2015 Nemea

2015 Red Stag Nemea, Spiropoulos

Medium ruby color, less dark than expected. The moderately intense aromas feature pure red fruit with slight green herbal touches and a little minerality. The palate is medium-bodied, nicely balanced with some black fruit along with the red, moderate tannins already integrating. The flavors are straightforward, but I like the bit of sinew in the texture. This is a modern style of Greek wine, well made, but perhaps lacking a little in character and intensity. It was good match for a turkey and stuffing dinner with plenty of Bell’s seasoning (heavy on the sage for those who don’t know this classic New England seasoning for stuffing). Rated 88, cost about $18, fair value and a nice change from the Usual fare.

Dan Kravitz

Interesting wine, thanks for bringing it up. I know almost nothing about Greek wines…besides avoiding Retsina unless there’re powerful forces at play. I didn’t realize Nemea was a region (one of the better one’s, reportedly). Or Spiropoulos was the producer. Agiorgitiko is the grape (no idea how to pronounce it). $15 at Astor NYC.

RT