TN: 2017 Mickaël Bourg Cornas Les p`tits bouts

The hunt for the next Allemand continues. The size of the production here certainly fits the bill with approx 2700 bottles made per vintage. The juice? Pretty damn promising I have to say. I’m really digging this and at 34€ it’s very well priced, of course we all know how quickly that can change. ABV a moderate 13.5%, which I quite like.

• 2017 Mickaël Bourg Cornas Les p`tits bouts - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (8.2.2020)
    Slow ox’d for five hours. One cannot expect anything but primary fruit at this point and that is indeed what we have here on the nose. High pitch blackberry, ground black pepper, floral notes with hints of minerals and bouillon. Mid to full bodied on the palate with awfully attractive ripe blueberry and blackberry laden fruit. Superbly fresh, very bright in its expression. Excellently structured with tightly gripping tannins. Refined and just very pretty. Feels effortless and confident, nothing forced or clumsy about it. Remarkably juicy and joyful. I’ve been skeptical about the vintage early on but I just might buy some of this for the cellar.

Posted from CellarTracker

Ilkka,

Just saw this terrific note on Cellartracker. I’d been debating whether to buy some wine from this producer and your note pushed me over to a yes! SommPicks here in the U.S. has the 2014. I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

Since we shared the bottle, I grab this opportunity to post my own TN here for comparative purposes.

• 2017 Mickaël Bourg Cornas Les P’tits Bouts - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (8.2.2020)
    A Syrah blended from several vineyards (60% from the 1950s, 40% from 2004-05). Fermented without destemming as whole bunches. Macerated for 3 weeks. Aged for 16-18 months in old Burgundy pièces (4-8 yo) and larger (400-500 l) oak casks. Bottled unfined and unfiltered. 13,5% alcohol. Slow-oxed for 6-7 hours.

Almost fully opaque, youthful blackish red with a subtly purplish hue and a pale, translucent ruby-red rim. Very open, expressive and youthful nose with intense primary aromas of blackberries, blood, some crushed peppercorns, light bilberry tones, a little bit of stony minerality, a hint of ink and a floral touch of violets. The wine feels ripe, silky and medium-to-moderately full-bodied on the palate with quite intense primary flavors of fresh blackberries and boysenberries, sweeter blueberry tones, some crushed peppercorns, light mineral notes of sun-baked stones and gravel, a little bit of blood and even a hint of rusted iron. Despite the silky, suave mouthfeel, the wine is wonderfully firm as well, thanks to its high acidity and ample - yet very ripe and gently grippy - tannins. The finish is pure, juicy and so clean with ripe - yet not sweet - fruit flavors of boysenberries and brambly blackberries, some crushed peppercorns, a little bit of sanguine iron, light floral notes of violets and a hint of sweeter bilberry. The aftertaste feels long, supple and succulent with gentle tannic grip that slowly grows in intensity as the tannins pile up on the gums.

A wonderfully pure, juicy and honest Cornas - albeit one that is surprisingly fresh and delicate not only for a Cornas, but also for a 2017 Syrah. If one is expecting a big, ripe and tough Cornas, this certainly isn’t anything like that: this feels more like a classic St. Joseph or a warm-vintage Crozes Hermitage. If something is left for wanting here, is some roughness and rusticity - this is just slightly too clean, polished and fruity for what I like in a Cornas: no meat, olives or funk and just a pinch of black pepper. Nevertheless, this is a tasty and convincing yet not dead-serious effort where the pure, vibrant Syrah fruit is wonderfully at the fore. Most likely this will only get better as the wine ages and loses its exuberantly youthful fruit, albeit this is wonderfully accessible and delicious already now. Priced according to its quality at 34€.

Horrendous label, though. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’d only tried his whites previously (St Peray) which I really enjoyed. For ‘18 just picked up both the St Peray and this one. Looking forward to trying it!

Happy to have made a difference champagne.gif

That said I would be really interested to try the 2014 of this given how big of a fan of the vintage in the Northern Rhône I am. Obviously a vintage many critics dislike or at least do not rate highly but I find it approachable, transparent and eminently drinkable (with food, at least) - what’s not to like?

Imported to the US? New producer to me…

Cool, guys. Have not tried this producer. Just grabbed some. Weygandt in DC carries it.