Best Rosé Champagne ever

Jérôme Prévost La Closerie “Fac-Simile” Rosé Extra Brut

“Prévost’s village of Gueux has a very specific terroir – the soils are sandy and calcareous clay and are uniquely studded with tiny fossils that date back 45 million years.”

WOW…….best Rosé Champagne ever. Of course no kitsch, instead laser-like focus, sublime, elegant and a basket of red fruits. Loooong finish. Brilliant.

Fac-Simile is a great example of what can be achieved with Pinot Meunier and Rosé Champagne in general.

96/100

IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
Skol,
Martin

P.S. a danish friend told me that Cédric Bouchard Champagne Rosé de Saignée Creux d`Enferis is as good or even better. I haven’t tasted it so far.

Move on, nothing to see here. Fu bought them all already.

-mark

Martin, I will look out for this but not the Bouchard. Had it two weeks ago and on the nose it was marred (IMHO) by this natural yeasty unclean tone. It blee of gradually but I never really liked it, as opposed to all the other wines from Bouchard we tried that evening (all his cuvées)

Martin, I will look out for this but not the Bouchard. Had it two weeks ago and on the nose it was marred (IMHO) by this natural yeasty unclean tone. It blew of gradually but I never really liked it, as opposed to all the other wines from Bouchard we tried that evening (all his cuvées)

Interesting Martin, maybe bottle variation?! Or it is not your cup of tea.

All the guys from Copenhagen praised this Rosé from Bouchard. In addition a British wine expert said last week-end:

“I would probably put Facsimile and Creux d’Enfer as my top two. Bérêche Campania Remensis can be up there, though I might be a little subjective.

Facsimile is indeed like a rapier, but elegant with it. Creux is ethereal, like fine leaf tea whose scent wisps hauntingly to the soul.”

Martin, guess it comes down to personal preference as others liked it more than I, and I know I am quite sensitive to such ‘natural’ aromas.

Me too.

But I haven’t tasted your version. Around 10 years ago I tasted several Champagnes from Cedric Bouchard and was deeply impressed regarding the finesse. BTW, Thomas Iversen from Copenhagen served it to me. I guess you know him or his blog.

http://madwine.blogspot.com

10 years are a long time in a winemakers life and I maybe/certainly Cedric Bouchard moved to the “Natural Wine” direction. Thomas is also a big fan of Natural Wines besides Champagne.

I love Bouchard’s rosé but like Ulysse Collin’s saignée even more. As close to effervescent red burgundy as I"ve ever had. The definition of vinous.

My first thought was…“let’s all thank Fu for ensuring these are impossible to find for a reasonable price.”

No kidding. Impossible to find ay any price. Luckily, I’ve been buying them for a long time (almost every vintage made) - and still have - probably more of it than Fu :slight_smile: . The real question is - do they age? I’ve recently found that the 2010 Beguines was at peak - from my 50 degree cellar…

Regarding Cedric Bouchard rose, it is an earthy wine that polarizes. It requires a bordeaux or red burg Zalto…and time…and a decant…it can be like nothing else in the region. When it is on, it is amazing…sometimes it is not on.

Bereche rose is great and the best QPR.

Selosse Rose isn’t too bad either.

-mark

I agree regarding Bouchard’s Creux d’Enfer, it is incredible.

Had 06 and still best Champagne drank ever, it was mind bending. Bit disappointed by 09. Will be drinking 10 soon, will report.

Agree regarding decant, time, right glasses. It is a meditative wine and requires contemplation, like rarely I have experienced.

Have some Collin but never drank any, should give it a go soon. Prevost always delicious, but less “special” than Bouchard IMHO

I need to try lots more Rose, but for me, this is the Usain Bolt of the field. From last November/December, I think it was my #2 WOTY

2004 Dom Perignon Rose

Dazzling in its intensity, almost zero dosage in feel and taste, but the clarity of the wine is something that rarely comes along. Like the 08 Cristal, demands your full attention. It’s a super-close horserace as to which I like better. At least 30 years of life left, it would not be wrong to let this air out for at least an hour. Special. When I give it some more thought, this has to come out best. WOTD and the weekend.

Well, you got me excited, I love pinot meunier Champagne anyway, we have a single bottle of this purchased in Boston in June, 2013. Any thoughts on best drinking window (I am not able to look for any disgorgement information at the moment, sorry).

Thanks!

Piollot Rosé de Maceration Extra Brut is exactly like this.

Deep ruby, more red than rosé color. The wine is aged in an ex-Burgundy barrel, which only accentuates the Burgundian tones even further. Big and muscular, but not heavy or blowzy. Terrific stuff.