Williams Selyem Spring 2020 Release

Got the release email this morning. I enjoy their wines but they’re certainly not inexpensive.

2018 Central Coast Pinot Noir
2018 Sonoma County Pinot Noir
2018 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
2018 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
2018 Terra De Promissio Vineyard Pinot Noir
2018 Westside Road Neighbors Pinot Noir
2018 Olivet Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
2018 Unoaked Chardonnay
2018 Heintz Vineyard Chardonnay
2018 Olivet Lane Vineyard Chardonnay
2018 Fanucchi-Wood Road Zinfandel
2018 Papera Vineyard Zinfandel
2018 Vista Verde Vineyard Late Harvest Gewurztraminer

I like their appellation offerings which, as noted, are not cheap but are well made and enjoyable.
Sometimes I get lost in the SVD world of WS; they have many offerings and sometimes I do not find them worth the higher cost (often at the $70-$90 + range).

Its tough to follow all of their SVDs but I do think the pinots worth the price if you like a heavier style.

I bought a few bottles of their pinots this time around. The hardest part is letting them sit for 5 plus years…

We’ve decided that for the 6 or 7 times a year we’re craving CA pinot there’s not really much point in drinking anything else so we usually get about a half case per release. I feel like every other Sonoma pinot we open we’re just thinking “this is good, but for $10 more I could be drinking Selyem which is what I really wanted anyway”. I think they just have our number, the heart wants what the heart wants. This time around we got 2 Central Coast, 1 Sonoma County, 1 RRV, 1 WS Road. In the fall we usually just go deep on Bucher.

1 Like

Ditto on the Bucher!

1 Like

I was just up there a week ago and they were pouring the 2018 RRV and it was delicious FWIW.

Bryan - I think the same thing! I keep drinking variety but always want to go back to WS. I’ve been buying two cases per year on the allocation, and perhaps another case or two off WineBid because I know I like these wines with some age. Also, every time I think I no longer like a certain vineyard or blend, that changes quickly. We visit the winery once per year and I always find a vineyard I wasn’t sure I still liked anymore but maybe it’s my good mood in wine country?). I’m in for a case or so as I find more value in the appellation wines as you mentioned.

I’ve always preferred the Sonoma Coast to the RRV but I also had the RRV just yesterday and loved it.

So last year Wine Enthusiast ranked the 2017 Sonoma County 98pts and their #2 Wine of the year. Was that overly generous or does that wine really have an off the charts QPR? Thoughts on the 2018? I don’t follow WE rankings so have no baseline about their preferences.

2021 Spring Release
2019’s on deck. Thoughts?

2019 Central Coast Pinot Noir
2019 Sonoma County Pinot Noir
2019 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
2019 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
2019 Terra De Promissio Vineyard Pinot Noir
2019 Westside Road Neighbors Pinot Noir
2019 Olivet Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
2019 Unoaked Chardonnay
2019 Heintz Vineyard Chardonnay
2019 Olivet Lane Vineyard Chardonnay
2019 Fanucchi-Wood Road Vineyard Zinfandel
2019 Papera Vineyard Zinfandel
2019 Vista Verde Vineyard Late Harvest Gewurztraminer

hm. I didnt get an email! does this release come out in stages like some others do?

I don’t think so. They make a TON of wine. I doubt they stagger the release. A lot of options in their portfolio. Hard to choose. The Sonoma County is $39. A great weeknight early drinker in my opinion.

February 8th

hey! thats my birthday!

it must be a sign.

I don’t buy off the list anymore as I have enough and am on a buying hold on the whole.

That said, when I did I tended to buy at the bottom and the top of the range.

The Sonoma county is a screaming deal and I’ve loved every bottle I’ve had (including a 1986 at 30 years of age!). They’re quite transparent on their site on the vineyard sources and it can be quite impressive, although recently it’s been less of the premier vineyards and more their own sources I think.

Then I’ve focused on Rochioli, Precious Mountain, Morning Dew, Allen etc. (basically the legendary vineyards they have been privileged to have access to some of the best blocks of).

Since I’m on a budget, I have to pass on the Spring offering, but will definitely buy several off of the Fall offering. Seems like the appellation wines are very good in a very good vintage. Would love to grab a bunch off of both Spring and Fall… Oh yeah, lover Bucher! Cheers!

I know the title is for last year but seems there’s recent posts as well. Can anyone help with what’s best to go for? The fall was my first allocation and I’ve only had the Weir vineyard from what I purchased but love it. Was thinking of picking up some west side road and terra but any recommendations would be helpful. Might just get one of everything so I know for next year.

1 Like

I actually look forward to the Spring release more than the fall. This offering helps restock my early drinking window “Tuesday night” wines.

I plan to get: 4 Sonoma county, 1 central coast, 3 west side, 3 Russian river, 1 olivet.

The Sonoma County and Central Coast are really great values (with the Sonoma having more red fruit and the Central Coast exhibiting a little more black fruit). TDP is fantastic and I just love West Side Road Neighbors which is pretty much a “best-of” blend of several famous/well-established vineyards. I would also say that the Unoaked Chardonnay is a pretty version of Cali-Chablis style and well done. WS is incredibly consistent and there is a lot of impressive terroir variation among the SVDs. I tend to stock up on the blends in the Spring (County and WSRN) and stock up on fewer bottles across many SVDs in the fall. You are not going to go wrong by trying different things over time, though eventually you will groove into the distinction between very good wines and your absolute favorite based on your individual tastes.

1 Like

im pretty happy to see so many people saying the “lower” level ones are the plays here. as a VERY new W-S drinker I kind of looked at the SVD wines with a little bit of hesitancy because of the price jump-- I always go back to knowing how good the pinot from Oregon is that I can get for that same price haha

I’d agree that the Sonoma County wines are a great value. And I tend to like them more than the Central Coast bottlings.

For the vineyard specific wines, I seem to be straying from the RRV offerings toward other ones: TdP and Weir are my favorites.