GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grassl Glassware

#51 Post by Philip G » January 24th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Philip G wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:20 pm
What would be the recommendation for big reds like Cali Cab, Rhone and Bordeaux blends? I was thinking Liberte but then saw the comment about whites and champagne a few posts up.
I would go with the 1855. I find it is better for those than my Riedel Sommelier Bdx glass. I would definitely not do Liberte -- you want the larger bowl for the big reds. For Rhone, maybe Cru -- curious to try Liberte now with Rhone. I have not done that yet! Hmmmm, maybe that will be tonights activity......
Thanks. Might pick up a couple 1855 and Cru on BD depending what's being offered. We use Riedel Vinum Bordeaux Grand Cru for special occasions. Has anyone compared to these?
Chip G@@d

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Ryan A » January 24th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Philip G wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:20 pm
What would be the recommendation for big reds like Cali Cab, Rhone and Bordeaux blends? I was thinking Liberte but then saw the comment about whites and champagne a few posts up.
I would go with the 1855. I find it is better for those than my Riedel Sommelier Bdx glass. I would definitely not do Liberte -- you want the larger bowl for the big reds. For Rhone, maybe Cru -- curious to try Liberte now with Rhone. I have not done that yet! Hmmmm, maybe that will be tonights activity......
+1 1855 for sure
Ryan A n s e l l

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Brandon R » January 24th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:14 am
Thanks, Michael. Storage is more of a problem than budget. Of the regular stems...which? I'm thinking Liberte or 1855.
Brandon -- I would go with the Cru. I found the 1855 great for Bdx blends (and Barolo too sometimes), but the Cru is great for Pinot, Rhone blends, and others. I tend to use Riedel Sommelier Syrah for Rhone blends. But if I am opening a red and not sure, I grab the Cru.

They are all really great glasses. I am going to get a few more of the Liberte and Mineralite, as I only have two of each and I like both of them better than the Riedel white stems I have. They really are lovely glasses. They perform exceptionally well; look beautiful; and feel amazing. The only breakage we have had is when our now three year old threw a ball and it hit the wine glass. Surprisingly the glass shattered. Clearly a major design flaw. :-) {For the record, friends were over supervising our daughter, and seemed to think it was fun to have her throw a ball around while they drank wine.....right, none of them have children.}
You know my palate, so I appreciate the recommendation, Ron!
B. Redman

Dan Kozarsky
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Dan Kozarsky » January 24th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Another fan here. I have the 1855 and Cru and love them. And Chris' breakage policy is incredibly generous. I accidentally broke one; $10 and a few days later I had a replacement. Amazing, thank you again Chris!

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Mark Y » January 24th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:08 am
If one had limited storage space and budget, what would be the group's recommendation for the best overall glass? I drink mostly domestic wines (WA Cabs/Bdx varieites and Rhones, OR Pinots, some Cali Cab), but a decent amount of Italians as well. Some Rhone. Very little Loire.

If I had to stick with one, what would you recommend?
Cru

i drink champersy, white burg, red burg, red rhone, and bdx from it..
Y.e.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Mattstolz » January 24th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Marcus, are these the glasses we would have tasted out of when we visited you in April (2019?). I loved those glasses and have always wondered.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Jim Stewart » January 24th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Brandon,
I think you would be very pleased with the Liberté as an all-around "universal" wine glass. We are. I am not familiar with the wine glasses you are currently using but for me the difference between drinking wine in the Liberté versus our long time Reidel wine glasses was astounding. To borrow a word from another thread it was almost an "Epiphany Experience".
Cheers,
-Jim
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by C. Keller » January 24th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Wish I would have known about the breakage policy. About a year ago I bought an 1855 and it got dropped after the first use. Have a cru and dig it.
Chris

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#59 Post by Dave McIsaac » January 24th, 2020, 7:21 pm

C. Keller wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 4:07 pm
Wish I would have known about the breakage policy. About a year ago I bought an 1855 and it got dropped after the first use. Have a cru and dig it.
Give Chris a shout
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by T. Altmayer » January 24th, 2020, 7:27 pm

I love the 1855, its my go to glass for red. For Champagne, I still really like the Zalto Universal, but do not have any of the other Grassl's to compare.
Tom

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by brigcampbell » January 24th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Mark Y wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:08 am
If one had limited storage space and budget, what would be the group's recommendation for the best overall glass? I drink mostly domestic wines (WA Cabs/Bdx varieites and Rhones, OR Pinots, some Cali Cab), but a decent amount of Italians as well. Some Rhone. Very little Loire.

If I had to stick with one, what would you recommend?
Cru

i drink champersy, white burg, red burg, red rhone, and bdx from it..
Cru is also the best beer glass on the planet.

I use the Cru 90% of the time. The warden loves the librate

RickieM

#62 Post by RickieM » January 24th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Chris is absolutely a pleasure to deal with. And I love my Grassl stems, my favorite being the Cru. The Liberte is next and I use the 1855 and Mineralite less frequently but they're all such nice glasses. And Chris is the master of customer service. I've pretty much stopped using the Gabriel and Zalto stems except sometimes I will use the Zalto Burgundy because it is so huge and I want to try something with that. But nearly all the time it is Grassl. So light and elegant.
Rickie Miy@ke

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by M.Kaplan » January 24th, 2020, 8:42 pm

I own some Liberte glasses and gifted some more to my daughter and her (now) husband. They broke two and I replaced them. It would never occur to me to hold the distributor responsible for my or my daughter’s carelessness. YMMV.
---Mark

Fred Davis

#64 Post by Fred Davis » January 24th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Mainly drink nebbiolo, cabernet franc (Loire), pinot noir, and occasionally grenache (southern Rhone), so is Cru the way to go? For whites, don't drink very often, but when we do, it's mostly vermentino or any other Italian grape. Which glass is best for this? And lastly, which glass is best for a Montrachet?

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#65 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 24th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:02 am
So we use and love the Zalto Champagne glass for bubbles; which Grassl glass is comparable? Or is this just not a wine for which Grassls are appropriate/

Honestly, we drink quite a bit of grower champagnes and Megan and I both really like the Mineralité followed closely by the Liberté.

With richer vintages and wines I would lean more to the Liberté.

Funny enough, the only Zalto I saved was the white wine glass and I use it strictly for champagne.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on January 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#66 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 24th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Fred Davis wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Mainly drink nebbiolo, cabernet franc (Loire), pinot noir, and occasionally grenache (southern Rhone), so is Cru the way to go? For whites, don't drink very often, but when we do, it's mostly vermentino or any other Italian grape. Which glass is best for this? And lastly, which glass is best for a Montrachet?
For Nebbiolo, Cab Franc, and PN, you should try both Cru and Liberté. My feeling is the Cru deepens aromatics with reds and softens acidity, while drawing out savory notes. The Liberté focuses aromatics, and delivers a seamless expression of the wine, and typically presents a juicier more acid driven finish.

For your lighter whites, Mineralité would be great. For Montrachet, speculatively speaking I would guess Liberté for younger wines from that vineyard and Cru for more aged versions. Would probably depend upon producer a little bit too...
Winemaker & Owner

Fred Davis

#67 Post by Fred Davis » January 24th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 9:40 pm
Fred Davis wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 9:29 pm
For Nebbiolo, Cab Franc, and PN, you should try both Cru and Liberté. My feeling is the Cru deepens aromatics with reds and softens acidity, while drawing out savory notes. The Liberté focuses aromatics, and delivers a seamless expression of the wine, and typically presents a juicier more acid driven finish.

For your lighter whites, Mineralité would be great. For Montrachet, speculatively speaking I would guess Liberté for younger wines from that vineyard and Cru for more aged versions. Would probably depend upon producer a little bit too...
Thanks Marcus.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Ron Slye » January 24th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Ron Slye wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:14 am
Thanks, Michael. Storage is more of a problem than budget. Of the regular stems...which? I'm thinking Liberte or 1855.
Brandon -- I would go with the Cru. I found the 1855 great for Bdx blends (and Barolo too sometimes), but the Cru is great for Pinot, Rhone blends, and others. I tend to use Riedel Sommelier Syrah for Rhone blends. But if I am opening a red and not sure, I grab the Cru.

They are all really great glasses. I am going to get a few more of the Liberte and Mineralite, as I only have two of each and I like both of them better than the Riedel white stems I have. They really are lovely glasses. They perform exceptionally well; look beautiful; and feel amazing. The only breakage we have had is when our now three year old threw a ball and it hit the wine glass. Surprisingly the glass shattered. Clearly a major design flaw. :-) {For the record, friends were over supervising our daughter, and seemed to think it was fun to have her throw a ball around while they drank wine.....right, none of them have children.}
You know my palate, so I appreciate the recommendation, Ron!
Ok, Brandon -- I took on here for the team (or at least for you). :-)

I opened a 2017 Elephant Seven Cosmic Reflection (69% mourverdre, 31% syrah)

2012 Bonny Doon Syrah X Block Bien Nacido (100% syrah I think; wish i left this for a few more years!)

I tried both in two Grassl glasses: Liberte and Cru; and the Riedel Sommelier Syrah.

For those of you not familiar with these wines, the Elephant Seven is a bit more new world, but with some really nice savory flavors. The Bonny Doon is much earthier -- very savory. I unfortunately did not have an old world rhone available to test -- this was the closest I could get given what was in the house.

Elephant Seven/Liberte. The nose immediately said Gamay to me (and here Brandon, we may be in sync). This was Gamay in a way that I (and I suspect you) do not like -- very light and fruity. Not like the few Beaujolais I have had that, so far for me, are the exceptions that prove the rule.

The Cru and Riedel early on pretty much tied on the Elephant Seven. I might give an edge at first to the Riedel. Though now, as I type this, I have a glass of the Elephant Seven in the Cru and the Bonny Doon in the Riedel (more on that in a moment). Both of these glasses are excellent for this wine. With food (pasta with a mushroom sauce -- no tomato or cream), the Cru edged out the Riedel. It was more precise and focused. The Riedel with food almost became a bit acidic and, in a weird way, frizzante.

For the Bonny Doon the Riedel was, and continued to be, the favorite. It had a far more complex nose and flavors on the palate. The Cru emphasized fruit a bit more over savory notes. So this may depend on what you like and what flavors you want to emphasize. Both were excellent.

The Liberte with the Bonny Doon -- almost no nose to speak of (though with time this started to change, but still quite limited). It was more savory on the palate than the other two, but verged on being a bit astringent and bitter.

As the evening progressed, the Liberte was better with the Elephant Seven than the Bonny Doon.

But I would say, at least for my taste, the Liberte was the least favorite, and noticeably so. I think I prefer the Cru for the Elephant Seven and the Riedel for the Bonny Doon, but as you can tell from above these are both excellent glasses for each of these wines.

Separate from the glasses, the Elephant Seven is lovely to drink now. The Bonny Doon -- I want to wait at least 3 years more (and perhaps 5) for my last remaining bottle.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Scott Brunson » January 25th, 2020, 3:06 am

Chris, my wife broke a Cru but I didn't bug you because no glass could have survived that fall from the bar!

We love those and the Liberte; we'll add some for our FL place.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Peter Petersen » January 25th, 2020, 11:34 am

I have 8 1855, 8 Cru, and 12 tasting glasses and love them so much that I fear I'm drinking more than I should. [cheers.gif] Should I be on the market for more white wine glasses I'd not hesitate to try a few Liberte and Mineralite. I'm certainly not looking elsewhere for glasses.
1855 is definitely my preferred glass for richer reds.
Cru for lighter reds (PN, light Grenache, traditional Italian) and chard.
Tasting glasses for when we have guests who don't how to handle a glasses. Used 1855 once and two guests cracked their glasses as they were toasting! Of course, Chris generously replaced them. flirtysmile The tasting glass is also good for some lighter whites that would drown in a bigger glass. Also an excellent glass for Cognac and Armagnac. Focuses the brandy and minimizes alcohol unlike wider and larger glasses.
Since getting these glasses the only old glasses I still use are the GGG which I love for GV and other medium bodied whites. Never use GGG for reds anymore. Gave all my other glasses to a friend so that we'd have something decent in his new digs.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#71 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 25th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 3:36 pm
Marcus, are these the glasses we would have tasted out of when we visited you in April (2019?). I loved those glasses and have always wondered.
Matt,

Those would have been the Riedel Oregon Pinot Noir glass. Also a good glass, but the Grassl rolled over it in our tastings.
Winemaker & Owner

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Alan Rath » January 26th, 2020, 10:43 am

Chris, looking at this thread before I place a BD order, and saw the posts about Champagne. If you're still thinking about this, Vilmart uses a glass in their tasting room that I think is perfect (though maybe a bit small for some). I'd love to be able to buy a similar glass. Cheers!
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Ryan A » January 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Chris- ignorant question (for two reasons as I just purchased another 24 glasses) but is the benefit of buying the tasting glasses cost, more durable, or other? Do I need those?
Ryan A n s e l l

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 26th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I need a new decanter in the rotation. My wife just broke one last week, walked into the mudroom rocking her tennis bag like a bull in a china shop, and boom, shattered a decanter.

Bring on BD!

PS. I use, and am damn happy with, the 1855 for most of my reds, Bordeaux, Chinon, Rhones, Zin and Beaujolais.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by JDavisRoby » January 26th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Does anyone have feedback on the Grassl tasting glasses as good glass for well everyday reds? Thinking that as a good cheaper alternative to Gabriel Glas.
Joshu@

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#76 Post by Chris Freemott » January 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Joshua, there are a few threads on this - here's the backstory on that tasting/restaurant series.

When Alex and I were at EP in Bordeaux in spring of 2019, he was discussing the amount of waste we were seeing Cht Palmer pour out (which isn't aytpical of most chateau) and due to the fact Palmer had a tough 2018 being biodynamic, he asked them why they didn't have a glass that showed their wines better with smaller pours. Their answerr was simple "no one has ever asked us that"...

The restaurant series stem is designed to give you maximum surface area at 1.5 ounces and be capable of handling US pours to 4.5/5.0 ounces.

Keep this in mind with our glasses and my policies. "No blood". You buy them, don't like them, call me. I'll buy them back and send a label.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#77 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Joshua, there are a few threads on this - here's the backstory on that tasting/restaurant series.

When Alex and I were at EP in Bordeaux in spring of 2019, he was discussing the amount of waste we were seeing Cht Palmer pour out (which isn't aytpical of most chateau) and due to the fact Palmer had a tough 2018 being biodynamic, he asked them why they didn't have a glass that showed their wines better with smaller pours. Their answerr was simple "no one has ever asked us that"...

The restaurant series stem is designed to give you maximum surface area at 1.5 ounces and be capable of handling US pours to 4.5/5.0 ounces.

Keep this in mind with our glasses and my policies. "No blood". You buy them, don't like them, call me. I'll buy them back and send a label.
Damn, bro. That's some incredible language and delivery right there. I might buy some tasting glasses just because of this post.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by JDavisRoby » January 27th, 2020, 2:36 am

Chris Freemott wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Thanks Chris. I attempted a search but I must’ve not included the correct modifiers to my search terms.

Will get an order in. Going to buy some 1855 as well.
Joshu@

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Marshall Manning » January 28th, 2020, 8:32 am

I PM'd Chris, but imagine he's swamped right now, so does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should buy the Mineralite or the Liberte for general white wine usage? I want to try two different Grassl glasses (never tried them before) and know that I want the Cru, as we drink a lot of Piedmont and Burgundy. But I'm wondering which of the white glasses might be best. We drink a lot of Champagne, Riesling, Chablis, Loire, Jura, Rosé and other whites from Alto Adige, Friuili, etc.
Marshall

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 28th, 2020, 8:40 am

Liberte

Brad S c h i e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Brad S c h i e r » January 28th, 2020, 8:58 am

The more I read , the more I am excited. We have lots and lots of Riedel stems and the like - and while they get the job done.. they dont seem elegant or wow me. Limping in with a 4 pack and hope I enjoy and be wowed.

S. Williams

#82 Post by S. Williams » January 28th, 2020, 9:00 am

Do the tasting stems have smaller bases, or are they the same, larger width as the 1855s? Would definitely be a step up for what we use now with groups, but thinking about whether they'd fit in our wine glass cabinet slots. (The 1855s do not.)
$u$@n Wi!!i@m$

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Alan Rath » January 28th, 2020, 9:10 am

S. Williams wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:00 am
Do the tasting stems have smaller bases, or are they the same, larger width as the 1855s? Would definitely be a step up for what we use now with groups, but thinking about whether they'd fit in our wine glass cabinet slots. (The 1855s do not.)
Looking at the picture of Tasting vs. Liberte, the base looks just slightly smaller, but not sure how that compares with 1855.

viewtopic.php?p=2893852#p2893852
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#84 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 28th, 2020, 9:21 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 2:36 pm
I need a new decanter in the rotation. My wife just broke one last week, walked into the mudroom rocking her tennis bag like a bull in a china shop, and boom, shattered a decanter.

Bring on BD!

PS. I use, and am damn happy with, the 1855 for most of my reds, Bordeaux, Chinon, Rhones, Zin and Beaujolais.
Sweet that you have a decanter in the mudroom!

I like the Grassl decanter quite a bit. Not least because it’s easy to handle and pour from, which is important if your trying to pour wine with one hand and pull a wet boot off with the other.
Winemaker & Owner

Brad S c h i e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Brad S c h i e r » January 28th, 2020, 9:25 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:21 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 2:36 pm
Ha - I had same thought. What the heck is a Decanter doing in the mudroom. Has to be more to the story here.

Then I looked at my house.. wondering how I can get one in there.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 28th, 2020, 9:37 am

Haha. I call it the mudroom. It’s the area between the garage and the house, enclosed, around 6x12 like a wide hallway. It is sorta the storage for all stuff you don’t put in your kitchen, which includes a wine fridge, counters, cabinets for extra glasses and dishes, etc. My wife also gives me a cabinet for my cycling stuff. I guess this is the husband’s kitchen, perhaps, lol.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

S. Williams

#87 Post by S. Williams » January 28th, 2020, 9:57 am

Alan Rath wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:10 am
S. Williams wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:00 am
Looking at the picture of Tasting vs. Liberte, the base looks just slightly smaller, but not sure how that compares with 1855.

viewtopic.php?p=2893852#p2893852
Thanks, I looked at those pics but it’s really hard to tell. I couldn’t find exact dimensions on the tasting glass, so if anyone knows where that is, let me know. (Most interested in base width.)
Last edited by S. Williams on January 28th, 2020, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
$u$@n Wi!!i@m$

S. Williams

#88 Post by S. Williams » January 28th, 2020, 9:59 am

N/A
$u$@n Wi!!i@m$

Brent C l a y t o n

#89 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » January 28th, 2020, 10:51 am

The Liberte is also great for beer in general, hoppy/hazy IPA's in particular. I gave one to a guy who owns a beer shop here in NYC and he loved it. Broke it within 2 months, but loved it. He then went out and found an inexpensive alternative with a similar shape to use for the bar.
Attachments
10B7F330-A71C-400A-9834-FB89BCF5EA89.jpeg
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by David Glasser » January 28th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:37 am
Haha. I call it the mudroom. It’s the area between the garage and the house, enclosed, around 6x12 like a wide hallway. It is sorta the storage for all stuff you don’t put in your kitchen, which includes a wine fridge, counters, cabinets for extra glasses and dishes, etc. My wife also gives me a cabinet for my cycling stuff. I guess this is the husband’s kitchen, perhaps, lol.
And here I was under the impression that the staff always has an appropriately-aerated 1990 Picasses or better ready for the country esquire's consumption immediately upon his return to the estate.
Last edited by David Glasser on January 28th, 2020, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Ron Slye » January 28th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 8:32 am
I PM'd Chris, but imagine he's swamped right now, so does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should buy the Mineralite or the Liberte for general white wine usage? I want to try two different Grassl glasses (never tried them before) and know that I want the Cru, as we drink a lot of Piedmont and Burgundy. But I'm wondering which of the white glasses might be best. We drink a lot of Champagne, Riesling, Chablis, Loire, Jura, Rosé and other whites from Alto Adige, Friuili, etc.
I would also say Liberte. Mineralite has a more narrow opening -- so it may depend on whether you want a more or less focused opening. Some have complained about Mineralite being a bit difficult as one's nose can get in the way. Not sure I have had that problem, but of course it may depend on how large your nose is.

I don't have them in front of me but i am pretty sure that the base is the same on all of them. Others can perhaps confirm, but I am pretty sure that is the case.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Ron Slye » January 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:21 am

I like the Grassl decanter quite a bit. Not least because it’s easy to handle and pour from, which is important if your trying to pour wine with one hand and pull a wet boot off with the other.
This made me laugh out loud.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Mike Evans » January 28th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 8:32 am
Marshall, it’s good to “see” you, it’s been a long time. I haven’t used the Liberte but have a Mineralité and just bought some more and my sense is that the Liberte is more versatile than the Mineralité. I would be more interested in the Libertes if I didn’t have a set of Gabriel Glas Golds which are more similar to it. I got the Mineralités primarily for Germanic and sparkling wines, but generally am happy with just the Crus and GGGs.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#94 Post by Chris Freemott » January 28th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Hello
Yes. sorry for the delays on this. Marcus, your 1099 is in the mail for the PR efforts. :)

Mineralité is an acidic wine's friend
Liberté is a much more universal wine glass

Based on what you have up there, go M. Remember, i buy them back if you don't like them.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#95 Post by Chris Freemott » January 28th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Susan - email and photo sent.
Tasting stem is 21.4 CM tall, 8.4CM in diameter. As your question is about the base, the 1855 is 4" in diameter, the tasting glass is 3.375" in diameter. Hopefully that .625" helps with the cabinet you have.

Chris

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Marshall Manning » January 28th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Thanks, Mike. I went ahead and ordered the Liberte to try these glasses. People seem to like them a lot, so I'm looking forward to trying them.

I don't post or peruse the boards much anymore. I got out of the habit when I was in the distribution business for almost 10 years, but who knows...I might pop in once in a while. Lots of old names here...if I remember correctly, you go back to the old CompuServe days, right?
Marshall

S. Williams

#97 Post by S. Williams » January 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Susan - email and photo sent.
Tasting stem is 21.4 CM tall, 8.4CM in diameter. As your question is about the base, the 1855 is 4" in diameter, the tasting glass is 3.375" in diameter. Hopefully that .625" helps with the cabinet you have.

Chris
Perfect! Thank you so much. Your exemplary service once again sucks me into another purchase.
$u$@n Wi!!i@m$

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Mike Evans » January 28th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Thanks, Mike. I went ahead and ordered the Liberte to try these glasses. People seem to like them a lot, so I'm looking forward to trying them.

I don't post or peruse the boards much anymore. I got out of the habit when I was in the distribution business for almost 10 years, but who knows...I might pop in once in a while. Lots of old names here...if I remember correctly, you go back to the old CompuServe days, right?
I think we actually first met on AOL, then I moved on to Prodigy and CompuServe, then WLDG, Squires, Wine Therapy, and WCWN (I’ve always been very ecumenical when it comes to wine boards). I took about seven years off from wine and wine discussion and it is always nice to run into people from the “good old days.”

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Marshall Manning » January 28th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 1:29 pm
I think we actually first met on AOL, then I moved on to Prodigy and CompuServe, then WLDG, Squires, Wine Therapy, and WCWN (I’ve always been very ecumenical when it comes to wine boards). I took about seven years off from wine and wine discussion and it is always nice to run into people from the “good old days.”
Wasn't sure if it was AOL or CompuServe first. Man, that was 25 years ago...a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!
Marshall

Fred Davis

#100 Post by Fred Davis » January 29th, 2020, 9:25 am

I ordered a bunch of them, which I'm excited about. Where are these glasses made btw?

Return to “Wine Talk”