Peay Offer; Any Bites?

Mine came in today; not sure how many waves they now do. I was at the winery a month ago and tasted most of these. I’d highly recommend the Savoy pinot. Only a few wineries get this fruit. All the pinots were good, but the Savoy stood out. The syrahs are classic cold climate syrahs along the lines of Failla and were also very good; there is just one in this release.

Yes, I like these wines, too, but at this point I own too many to purchase more. I don’t know about other folks, and I know it’s disappointing for winemakers, but with rare exceptions, I prefer to purchase wine for just a few years and then move on and cellar something I haven’t yet had. In the case of Peay I have wine going back to '08, so they are something of an exception, though this is also roughly true of Rhys (starting 2010, I think), but at this point I am more interested in accumulating some wines and winemakers that are new to me. Other folks have this experience? Or the same every year?

I really like the Peay wines; I have not had a bad one yet. The Syrahs are really good cool climate wines although I am moving away from Syrah on the whole. I dropped some California producers known for pinot noir and chard from my regular purchases but kept Peay and Kutch. The Sonoma Coast, Savoy, and Scallop Shelf are my favorite pinots; I also buy the Sonoma Coast and Estate Chards.

1 Like

How much are the Savoy Pinots on release?

Interesting conversation, I really like the Peay wines. The Chards and Pomarium and Scallop…but all are good. I have basically pulled my US purchases back to Peay, Kutch, Rivers, and one oregon producer (Vincent). I enjoy the verticals but I also love these wines young. The kutch 2017 chard is a classic example (it was perfection young but huge upside). From a standard ongoing order these four tend to fill the short and mid term cellar planning. But going back to Peay I don’t think this winery has peaked which also excites me…vintages variation aside each year gets better.

I buy every year Twice a year actually.

Btw have there been any external ratings for the new release of Peay wines? To clarify the ones just released!

$59

I’m with Will. Peay is a core cellar item. Joshua I hear you on switching things up front. I hope to continue narrowing the diversity of producers. I’ve been finding that for many I’m just trying to find the specific wine that I want to cellar. It’s tough since there is a bit of variation at different wineries. I’ve found peays wines to be pretty consistent for me and a house favorite. But always a personal preference and there are way too many options.

Just to be clear, Julie, I am a big Peay fan–like many, the Scallop Shelf is the one for me. I even tried organizing an offline to do taste a vertical here in Bloomington, but it fell through. Maybe sometime I’m in NYC again I will try to put one together.

Great idea, Joshua. Peay Scallop Shelf vertical would be grand tasting indeed! Bloomington doesn’t know what it’s missing.

We had the 2012 Peay Savoy last night.
Was fantastic.
Always a prompt to buy more.

Went for 6 on the current release. Tasted in Sonoma a few years back and decided I would try some on this release.