TNR: 2016 Canon, and generally, impressions on the direction of this Chateau?

Curious.

What are your thoughts on this Chateau now, and then, and the differences, if any?

I will acknowledge a hole in my Canon knowledge from 2000-2013. I have bought 2014-16, and tried the latter two. Have not tried 2014.

I assume you read Leve’s website page.

Of course. That’s one perspective. And an excellent source. We had very different palates, however, once you venture outside the core classic Bordeaux wines.

His tasting notes are accurate to his palate, and thus informative, even if you don’t share his tastes.

Leve’s tastes to one side, his story of the chateau gives most of the information for the period you seem to be seeking. Canon had the same ownership and the same managing director for that period. For understandable reasons given the scope of his coverage, Jeff doesn’t give all the information on the winemaking at each chateau he covers, but it is likely that Canon was managed similarly to its sister estate, Rauzan Segla, which has had the same winemaker for the last 20 years. So Canon probably had consistent winemaking during that period. The big change, which Jeff does cover, is the replanting of the vineyards, which began in 1996 and is still ongoing. Thus much of the period you mentioned is marked foremost by young, developing vines. It sounds like, from this and other reports, that the vines are slowly producing better grapes and the wine is thus gradually improving as vintages permit.

I tried the 16 at the UGC last year, and it left me cold. Oh it was impressive and tasty, but too much in a Napa direction for me to get excited about.

Tasted the 2010 and 2015 last week and found them very polished.

Polished is a good adjective for the 16 too.

I found 2016 a bit disjointed and awkward, which perhaps isn’t surprising given its youth, but definitely when compared to the critics’ notes. What did surprise me was how red fruited it showed and with crisp acids. Nowhere near as voluptuous as the 2015. Some gloss but not OTT at all.

I was not particularly compelled to buy any more after trying it - I bought 3 bottles on a whim - but then another great deal floated across my bow. I’m prolly passing though. It’s where the deal is tempting, until you ask yourself, do you really want it. Was sorta wondering whether someone would offer a compelling reason to buy as it will do X, Y or Z with time.

Polished is truly a good word describing Canon 15/16/18 (or Rauzan Segla for that matter). I don’t mean that in a negative way contraty to Pat Martin above. The tannins and texture are ultra-fine and the wines show great purity although I agree for the time being and this young the fruit is too dominant (but nowhere near some OTT Napa wines in terms of ripeness… not even the 2018). I suppose these wines will show amazing with some age. Delicate, feminine Bordeauxs for Burgundy lovers.

Too rich for this baker’s son : I’ll leave you high rollers to debate this one. But one of the most memorable Bordeaux I had was the 1989.

Certainly the 15, 16, 18 vintages produced ripe wines in Bordeaux and the trend seems to favor warmer vintages going forward. So it will be interesting to see if changes in whether really start impacting grape growing and make it harder for Chateaus that normally value restraint/balance to dial back. pileon

Robert… 2016 Canon is a very good wine. You should prefer that over the 2015, which naturally I find to be the better vintage. Honestly, as Chris pointed out from my site, the biggest changes at Canon continues to be the aging of the vines. Next, much more attention is paid to each parcel in the vineyard and in the cellars than they did previously.

As for the differences in the cellar Vs. Rauzan Segla, at Canon, the maceration period is just slightly longer. But for the most part, the practices are almost identical.

For those that are interested in details about Canon, Learn about Chateau Canon St. Emilion Bordeaux, Complete Guide