A few Camerons

From last night:

2013 Cameron Clos Electrique Blanc - this was singing and reminded me of why I consider this one of the top Chardonnay bottlings in Oregon. Very lively. Citrus, stone, white flower with a touch of herbaceousness. Zingy acidity. Medium to long finish.

2013 Cameron Abbey Ridge Chardonnay - I’ve always struggled comparing this bottling to Clos Electrique as they are (to me) polar opposite wines. This bottle did not change that perception. Dense with with flavors I associate with advanced wines - honey, bleu cheese, marzipan, but nice acidity and medium to long finish. A very solid wine, just not a style of Chardonnay I particularly enjoy.

2008 Cameron Arley’s Leap Pinot Noir - Not a wine for those that despise the “Cameron funk.” That funk was very prominent here, although it’s intensity diminished with air revealing plum, spice, earth, and raspberry. Tannins mostly integrated with a medium finish. This still seemed young so will hold my other bottle for 3-5 years.

Thanks, Scott. Cameron wines can be so delicious when young. It’s hard to avoid the temptation! I have to keep a lot of the Dundee Hills pinots around to stay away from the top wines.

When do you think the Clos Electrique and Abbey Ridge pinots typically hit their peak?

Great question and one I hope others with a longer track record with Cameron Pinots (paging Rick Allen, Rich Trimpi, Ron Felthoven, and Marcus Goodfellow) can address.

Typically drink the SVD Chardonnays 4-7 years past vintage, I’ve yet to crack any of my SVD Pinots going back to 2010. Like you, I’ve drank a lot of the Reserve, Dundee Hills, Ribbon Ridge, and WV bottlings for those vintages. Based on the 2008 Arley’s (which is Abey Ridge fruit), I’m not in a big rush to open those SVD bottles. But hope to open some ‘10s and ‘11s in the next year or two to see how their evolving.

Every time I have had John’s top wines at the 10 year mark, they have been exceptional!

Thanks, Marcus! I have one bottle of ‘14 Arley’s Leap that I’ve been debating whether to open soon. The Abbey Ridges I’ve bought from ‘15 on are stashed deep away alongside my Goodfellow SVDs for much later consumption though. [cheers.gif]

Love Cameron wines. I have a number of older including the basic bottling at about age 30 and it was till alive.

Scott…Thanks for the TNs!

Just had a 2008 Abbey Ridge Pinot a few nights ago and it was “rocking”. Ripe side of my preference but straddling a beautiful middle ground between OR and Burgundy. Lots of life ahead. Some funk…kind of on the less stinky side actually. Arley’s typically has among the most in my experience. Need to stop being lazy and post TNs (Westrey Oracle 2008 was taking names too).

Only bought the Clos Electrique Pinot and Chard in 2013…not sure why. Glad to hear the Blanc was singing.

The best Oregon Pinots come in to their own around year 8 - 10 IMHO. They can age beautifully for 10+ years longer, depending. Good strategy to taste at 8 - 10 and decide on whether you want to pop the rest short term or let some rest. Cameron has an excellent track record for aging, in my experience.

RT

Eerie Rich. We had a 2008 Cameron Abbey Ridge PN on Friday night (the 24th) - open as you say. Our bottle seemed like it had even more potential to evolve to me, but was showing quite a bit. The first i’ve opened and glad I waited.

But the weird part is the reason I opened the 2008 Cameron is that two nights earlier we had the 2008 Westrey Oracle, which was very very good. To me fully developed. Not fading at all, but completely ready I think.

Like many of us, I bought a boat load of 2008 Oregon Pinot and based on the ripeness have had a lot of 2nd thoughts about it over the intervening 9 -10 years.
Now I’m thinking it’s going to be alright, at least with favorite producers. Wonder what we’ll be saying about them in another 10 years…

I’ve been working through my 2005-2009 Camerons over the last couple of months (still have quite a few left), and I’ve been surprised at how even the Dundee Hills bottling isn’t showing that much age. I’ve been a firm believer in drinking Oregon Pinot in the 8-10 year range, but I’m having to change my opinion.

Freaky dude! 2008 Westrey Oracle and Cameron Abbey…some positive cross-continental waves. Both really good. Don’t tell me you had a 2008 Belle Pente Murto and Estate Reserve too! Kicking myself for not buying 6 more Murto’s.

And yes, the trepidation continues. Definitely don’t want them any riper…and digging the “favs”.

Not sure where they’re going exactly but plenty of intensity at this point.

RT

Rich and Jim’s dialogue has prompted me to find the bottle of 2008 Westrey Abbey Ridge and drink it at some point in the next few months.

Rich - I think you’ll enjoy the ‘13 Clos Electrique Blanc. Since ‘14, I’ve only bought Clos Electrique Blanc (no Abbey Ridge), and purchased CE to AR PN at a 3:1 ratio.

how are you guys sourcing your Cameron. Since they don’t sell direct, I have a tough time trying to buy the wines.

I buy mostly from Sec (online retailer in Portland) with some from Vinopolis (also in Portland). Liner & Elsen also carries

https://www.wine-searcher.com/

RT

Opened that one too about a month ago. My bottle was pretty funky (YMMV), almost Cameron-esque. If it’s stinky, give it some air and a chance to come around.

RT

Vinopolis. We make a trip to Portland/WV every summer to flee the Houston heat. Vinopolis is always happy to hold them for me for several months until I can pick them up. I always walk out of there with a ton more than just the Camerons though. Amazing wine shop and they have the absolute best email offerings in the business imo.

Also, about a year ago, Benchmark had one of its bin sales and I was surprised to see ‘15 Cameron AR for $55. Bought several. Even though the ‘15 vintage is derided for being overly ripe in Oregon (I generally agree), Cameron somehow nailed it based on the entry level wines. My favorite vintage of the DH bottling.

I had the 2008 Clos Electrique pinot last month or so and it was smoking. I still have 2002, but with most Oregon wines I am vintage selective for the long term.

Also check out Great Wine Buys. They don’t have a web store like the others, but have been around for 20+ years. I know they have some around right now. They also have a box they rotate older vintages through.