I love these American pinot noirs. Maybe only these.

In no order, price irrelevant:

Burt Williams era (pre-1998) Williams Selyem, all of them.

Ken Burnap-era Santa Cruz Mt. Vineyards Estate bottling.

One bottle of David Bruce Estate Reserve 1992, in a special box, wax capsule, the last vintage before the vines were ripped out, drank it 2005 or so. I’ll buy every bottle I see but there aren’t any.

J Thomas 2002 and 2008. Wow.

Gavin Chanin’s Lutum Sanford and Benedict 2013. Lutum is no more. Gavin Chanin’s Chanin wines with a few more years aging for the oak and sweetness to settle down? I think. Not certain.

Young Hagen Riddle Vineyard, unique, terrific. BTW absurd Berserkerday prices, offer closed. Addictive terroir driven wine.

All of Paul Lato’s pinots but his Santa Ritas are my favorite. (Not sure about the Pisoni)

Arterberry Dundee Hills but not the more expensive single vineyards (the Maresh Chard though is terrific)

With food, anything from the savory Ladd lineup.

Calera with tons of age.

A bottle of Arcadian Charlie Fu served blind and I was certain it was Burgundy.

Radio Coteau Marsh. Two vintages made 2002 and 2003.

August West but it’s vineyard by vineyard.

Rhys…hmm…the Swan Terrace might be my favorite American pinot with ten years age, and it sets the bar impossibly high for the rest …Skyline is on its own planet …they all need ten years plus except maybe Horseshoe…all of the 2006’s and 2008’s are terrific despite the very young vines…the 2009’s are not my style…2023-on I’ll be very happy when the post-2009’s are ready, with more mature vines

I’m thinking of a few other wineries but they are “correct” more than they resonate. Anyone reading this, who suggests other wineries? I suspect that will be my reaction. Golf clap.

Marcassin: every one I’ve had has been youthfully disjointed, based on the Chard I think they need 20 years to settle down

Au Bon Climat: I missed the boat. A year ago I had two together, nothing like each other, I suspect Clendenen is a genius. But I don’t known enough. I have one bottle of Chanin Au Bon Climat, 2011 I think, I might never find the right time to open it

Santa Lucia Highlands, all of it: no. Indistinct soup.

You can add Sojourn to the list.

If you dig Lutum, Last Bottle Wines picked up a massive cache of their remaining inventory prior to closing and the dump the wines every now and then. I bought a few from them. They offered the sanford and benedict 2016 about 3 months ago and had the Rita’s Crown last week.

Great call on Young Hagen

Missed the boat? Has it left? Did something happen to Jim?

Fun list, btw! I might ask a few more questions later.

Really enjoy Chanin and it pains me to share widely that the 2016 Bien Nacido Chardonnay sampled at their tasting room last year is absolutely fantastic. A steal on K&L right now at $35. Like GC Chablis in minerality and flavor profile if a little lacking in body. His pinots are pretty darn good too but I had a couple mixed experiences with older bottles on WineBid.

I am a huge fan of Paul Lato wines, literally everything he makes (pinot, chard, Syrah, Grenache). In 2015, he made not only a Pisoni bottling, but also made a special Reserve bottling from the vineyard that is killer. Having a hard time keeping my hands off of my bottles.

We tend to like big pinot’s like KB and Cirq. To that list, I would also add Morlet, who seems to get very little play on this board, as well as Aubert.

Morlet is definitely fantastic, we’re opening the 2012 Joli Coeur for my wife’s birthday tonight.

George - have you ever tried Mount Eden’s Pinots? From your list, a bottle with some age on it might be right up your alley.

George,
I hear you. If you haven’t spent some time with the following (obviously not a comprehensive list), they’ve impressed me over the last couple years:
Sante Arcangeli Split Rail (really a steal)
Drew Estate Wines
Littorai pretty much all of them
Hanzell Estate recent vintages
2013 Kutch Falstaff
Of course the Mount Edens. Epic in good vintages, 05, 07, 12, 13, 14. Chanin, ABC, Aradian, etc.
Samuel Louis Pelio Vineyard
Roar 16 vintage on (seriously)
Ian

Agree that Mount Eden seems a big omission. Aren’t they in your backyard, George, or may be 2000 feet above it ?

George, are there any other producers from Oregon that you’ve tried, but don’t make the list?

The Paul Lato wines are one of my all time favorites as well. Nice to see him get some accolades recently from WA on the Pisoni vineyard designates.

I guess I meant, it would take too long for me to explore all the different offerings of ABC. I wouldn’t know where or in which vintage to start.

Good question. I don’t know much. What’s the Duck one? Dusky Goose? Not my style.
I prefer Coattails, made by Mike Etzel’s sons, to Beaux Freres.
I have some Walter Scott pinots but have not tried one.
Stephen Goff is so-so at best.
I had Adelsheim recently, did not like it, then Adelsheim Elizabeth I think, loved it.
Domaine Serene not my style.
Ken Wright not my style.
Penner Ash and Patricia Green no opinion, I’m aging a couple of bottles of each.
Eyrie never tried…yet.

I lump Mt. Eden pinot, Dehlinger, and Tony Soter together in that I admire the quality but they seem to lack soul.

Really didn’t like ROAR after several tries. Then last month I tried their winemaker’s Flywheel wines and really liked them and you are the second person this year to tell me ROAR’s style has changed into something I’d like.

However I was told the same about Kosta Browne but ten or so years ago I briefly joined a tasting group and my third or so time, someone poured four different Kosta Brownes blind, and I was so viscerally and vocally offended by all four of them that I was never invited back, so I’m not interested in whether I’d like them now.

Ok now I’m flooded with thoughts of many very respected pinots I really don’t like.

I’d still invite you back. At least for the show.

Shut out the bad thoughts, George. Focus on your breath.

The wines you describe as not your style - aligns with my tastes as well. If you have a chance you should give Goodfellow a try - I think they’d resonate with you.

My friend Sean loves Goodfellow, gifted me one, I drank it, way too young for me to get a read on it, I did not give it enough air.