Looking for some Bordeaux suggestions

I’m hosting a dinner in a few weeks with some friends who enjoy wine, but are not wine geeks. They love wines like Silver Oak and Quilceda Creek. And while I enjoy those wines when offered, they aren’t something I usually drink - my favorite producers are Cadence and Andrew Will. I’ve recently started exploring Bordeaux and have enjoyed more traditional producers like Chasse Spleen, Sociando Mallet, Gloria, and Cantemerle. I was hoping to find another Bordeaux or two that might lean a little more toward my guests tastes, but also make me happy. Willing to spend a little more too - maybe in the $100 - $150 range? Suggestions???

Two suggestions, both at the top of their game.
Haut Bailly 2008 and Ducru Beaucaillou 1996.

Pavie and Pavie Macquin, Fleur Cardinale

No way, look at this palate. Sociando, baby!

I’d go Domaine de Chevalier. All. Day. Long. Classic but a modern fruit profile. A crowd pleaser.

Twenty- to thirty-year-old Brane Cantenac.

I take it your guests prefer newer versions of silver oak, etc? If so, do not go older than ~10-15 years as the fruit (similar to Napa) starts to diminish and secondary and possibly tertiary.

I would also lean towards the more NAPA vintages vs leaner which can be more green or lean. Suggestions in that price rage might be:

Domaine de Chevalier (as mentioned above)
Smith Haut Lafitte
Canon
Troplong Mondot
Pape Clement

Would suggest mixing vintages, say 2010 & 2015 smith haut lafitte or mixing producers. Also make sure they are decanter long enough as the newer vintages take time to open up to a ‘NAPA’ silky feel.

I highly recommend a 2010 smith haut lafitte and a Domaine de Chevalier.

Hope this helps.

2015 Pichon Baron. Blows the Silver Oak & QC out of the water. Very enjoyable right now.

Another thought is 2015 or 2016 Les Carmes Haut Brion. I prefer vintages through 2010, but the modern version is pretty impressive.

1 Like

+2. The 2000 Brane is in the zone and can be found for <$100, at least at auction. Another is the 1998 Grand Mayne, though the 1999 and 2000 would work well too.

I’ll second these choices.

Great stuff. Thanks everyone

Lascombes 2010 - or 2009

I know you are asking for Bordeaux but try this bordeaux blend from Argentina (it’s only $20-30 and fantastic!). Maybe throw it in to the mix for fun and see how people react.

Mascota vineyards unanime

Good to know. Was thinking of which BDX2K to drink this year.

Château Cantemerle 2010…and pocket the remaining money that you were willing to spend. :wink:

Colin [cheers.gif]

Frankly, that’s a great recommendation. I went deep on this vintage, and I’ve been buying Cantemerle since it was part of the Cordier stable! Love the use of the word “stable” in that old Cordier funk meaning. [cheers.gif]

Ryan if they love silver oak and quilceda creek. They will probably enjoy Rolland influenced Bordeaux.

• malescot st exupery
  • leoville poyferre
  • pape clement
  • lascombe Margaux

They should all be $100 or so (or less).

Taking into account all you have noted- I think in this case the 2014 Bordeaux vintage can be your best friend. I have tasted a number of the wines and they are not only very forward, but quite substantial. They are not massive like 2010 or 2009, but they do have some good heft to them and it is a rare vintage where almost everything I have tried is showing very well in the early days. They will be appealing to Bordeaux and CA Cab lovers alike- and it is a dream come true kind of vintage for people who are interested in learning about Bordeaux and want to try some younger vintages to track over time.

Chateau Talbot 2014 would be an excellent choice- and under $60. A beautiful and classic Talbot- and very easy to enjoy right now. If you want to spend a bit more- closer to the $150 price point- then I would go with either Chateau Montrose or Pichon-Lalande. Again- very classic expressions showing well, and wines that CA Cab lovers would also appreciate. If you would like to go the Pomerol route- then La Conseillante is a good call and should be $125ish at the most.

1 Like

2016 Prieure Lichine if you are OK with saving some money and drinking something younger. Beautifully balanced, seamless wine with nano-grained tannins…