TN: 2012 Briceland Vineyards Petit Verdot Ishi Pishi Ranch - a deliciously quirky wine

Petit Verdot is quirky. Finicky, too, I think. Mainly a blending grape, one of the traditional Bordeaux varietals. You don’t see it much these days, but there are a couple of Bordeaux QPRs that have healthy dollops of it, like Chateau Bolaire at 40-50% and Belle-Vue at 20%. I like these two wines. Belle-Vue just released a 100% PV cuvee in 2016, need to try it.

For Bordeaux, it seems to add a more savory, spicy, and sometimes greenish tinge, to the blend.

I have not had a PV cuvee from California that I have enjoyed enough to buy more. I personally don’t think this grape does well in warmer climates like that, it gets too jammy blue for my palate.

And then here I try something from Humboldt. The land of Cabot. And it works. Works very well.

This Briceland PV runs the color spectrum: greens, red, blue and black. The spritely acids keep this wine racing along that continuum. Floral, perfumed nose, with some charcoal campfire and menthol notes. The palate is more than medium-body, definitely chewy, but not weighty. Savory, herbaceous, wet earth. Predominantly wild dark fruits, but with a slight sweetness of blueberry and some citrusy reds, showing lots of fruit complexity. Tangy, chewy, puckeringly-long long finish. A very distinct wine.

Started this wine with a grilled chicken salad, but damn would I love to have this wine with a burger or pizza. Or a Pittsburgh-style filet, all bloody and stuff.

I have no clue where his wine goes. I have no history with it. Has solid structure and backbone to it, and correctly ripe fruit, so I suspect it will age easily for 5+ and likely for much longer. Does it become more complex, I do not know. What I do know, is that this is one lip-smackingly good ‘Merican PV!

(93 pts.)

PS. I’ve killed a tad more than 3/4s of the bottle. Saved a wee bit for tomorrow just to see what will happen. I really would prefer to keep drinking it.

PPS. Corey sent me this wine, thanks buddy. He’s in the Dominican Republic right now, sunning himself with this stunning counter-part, while his Chicago colleagues freeze away. He brought me a Briceland Cab once as well, which I also liked.

Nice note. I’m super glad you liked it. I thought/hoped it would be up your alley.

Hey Robert, I haven’t had the PV yet, but I’ve tried some other wines from Ishi Pishi Ranch and they are exceptional. I think it’s the best American terroir that most people haven’t heard of. The Zinfandel in particular blows my mind. My take on that one is that it’s what Zinfandel might taste like if they grew it in the Loire.

It’s more old world than new world. If you’ve had Bolaire, you’d see the connection. This is better than Bolaire, however.

Thanks, Mark! Sounds delish. I love classic, lower ANV Zin and I love Loire.

I’ve had the Cabot wines as well, which while this forum raves about his Syrah, I found his Cab really unique and cool climate, old world-ish.

This PV is 13.4 ABV

I’ve got a bottle of this and have been debating on when would be a good time to open it. You think this is a drink now or a hold for a few years and it’ll improve/gain interest?

Uhh…

If this thread is of interest to you and you like Briceland wines, who doesn’t, and appreciate PV then you’ll want to watch out for BD11 Sunday and then late Monday.

Yeah, I’ve read too many good notes on these wines. I’m gonna have to get some Monday.

Always love the inky black color of PV.

B84E41C2-3D70-4B04-94FE-758AC8D9F61B.jpeg

I’ll be curious to see your notes on day 2, cause we don’t know the meaning of “day 2” at our house.

It’s odd, I ‘think’ I’m saving half a bottle, but then the next day it’s like a mini pour at a walk around tasting

Such an apt description. The only way we have a true half bottle left over is when we open two bottles.

Yea, my wife generally won’t go red. So I’m solo drinking my lonely bottles.

My wife also does not go red. Well, she will take a couple sips while she has the 2-3 oz of red meat that is on her plate every so often.

The Petit Verdot is the one exception. She really likes it with stronger cheese or salad, and then the bit of meat. We can share a bottle.

BTW, I am glad you like that wine. It was the wine the really sealed the deal for me to fall in love with Ishi Pishi Ranch.

Andrew and Robert, darn you both. I already placed a 12 pack order for Zin and Syrah. Now I am going to have to go back and order more and include some PV.

Ian comes out of the woodworks!!!

How’s it going buddy? Let’s go ride. I’m so out of shape.

Killed the remainder of the bottle today mid-afternoon. So good.

The 14 is lovely, and seems similar to the descriptions of the 12: 2014 Briceland Vineyards Petit Verdot Ishi Pishi Ranch, USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County - CellarTracker

— Jake

You should have joined us this morning. 32 miles, nice steady 20 mph pace, perfect 55-60 degree weather. I’ve been off the bike quite a bit in Dec and Jan too, so I am easing back in.

I asked Kurt this morning when we were doing the next cycling viewing and wine tasting.

Kurt went 45, did they drop you hard?

My wife just yelled at me to go do something. I’m being a lug. Sitting in the lake on this gorgeous cool sunny day, and look what just landed in the water:

EEAB3A30-316A-4A67-A88E-526EEF663428.jpeg
I wonder if they know the water is fresh.

I really liked the 12 PV the times I had it. A good example of intensity of flavors without sweetness or weight, and it’s also just nice to experience something completely different like that.