Dom. de Chevalier 01 vs Cuvée JG Sociando-Mallet 01

I had planned on trying the Cuvée JG with a normal SM 2001, but the bottle of the latter was corked, so we had a Domaine de Chevalier instead. I opened them at the same time and decanted them.

Domaine de Chevalier 2001

One of my favourite vintages of DdeC, better IMO than the 00s I’ve had so far, this was like all the others I’ve tried. Subtle aromas of red berries, blackcurrant, quite a lot of gravel and tobacco, then an attack which is still bright - quite rich notes of blackcurrant, with a soft, plump middle section of wild strawberry and blackberry, framed by a subtle, earthy structure, just enough to keep the fruit in check without overcoming it, and a long, persistent finish. A lovely, perfectly balanced wine, with many years still to go.

Cuvée Jean Gautreau - Sociando-Mallet 2001

Much more expressive, the aromas of violet, cassis and plum are accompanied by Pauillac-like cedar and a little mint. The attack is tight, finely chiseled, with concentrated notes of plum and blackberry, before a middle section of much deeper blackcurrant, very Pauillac, then a lighter, Margaux-like finish, featuring the same wonderful wafts of raspberry that the last bottle had shown. Having had a normal SM 01 only recently, it’s easy to see where this is better - delicious though the normal one is, the JG just has more of everything, while retaining the same classic balance and elegance. It doesn’t really correspond to the norms of other wines, hence my references to a bit of Pauillac her and a touch of Margaux there, but that’s the impression it gave me.

We started with the DdeC, because I had a sneaking suspicion of how things would turn out, finishing half the bottle before getting into the JG. Side by side, there was simply no comparison. The Chevalier, which had wowed and charmed us with its soft, subtle fruit, suddenly tasted rather bland faced with the more intense blackcurrant and those wafts of raspberry. So they’re both wonderful wines, but the Cuvée Jean Gautreau is on another level.

Both excellent wines, but yea, the Sociando is another level. Really one of the finest 2001 Bordeaux that I have had. Thanks for the thoughtful notes.

Cheers Robert - I read on Chris Kissack’s site that Jean Gautreau’s ambition was to challenge Giscours. Chris thought that he could set himself much higher targets. Having had Giscours 01 only last week, I can confirm that he certainly passed that test with honours, since both the normal and the Cuvée JG are now a lot better. It would be fun to insert a bottle of the JG in a blind tasting of Premier League Bordeaux just to see how it would get on - I know it has been done before with the normal cuvée, with mixed results, but the JG is less idiosyncratic so I think it would do better.

Anyway, although I’m a fan, I was surprised again by just good it was - when I like a wine which is slightly off the radar, I always suspect I’ve been over-enthusiastic and I thought it was cruising for a bruising, but not at all.

Great, vivid notes, Julian. Thanks!

Julian – many thanks for enduring this undoubtedly painful science experiment! :slight_smile:

Two wines I adore. No surprise at all on the winner. Though Margaux in JG does come as a surprise.

Also more evidence of the current pleasure of 2001 bdx.

Quelle surprise! I had never thought that Sociando-Mallet could outdistance Domaine de Chevalier, but I’ve never had the 2001 Cuvée Jean Gautreau, though. Thanks for the exciting notes, Julian!

Cheers all - Rudi, sorry but yes, this is another for you to track down! I was only half surprised before opening them but the Domaine de Chevalier was so good that it still shocked me.
Kelly - actually the first one I tried was even more Margaux-like! Dead right about 2001 Bordeaux, which by and large are doing very well. It is weird, however, just how good the two Sociando-Mallets are in this vintage, compared to many of their peers.

Let’s all be clear, the 2001 Sociando Mallet normale is excellent in its own right, one of my favorites vintages over the last twenty years.

Indeed!

Not surprised by how well both wines showed, as so many wines from the vintage are surpassing expectations.
Delightful notes.

Thanks, Mark - I’ve always been a fan of 2001, but some, like the Giscours tasted recently, are starting to fade. Which affordable 2001s would you recommend?