Wine prices are falling

… or so says CNN.

Time to load up on the Ernest & Julio Gallo.

…“US wine consumers will enjoy the “best wine retail values in 20 years.””

Excepting all the tariffed wine, of course! [snort.gif]

cool–hope my Scarecrow allocation increases

Sorry, I inadvertently posted a duplicate of the article cited in the first post.

I am skeptical but will be willing to accept price declines: for reliable juice only. Especially daily and routine weekend stuff. Drew the line at 2-buck Chuck even though locally it is, indeed, $1.99.

Apparently Burgundy didn’t get the memo.

I’m guessing that for the majority of wines consumed by the majority of folks on this board, the best we can hope for is prices to not go higher.

Not one of the 20 or so wineries I buy from regularly has decreased its prices.

Nor have any of the 50 or so wineries which regularly send me offers.

Not one.

I haven’t been keeping track but it does seem like the contact (e-mail and phone calls) from wineries has increased and along with it the special offers.

NBC was all excited this Monday morning, wonder what they will be buying?

+1

I’ve only seen increases.

I’ll believe it when I see it. So far… haven’t seen it.

Seems like US wineries are afraid to reduce their baseline pricing . Once a few biggies do, the dominoes will fall.

Winery direct I’m not seeing price reductions. If you look retail however, some of the wines are showing up in costco and other locations for a LOT less than direct pricing.

Fake news. I do think some have stabilized though. Definitely not falling.

What people are seeing are effectively different markets. If you take a look at Rob MacMillan’s research (rather than then hype summary) he discusses how the direct to consumer wineries (i.e. the ones that we here mostly buy from) are growing and healthy. This is a very small fraction of the market, as we all know. The few the proud the Berserk! The segment with excess supply/shrinking demand produces the kind of wine that goes into supermarkets and big box retail. There will definitely be deals there, but of wine that we mostly consider not worth the alcohol/calories.

Having said that, distribution channels will fill with all kinds of interesting things and I’d bet that there will be interesting deals in retail if you take the time to hunt them down. And your favorite winery might even be up for doing one off deals to clear vintages.

Plus - the longer the 25% tariff stays in place the more likely you will be able to find good deals in Europe if you have the ability to buy there. No, not Burgundy or Barolo, but other regions/smaller producers/lower price point bottlings will be stuck in Europe and eager to find homes. The lower the price point the more sensitive the buyers and the more likely for such wines to get stuck in Europe.

Well, I hope the producers I buy from read this article. Allocation prices seem a bit inflated to me.

Not seeing any price deductions, oh well

thanks for wasting 3 seconds of my time! neener

I agree and would even amend “a bit inflated” to “inflated”.

More details read here.

https://www.lodiwine.com/blog/The-wine-industry-debates-2020-s-challenge-of-unpicked-grapes-and-elusive-consumer-segments

+1,000