TN: 2016 Château Sénéjac - (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

2016 Château Sénéjac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (12/28/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: “fresh”; red/purple fruit mix; herbal; smells like it will be light-medium bodied.

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: easy-drinking; approachable; medium fruit concentration; herbal & red-fruited; light tannins; alc. not noticeable; probably best to Drink Now and over the next ten years. A solid re-buy at $20 or less. gut impression score: high 80s.

Thanks for the note Brian, big fan of Senejac but haven’t had the '16. I’ve found that these are excellent values and age well in the short term. A recent '12 was somewhat boring on day one but excellent on day two, and the '10 is drinking very well right now as well. I’ll look to add a few of these at some point.

Nice luncheon Bordeaux, which I just had a half bottle of with lunch. Good value, medium bodied and terrific with food. Good young Bordeaux for consumption now.

Agree with both of you. I like that there is no heavy-handed oak or tannin — it’s just open and ready to go! It’s a wine I try to check-out almost every year because the years it is “on,” it represents incredible value.

Re no heavy oak or tannin… Jeff Leve’s note on the '18 does mention that it was the first vintage for a new consultant, so hopefully no major style change as I like these the way the are.

+1 [cheers.gif]

2010 and a few vintages before were made by the Pontet Canet team. After that it was another group of people, so it’s going to be quite different wine.

Yet another change then…

I forgot about the Pontet Canet involvement James. Jeff Leve’s note says Jean Michel Laporte consults and first made the '18 vintage. I don’t know that name, a quick search shows he’s the director of La Conseillante, and was appointed director of Talbot in '18. Not much more information than that. Limited notes about him here on the board seem somewhat positive so maybe he’s not the type to make major stylistic changes.

How would you compare this to 03 , 09 or 10 ?

Havent had 09 and 03. I think the 10 is better. I find this wine typically reflects the vintage’s stereotype.

Sounds like a great everyday drinker.

Markus, it is perfect for that.

Had a 2010 last night that was perfect with about 30miN of air. Definitely scratches the Bordeaux itch. Only 1 bottle left though.

Local shop has 2014 and 2016 - any guidance between those two?

Have had both. my TNs read the same. I’d go with whichever is cheaper.

Went with the 2016. Opened first bottle tonight and it was excellent

I picked up 10 2009s at an auction last year for $24 per bottle, having never tried Senejac before. Super pleased with it, the 09 is in a great place right now.

2016 > 2014, I think - 2014 was a little dilute to me, but ymmv.

Hi Jenny (or is it Justine, or Jeff, or J…?),
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! [cheers.gif]