a lifted, bright palate presence, dominated by the meaty elements, along with a black olive finish. Lovely with my beef stew dinner, and also delicious on its own. Drink ‘em if you have ‘em.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have a 95 in magnum, need an occasion. Have you tried this vintage recently? That’s 97 sounds excellent.

Nice note, David. I only had the '97 once, and it was an off bottle. I agree that the '94 and! '95 have been truly magical bottles.

Alfert- I’m thinking you are in for a treat on that '95 mag! Great wine!

Almost exactly three years ago for the 1995. I bet your mag is fine.

1995 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County (1/11/2017)
My last bottle of the 1995, and it showed very well, even a bit unevolved. It had a deep purple color, meaty aromatics with lots of black fruit, and a brightness through the mid-palate and finish that seemed much younger than 20+ years old. It did show greater maturity with an hour of air, as black olive, tar and gravel road elements all came into the mix. The tannins were mellow, so the structure was carried by the firm acid backbone. Over the three hours I had with the wine it never faltered, so it seems to be riding a peak. Drink now, and for a long time to come.

You would have liked the 1997. Your style of wine.

Wow, super cool, thanks to both of you. I trust both of your palates very much. I do not have experience with older Edmunds, I seeM to drink them way too early cause they are way too damn good.

Sorry to drift, but this thread got me thinking…the '93 is one of the best American wines I’ve ever had…

1/29/2010 - I wrote: (Edit)

The 1993 Edmunds St John Syrah Durrell was nearly an ethereal experience. Aromas of mint, coffee, grilled meat, blackberry. A palate that was at once weightless, but as DC said, also showed a wonderful, sturdy, stone character amidst black fruit and smokiness. Perfect with the pork belly dish. I’ve not had a better CA Syrah. Blind, you’d never call it CA. Cote Rotie, more likely. Stunning. Drinking perfectly.

Making me crave some ESJ for my birthday this weekend. Might need to pull a 1994 Les Cotes Sauvages. Had the 1995 syrah (regular bottling, not Durell) last year which was excellent.

Haven’t had the ‘94, but the ‘89 and ‘93 are still very fine.