Grassl Glassware

With BD looming I wanted to post a note about one of the great changes we made at the winery last year.

I switched to Grassl glasses after a few comparative tastings. We use the Liberte and Cru glasses for appointments, mostly using the Liberte for whites and Cru for reds. I absolutely love the Liberte for our white wines, and the Chardonnays in particular. It brings depth to the aromatics, not fruit but depth, and does so without relinquishing any of the tension and energy.

Last week I was tasting with an account in Portland using a nice glass and a standard for Pinot Noir, and it just hit me how much less expressive the wines seemed. I had tasted them from Grassl when I opened the bottles, and they had jumped out of the glass on inspection.

This is an unsolicited post, and while Chris is a Berserker, I’m posting because I really, really enjoy our wines out of his glasses. One of the best steps forward we made last year.

1 Like

I’m definitely getting some Grassl. Chris sent me a sampler pack, which is en-route. I already know I’m going to love this stuff. Thanks for the post.

Wow.
Humbling.

Thank you Marcus.

1 Like

Went from all Zalto to now all Grassl! Love them! Both show a heightened pleasure…but I think the key to the Grassl is the larger base…has a more balance weight to it. And the breakage guarantee is reassuring.

I’ll probably break one this weekend… But, I haven’t broken one in the year I’ve had them. We usually lose a couple of glasses a year.

1 Like

I also switched to all Grassl. Absolutely love the Liberte for champagne to the point I won’t drink them out of flutes. 1855 hits the needs for Bordeaux and Napa. Great glassware and service.

What is that? Does Grassl replace anything broken if you buy them?

1 Like

The Grassl Liberte is now my go-to glass. I love the design, and the shorter stem makes them fit very well in the top rack of my dishwasher. I have been waiting for BD to order some more!

Kirk,
I launched the brand on WB. As a courtesy and thank you for the support as well as to help get people to try something new, WB members are extended a $10 replacement option if you break the glass. This doesn’t extend to normal retail.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the Grassl tasting glasses for sparkling/whites and cru for burg. May try 1855 at some point esp if there’s a bd deal but using zalto bdx for now.

Chris how different is the liberte from the tasting glass?

I’m interested in checking out what kind of BD deal on Grassl glassware will be available. I typically use GGG for my reds and whites, with the exception of German riesling, for which I exclusively use Zalto Universal. It’s safe to say riesling is the majority grape varietal in my collection at this point. As someone who drinks a lot of German riesling, I’m curious how they compare to Zaltos.

Brian,

I have taken to using the Grassl Mineralité for German Riesling. It’s pretty much perfect.

2 Likes

If it has David’s seal of approval, guess I’ll need to test drive :slight_smile: Any noticeable differences between how the wines show vs. in Zalto Universal?

Big fan of my Grassl glasses and decanter. I broke one early on and Chris hooked it up. Friends love the weight and simplicity. High quality stuff

Looking forward to a Berserker Day offer!

What he said!!! [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif]

1 Like

The Mineralité is better for focusing the aromas. That’s why I use it.

So we use and love the Zalto Champagne glass for bubbles; which Grassl glass is comparable? Or is this just not a wine for which Grassls are appropriate/

1 Like

I was going to start a thread about this, but I’m a mostly rando lurker. So, +1 to Marcus for the credibility factor.

Anyhoo, last night some friends and I tasted through the Grassl lineup. I can attest that they are astonishingly excellent!

For those not familiar, Grassl is a new company making premium stemware. Chris Freemott is the US distributor and is on this board.

Chris offers a tasting set as a try before you buy. The set includes 5 glasses - one each of the Grassl line - and a decanter. The cost is $50, includes return shipping, and is refundable with a minimum purchase.

We tried the following wines: 2018 Kung Fu Girl, 2018 Lafage rose’, 2014 Winderlea Dundee Hills Pinot, 2015 Chateau Senejac Haut-Medoc, and 2007 Excelso Gran Reserva Rioja. Each Grassl glass received a small pour of the same wine, along with my current stems – Riedel Vinum XL Pinot and Spiegelau Bordeaux.

We first took turns smelling the nose. There was a tremendous variance. For example, the Kung Fu Girl went from “all pear & viscous menthol” in one glass to “kinda tropical and airy” in another. The Lafage rose’ had that Provence “bite” accentuated in one glass, while another glass showed soft and simple berries. There was an equally large variance in the taste. The different heights, bowl shapes, and curvatures change where the wine sits as you tilt the glass toward your mouth, which causes the wine to hit the palate in different ways.

All of them were winners. But for my palate, the Cru was the runaway winner. The Liberte and Mineralite were neck and neck for 2nd and 3rd place. The 1855 glass would be good for bigger, bolder wines, but I don’t drink many of those. The tasting glass was a distant 5th.

The losers were my everyday stems. The Riedel Vinum XL made an effort to hold its own, but my Spiegelaus are, uh, going to go live on a farm in the countryside.

I’ll definitely be making a purchase on Berserker Day.

If you are on the fence about spending money on glasses, I’d highly recommend at least trying the tasting set. You’ll have a fascinating evening geeking out on wine!