TN: EXPostFacto Syrah SBC '16...(short/boring)

Tried this Fri night w/ Susan:

1. EXPostFacto Syrah SantaBarbaraCnty (14.5%) Lompoc 2016: Very dark color; strong SBC/blackberry/Syrah/rather peppery some toasty/oak bit earthy rather spicy quite attractive nose; fairly tart rather hard/tannic strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy/some peppery fairly strong toasty/oak flavor w/ rather hard/severe tannins; very long strong/spicy/blackberry/Syrah/some black pepper fairly toasty/oak slight earthy rather sructured finish w/ ample hard/chewey tannins; a fairly straight forward SBC Syrah but rather severe/hard on the palate; lacks charm & richness but may develop into something interesting; would much prefer the regular Jaffurs SBC Syrah at a cheaper price. $35.00 (AV)

A wee BloddyPulpit:

1. EXPostFacto is GregBrewers’s attempt to escape his Burgundy roots and venture into the Syrah field. I was a bit underwhelmed given the winemaker’s pedigree.
    Tom

I often wonder why I bother to buy anything other than Jaffurs SBC, and their handful of SVD’s… certainly a benchmark label for me.

Tom,

Greg certainly has a decent pedigree doing syrah as he crafted them for Melville for a number of years and received critical acclaim for the ones off the estate in the Sta Rita Hills as well as their other former estate in Cat Canyon across the street from the White Hawk Vineyard.

I agree that it is pretty tough to get a better ‘every day’ deal on a wine than Jaffurs SBC one - and their single vineyard ones are fantastic as well. But don’t forget others in our area like Stolpman, Beckmen, Samsara, and so many more. So many fantastic syrahs - and other rhones - coming out of the SBC area - and really hoping folks give them as much a look as they do our neighbors north of us . . .

Cheers.

+1. Ojai is consistently good too. I recently had an '18 Tensley Santa Barbara County Syrah and it was really bad.

I bought the 2016 Ex Post Facto several months ago and its sitting in my cellar. This note definitely eases my curiosity and I will sit on it for at least five more years. By the way don’t forget about Tensley Syrah’s when mentioning SBC. IMO some of the best I’ve tasted, but I havent had Jaffurs yet.

Hmmmm…generally I’ve pretty good results w/ the Tensley Syrahs.
Tom

It had a very artificial taste to it. A very blueberry concoction. I thought I stumbled upon a new version of Aphotic Red. [snort.gif]

Fair enough, Michael. Not had a recent one in 4-5 yr.
Tom