Question: What pairs well with steak tartare?

The subject line says it all. Either red or white suggestions welcomed.

Classic pairing - nebbiolo and Carne Cruda

Champagne! Maybe Ledru :slight_smile:

Champagne or a still Rosé

I like it with grand cru Chablis or a good 1er cru Chassagne-Montrachet, ripe years in either case.

I tend to go to Champagne. I’ve had success with a light, balanced-slightly-acidic Pinot as well.

Pinot noir

Nebbiolo

Champagne is the classic pairing.

Pinot Gris or Grauburgunder

has the flavour stuff to handle both the flesh and the condiments (more prominent in the profile),
texture to complement

If it’s a classic French steak tartare - that is, not f’kd with by adding too many stupid elements - then rose champagne is the right answer. Preferably a full bodied rose.

Champagne but I’ve also had success with cru beaujolais.

Agreed, Rose Champagne is perfect.

We had it last week, but it was an intermezzo between courses, and actually paired quire nicely with a mid-weight 1982 Bordeaux (Pomerol). I don’t think it would work with a young red.

Krug

I would either chose a Grüner Veltliner Smaragd (many choices) or a (close to) mature Hermitage blanc.
Did both already - and it worked well.

I agree with rose champagne.
it has the body and richness to hold up to the capers, onion, lemon juice and cornichons

What doesn’t pair? In a place we arrange many of our tastings I almost always order a steak tartare just because it’s a reliable performer with almost everything, be it a hearty red, crisp bubbly or a rich Chenin.

However, a moderately tannic sparkling red (Sparkling Shiraz, dry Lambrusco, bubbly Bonarda from Argentina) is a terrific pairing from outside the box.

Aged Auslese.

A large Big Green Egg heated to 700 degrees, and then some Howell Mountain Zinfandel.

Very interesting how many people routinely use rose for pairings. I have never found it too food friendly. I tend to use it as an aperitif.