TN: 1974 Guido Porro Barolo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 1974 Guido Porro Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/3/2020)
    Started to get going after 6 full hours of air. That said, anyone smelling this wine (or at a minimum, this particular bottle) would have poured it straight down the drain. But, by the 2 hour mark, most of the truly offensive aromas had disappeared. Still, it was hours 6, 7, and 8 where the wine really began to offer good purity, and focus. It’s medium(-) bodied, with pure tertiary goodness that accurately recalls the grape, place and time. Not improving from here, drink up; if you have some, be sure to decant for sediment, then aerate for at least 6 hours. Cork and fill in vg condition; 13,5% abv., 720ml bottle. recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. When you say air, do you mean decant or slow ox?

Interesting. I like Porro’s wines, but don’t think I would ever think about aging a Porro wine for 46 years.

Hi, Pat
aeration in decanter.

Thank you. It continues to amaze me how much air these old nebbiolo require even though I’ve witnessed it many times.

I’ve used an hour per decade (on the truly older ones) since I watched a 5th generation producer apply the same in 2008. The initial aromas are my guide for more/less; has served me well.

saluti

I enjoyed this wine. Tim’s note (for a change) is spot on.

Hi Tim,

I haven’t ever had a truly old nebbiolo, but there is a bottle I may be opening with a friend a bit later this year & I’m going to remember this advice. Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say that the initial aromas are your guide for more or less time?

certainly, Bret
the more off-putting the initial aromas, the more likely I am to extend that rule of thumb by 15-30 mins per decade/hour; vice versa. Text or call me if it’s not clear.

Good info, thx.