TN: 2007 Lillian Winery Syrah (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

• 2007 Lillian Winery Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (1/31/2020)
    Cellared since release…still quite dark and youthful with liqueured berry fruits of raspberry,blueberry,bing cherry…creamy and smooth…little cola tingle, tarted up with some cherry skin sours…spicy white pepper, dusty oak barrel…complexities of olive tapenade, tar, cold smoked meat…wonderful florals of white flower, violets, and licorice. Age has brought on a little more elegance and polish, but there is no foolin the Oooooze-ness here! The fruit source ala SQN is very evident…as well as the winemaking. Maybe a little rougher than SQN…but would be a hard blind to tell the difference between the two. Absolute quality, aging well! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow. I haven’t seen a Lillian in a long time. I remember very much enjoying them. Glad they are holding up so well

Great pull, she does an amazing job and it’s good to see it drinking so well.

I have only had the '09. It was delightful. Still have one in the cellar.

Thanks for the note! I literally had my hand on a 2007 Lillian Blue Label about an hour ago and decided to grab something else instead. I love Lillian and buy it every year. I agree that if you close your eyes, it’s hard to tell a SQN from a Lillian. In fact, I opened a 2009 SQN Thrill of Stamp Collecting Syrach last night and it was good, not great. This would have edged it out.

I had my hand on the Lillian Blue as well…as I couldn’t remember which bottle was which! [scratch.gif] Most confusion bottles…

Did you decant?

I have a lot of Lillian still in my cellar, and I gave up trying to figure out which bottle is which, I just pull one and drink it now

No. Open in bottle for an hour. There is a lot of sediment though.

I bought for a few years around that vintage but dropped off. How much do they go for these days?