Red Burgundy Help

Hello,

I’m looking to get into Red Burgundy and I would like all your help if possible. I have a local wine shop nearby where I live and was wondering if someone could help me find a couple of bottles from this link to try and get a better understanding of what Burgundy has to offer. I’m trying to stay under $100 if possible, I also see they have a lot of 1979’s whats your opinion on this vintage? They seem to be pretty cheap for such an old wine.
Let me know your thoughts.

https://www.winewatch.com/wine-shop-d2/red-burgundy-c17/sort-price/

Thank you,

Oh the Humanity!..see this thread

Or you could just save yourself now and start exploring Oregon pinot…

If you know the folks at the shop, you should ask about all of the older wines. There are some oddballs there that are going to be hard to get a good read on without trying them. I would suggest you start with 2009 Domaine Lignier-Michelot Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes (375ml) 375ml - Wine Watch Half bottle so the full bottle would be over your threshold, but 2009 should be showing nicely now. Other things I’d recommend trying are 2020 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Couchereaux 1er Cru - Wine Watch and 2008 Domaine du Chateau de Chorey Les Cras Vieilles Vignes, Beaune Premier Cru - Wine Watch 2008 will be a “prettier” vintage - not as ripe as the 2009.

If you want to dabble in an older bottle, I would look at 1970 Jaboulet Vercherre Pommard - Wine Watch I had a '72 Corton from this outfit at Berns last year and it was delicious. 1970 is not noted as a great year, but I’ve had good ones. This might also be interesting 1970 Alexis Lichine Hospices des Nuits Cuvee Cabot - Wine Watch

I only considered things that they say are in stock. The “available in 5-7 days” is often outdated inventory from a local distributor which may be disappointing to chase after.

Good luck.

Cheers,
fred

I’ve had some very enjoyable 1979 Burgundies in past, but they were fully mature years ago- and those were mostly good 1er and GCs from good producers. There are a couple good producers, Drouhin did well in '79, but the Drouhin is a village Savigny. That’s a really weird collection of 79s - producers I’ve never or barely heard of, or wish I hadn’t (Laboure-Roi), and almost all are village wines or Cote Chalonaise. I’d csll all those very high risk.

Second your dislike from Laboure-Roi, Dale,

At least back in the day. I’ve heard buzz that they have recently improved but cannot speak to that myself.

Just go to Wine Watch and ask Andy to recommend some things to try.

The best advice!
Andy owns the shop but he has people who are very experienced that can help you also.

I believe Flavio, Cheech and Ward have all been there over 10 years.

Cheech can help you with some dope recommendations too.

…then lunch at Fish Shack in Pompano [cheers.gif]