TN: 2015 La Porte Saint Jean Saumur-Champigny

I’m almost at a loss of words. I paid 22 € for this bottle and in no way was prepared for what was to come. A star in the making without a doubt, better to stock up fast.

• 2015 La Porte Saint Jean Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (13.2.2020)
    I don’t normally comment on the appearance but I find the combination of transparency and haziness attractive here. The nose is simply divine for any fan of the variety. Savory, slightly volatile with tangy redcurrant fruit, paprika, herbs and a touch of barnyard. Sauvage, a bit natty to be honest. Still, bright and expressive more than anything. The palate is simply excellent, on the richer side of medium bodied with a velvety texture and very kind yet present tannins. The fruit expression is so, so bright. Pure harmony prevails, this is dangerously approachable and drinkable. The finish is absolutely seamless and very long. There is Burgundian elegance here, the only Loire comparison I can come up with is Clos Rougeard. In other words it is all about finesse yet it is also very serious. In this time and age finding a wine like this at only 12.5% ABV feels like a win in the lottery.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

YES!!!
Below is my note from last year.
We both thought of Rougeard…this is very good wine. [cheers.gif]

2015 La Porte Saint Jean Saumur-Champigny Cabernet Franc more
Options
2/3/2019

Very pretty nose. Slight floral notes, tea, just a touch of green pepper in the background. The palate has terrific texture and weight. Soft, supple, and really glides nicely, without lacking persistence. Wet gravel and strawberry fruit marks an otherwise earthy and cool palate. Terrific with my lamb shoulder dish. There’s an elegant and finessed Rougeard touch here that is mighty, mighty fine. Sylvain Dittiere is one to watch.

Wow, cool. I’ve never even heard of this producer!

You don’t read the notes I post on this here website thing? Thanks a lot, Alfert [wink.gif]
You should check this stuff out. Not easy to find, that’s the challenge.

champagne.gif

I see there are the 2017 of this wine, 2016 Les Cormiers and two whites (La Perlée and Le Saut Mignon) available. Any experience with Les Cormiers or the whites?

This surprises me almost more than this wine did [snort.gif]

I’m honestly shocked. [swoon.gif]

(Even I’ve had this producer’s wines before and also have one bottle waiting in my cellar!)

Great note, Ilkka! Sounds like my sort of wine! I’ve never tried any of his wines yet, but on the strength of Dennis’s note last year, I did get a bottle of Les Cormiers 2015. To be fair to Robert, there’s so much happening in the Loire now that it’s hard to keep up - even Chris Kissack makes no mention of this producer on his site. As to the similarity to Clos Rougeard, it’s not a total surprise - Sylvain Dittière worked there and he’s married to Charly Foucault’s daughter!

Hard not to take notice, after enthusiastic TNs with Rougeard mentions, by Ikkal and Dennis.

Am on the hunt.

HAHA, I’m looking now . . . .

[wow.gif]

Lemmings!! [snort.gif] neener

Let me know if you find it… [wow.gif]

Not much in the US and the price is starting to creep up. I got '14 and '15 for a song. And I ain’t telling where [whistle.gif]

One of the wines that I have been buying in relatively large quantities and setting aside.

His 2012 Les Beaugrands is stunning.

Per question above about the whites, I’ve had Perlée, the ‘15 IIRC, and it was good. Very interesting Chenin. Needed plenty of air. Better on day 2.

I liked the ‘14 Cormiers (red) very much. I bought 3, now 2 left.

Thanks!

Reviving this thread from the dead. I am a big fan of cab franc and I absolutely love this producer. It’s not too much on the brett and vegetal side. His wines have a lot of structure I find. His cuvée Les Cormiers is worth trying once in your life :wink:
Pete

Will do - for now I have a bottle of the 2017 Les Pouches waiting to be opened.