I love Alaska's 'Wine Flies Free' program !

For those who are not familiar with it, wine flies free on Alaska with some caveats. You can take up to a case, from certain Western Airports, and it has to be packed properly. They will not cover damage (although total lost baggage is covered). You do have to check it with a gate agent, but historically it’s been painless for us, and even though TSA might inspect the package (cheerfully opening and cutting all the bubble wrap and soft tissue paper) nothing has been missing, yet (cross my fingers).

And even though its intended to support local wine tourism around the West, no one is checking to see if you are carrying Napa vs. Medocs. We’ve shifted a lot of what we can over to Alaska because of little things like this.

My minions, and pets, love destroying bubble wrap so convincing them to spare some sheets for important (and intended) purposes is the hard part at our casita! I’ve become like my grandmother, saving bubble wrap, aluminum foil and old greeting cards now…

Will they take a vinguard valise?

I would guess so as they take cardboard cases with styrofoam shippers.

We took a vinguard filled with wine with us to Seattle from Nashville last summer. The fine folks in Nashville graciously waived the baggage fee. Refilled with wine from Washington and Oregon for the flight home and they were going to charge us a higher “second bag fee” for our regular luggage until we finally got it sorted out. Great policy for wine lovers!

I primarily fly Alaska between PDX and SFO and the policy is amazing. I always bring my Winecheck

There’s also free wifi (because T-Mobile), which is the cherry on top of the sundae

Alaska is the best IMHO.

They can refuse it, though they ‘will’ take it - here’s why: (and why they chose to partner with The Wine Check)

The gate agent has to open up the case by unzipping it, unlatching the straps, unzipping the cover, pull out the foam covering, then inspect the one side…then do that for the other side, which takes a lot of time. They have to check to be sure there aren’t other things (clothing, etc, which is not allowed) than wine.

The Wine Check is taking without question or a 2nd look, as the agents know that’s the ‘preferred’ baggage

I used it to bring some wine back from my Oregon Trip!

We went to Purple Hands, Ken Wright, Evening Lands, Gran Moraine and Alexana!
We packed the box pretty well but they opened it and inspected it; but I think they did an even better job of packing up the box.
We did have 2 Oregon beers in the box as well. But they were large format and looked like wine.

Oh wow I didn’t realize that other bags got searched vs. special treatment for the Wine Check

Well done on that particular partnership [cheers.gif]