Sociando Mallet 2001 vs Cuvée Jean Gautreau 2001

I wanted to do this two weeks ago but the SM 01 was corked, so we tried again last night with some friends, this time with no mishaps. I’ve already posted notes about these in the past, so I won’t bore you with too many details:

Sociando Mallet 2001

A nose of blackberry and pencil shavings with a hint of menthol. In the mouth, quite soft and developed, although still youthful, with cassis and plum, before a second wave of wild raspberry and a long, fresh finish with that trademark hint of green. Perhaps the finish was a little more open and sensual than the last bottle.

Cuvée Jean Gautreau - Sociando-Mallet 2001

Like the bottle two weeks ago, this had great aromas of violet, cassis and plum, but tasted alongside the normal bottle, the taste profile was very similar, with the same cassis and plum, followed by the same wild raspberry.

The two were very alike, both were absolutely delicious, but the JG just had more of everything - it was like listening to a favourite song through two sets of speakers. At first, there was simply no comparison - the JG had better concentration, better definition and a much bigger woofer than the normal wine. Our friends, fans of SM, had never tried the JG before and were bowled over.

But, as the evening progressed, the JG’s superiority was questioned - for all the JG’s greatness, the normal cuvée had something the JG didn’t have - more poise and a wider, softer finish. In the end, the score was a 2-2 draw, and to my surprise, I was actually one of the two who preferred the normal 2001, to which I was increasingly drawn back to. It doesn’t mean anything, this is not a criticism of the JG - they’re two fabulous wines. I think the JG just needs another five years to really open up in the way the normal wine did last night. But it does go to show that however well one thinks one has remembered the taste of two wines, until you actually try them together, it’s an imperfect comparison. Also, I think it brought home to me that label bias can afflict anyone - I was convinced I knew the result before the match.

Anyway, it was a great evening and fun to do - I’ve got plenty other vintages of both wines, so I shall renew the experience in the future.

Robert Alfert awakens with a smile

Thanks for the information. I just picked up a bottle of SM 2001.

Awakens with something . . . .

These are both two excellent wines. I have not tried them side-by-side. Sociando slayed it in 2001.

Thanks for the notes, Julian.

Wow that is a great idea to put those side by side. Despite all my affection for the estate, I’ve never had one of the JG bottlings. I literally pulled a 2001 S-M and have it front of me (unopened) standing as I’m going to pull the cork in a day or two. I found prior 2001s when younger to be a bit too charry/pyrazine for me, but lets see if its developing.

Very thoughtful wine geeky pairing!

Thanks Arv, hope you enjoy the 2001!

Finally opened my Cuvee Jean Gautreau 2001 and WOW it is spectacular! What a beautiful expression of Bordeaux! Blue and red fruited, perfectly delivered and lively, dancing around on your palate. Olives, cassis, saddle leather, graphite, all the characteristics of Bordeaux, but delivered in such a seamless package. Gorgeous wine. It’s still dark and brooding, as you’d expect from Haut Medoc, but it’s the outgoing, super bubbly and popular person at that party. Amazing stuff - by far the best expression of the region I’ve ever had. (not including its subregions, of course)

Hey, are you describing yourself or the wine!?!

This is a stellar wine. One of the best of the vintage. One of the best Sociandos that I’ve had.

Glad you loved it!

Hooray! I’m really pleased that you liked it - actually, I’ve yet to come across anyone that doesn’t like it! I wonder when the critical point is reached when a wine stops being geeky and becomes mainstream? Can one be an old geek? Or is an old geek an old berk by default? Such are the fundamental questions one asks oneself at my time of life…

Back to the matter in hand - you have reminded me to do the same comparison between a JG 00 and the normal 00. I shall report back in due course.

I’ll have to try again. I bought one recently and it was corked. [scratch.gif]