Wine cellar progress

732B450C-DDDA-4AE5-902D-F5B96E66D5B3.jpeg
new house and new wine cellar in process—wanted to share the flooring—old barrel staves refashioned to become the floor. No racks in yet.

That’s cool Doc! DRC staves?:grin:

That’s beautiful flooring! And clever!

That is fantastic! What was your source for so many staves, properly flattened? That is art…

What’s the partition (white on the right) for? Or was it unavoidable?

Looks nice. I’ve seen several places that sell these planks. Both wine and whiskey barrels. Some with the stamps still visible. Did your installer have any issues?

Very nice idea. Where did you get the stave flooring? Did you have someone straighten out staves and mill sides and bottoms? Butt jointed or T&G ? Like the idea.

that internal wall will have racking on both sides. Guy that installs the wine cellar has a company that also makes and markets the flooring. PM me if you want info.

saw this…

That’s lovely!

Looking forward to future pics!

Really pretty!

Beautiful! Hope you have a barrel of fun with it. [cheers.gif]

And that it staves off premature aging… of your wines and you! [drinkers.gif]

Really nice Alan. I love re-purposed wood like that.

Here’s a pic of the floor I had in my hallway. These were old railroad ties from the far east. The Victorians used to just cut down whatever tree was handy for their railroads. They’re not used any more so some people picked them up and sliced them into flooring. The bitch was carving out the holes where the spikes were driven. Nobody knows with precision exactly what the woods are.

Wouldn’t have thought about wine barrels, but your floor came out really special.
2014-08-18 11.50.27.jpg

Greg—interesting. I’ve got an outdoor table and chairs made from the railroad ties used originally for the Great Indian railroad England constructed across India. When they modernized, the ties were repurposed. Many have patches and marks of their age and prior purpose. At least that’s the story the salesman snookered me with. I love it.

Our dresser and bedside tables are the same deal. I love them.

That cellar floor looks fantastic! Please keep sharing pics.

They were making railroad ties out of walnut?

Beautiful. I hope they were not creosote soaked.
The old REI store on Capital Hill in Seattle had creosote soaked 4x8 flooring. I can still smell it just by thinking about it.

Jeez, not another over-oaked wine (cellar). Looks great Alan. I just put in a new cellar and floored it with cork (jeez, not another corked wine cellar). My looks nice but not nearly as nice as yours, but maybe a little more cushioned for dropped bottles.
I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product. What type of racking?

Cheers,
Warren

Nice flooring, Alan!

Now what are you going to do to manage earthquakes? I put in a bunch of Weinbox’s and anchored them to the walls.

Do you still maintain your cellar at 50 (like I do)? If so, did you change the cooling system as well? My ducted split system is about 10 years old now and it is about time to replace it…considering lead/lag redundant ducted split w/fresh air intake and a commercial condensor/air handler - we’ll see.

-mark

racks will be alder stained black, no lacquer. Plywood shear walls, bins tilted back 5 degrees, lots of racking. Last cellar was 50 degrees, but will bump this to 55. Split system installed already, commercial grade.

That room doesn’t look big enough…