What's the smallest production cuvée in Burgundy?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

What's the smallest production cuvée in Burgundy?

#1 Post by Glen Gold » February 17th, 2020, 2:06 pm

I was reading about Duroché's Griotte-Chambertin, which is consistently referred to as one of the smallest annual productions in Burgundy. 80 bottles, more or less. It made me wonder: are there are other wines consistently made with even smaller productions?
Last edited by Glen Gold on March 5th, 2020, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What's the smallest production cuvée in Burgundy?

#2 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 17th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Marchand tawse Musigny is pretty minuscule.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Thomas Keim » February 17th, 2020, 2:53 pm

One standard barrel is 25 cases of wine. So I am guessing there are hundreds of these bottlings available through various houses.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

William Kelley

#4 Post by William Kelley » February 17th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Glen Gold wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 2:06 pm
I was reading about Duroché's Griotte-Chambertin, which is consistently referred to as one of the smallest annual productions in Burgundy. 80 bottles, more or less. It made me wonder: are there are other wines consistenly made with even smaller productions?
It's definitely the smallest in red, and I think the Domaine d'Auvenay Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet is the smallest in white.
The Wine Advocate

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Glen Gold » February 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 2:53 pm
One standard barrel is 25 cases of wine. So I am guessing there are hundreds of these bottlings available through various houses.
True. I think there are quite a few wines with about 300 bottles per vintage. Duroché's wine is 80 bottles, so it's not even a barrel.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by CJ Beazley » February 17th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Glen Gold wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Thomas Keim wrote:
True. I think there are quite a few wines with about 300 bottles per vintage. Duroché's wine is 80 bottles, so it's not even a barrel.
That’s a lot of marbles
It's C(raig)

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 17th, 2020, 3:56 pm

do they make this cuvee in a non-standard sized barrel then?

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Thomas Keim » February 17th, 2020, 4:16 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Glen Gold wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Thomas Keim wrote:
That’s a lot of marbles
I have never visited a cellar in Burgundy that made less than a barrel. Do they use smaller barriques? I would be afraid of too much new wood with a cuvee that small -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

William Kelley

#9 Post by William Kelley » February 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 4:16 pm

I have never visited a cellar in Burgundy that made less than a barrel. Do they use smaller barriques? I would be afraid of too much new wood with a cuvee that small -
Barrique is a Bordeaux term, in Burgundy, barrels are called "pièces".

Most producers will use half-barrels, known as "feuillettes", which are 140 liters, for élevage. It is quite rare for a given cuvée to divide exactly by 225 liters, so producers will use feuillettes, carboys and other vessels to hold the excess and the topping wine. So it is almost certain that if you visited any number of estates in Burgundy you will have seen these.

Duroché uses a small, custom barrel that isn't new. So no need for concern, the wine is very good and not at all oaky. It's the most collectible wine they produce, even if I would argue that the Clos de Bèze and Lavaux-Saint-Jacques Vieilles Vignes are actually the domaine's best bottlings.
The Wine Advocate

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by dcornutt » February 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm

The smallest I have ever personally seen is the half barrel of Clos de Lambrays from Taupenot-Merme. 12 cases or so. 144 bottles. Larger than the Griotte from Duroche but for a long time this was one of the smallest cuvees in red.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Karl K

#11 Post by Karl K » February 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Maybe a Marc, not commercially available, just made for family and friends?
K a z a k s

Gerhard P.

#12 Post by Gerhard P. » February 18th, 2020, 10:31 am

dcornutt wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm
The smallest I have ever personally seen is the half barrel of Clos de Lambrays from Taupenot-Merme. 12 cases or so. 144 bottles. Larger than the Griotte from Duroche but for a long time this was one of the smallest cuvees in red.
This - and Musigny by Faiveley before they purchased Doufuleur ... they also had only a half pièce ... I remember a back label indicated No.142 of 148 bottles.

But the Musigny holding (below the road) of Christian Confuron was still smaller: 0.076 ha ... and is now owned by Domaine Tawse,
and an even smaller plot of 0.015 ha belonged to Domaine Monthelie-Douhairet-Porcheret, but is now owned also by Tawse.

So I think the Domaine Monthelie-Douhairet-Porcheret-parcel of Musigny WAS the smallest cuvée yielding only about 50 bottles (Duroché had 0,019 ha and about 80 bottles, right?), but that has changed now ... Tawse has now 0.091 ha ...
Thomas Keim wrote:

Oh yes, there are a lot of smaller barrels, not only 1/2 but 1/3 or 1/4 ... or even very special sizes ... these are necessary when a havest yields less than (let´s say) two but more than (let´s say) one barrel ... (usually used for Grand Crus, not for simpler Village wines) ...
I have seen several in different cellars, all have special names (which I have forgotten), but a half barrel is called "feuillette", but can have between 112 and 132 liter capacity ... according to a winemaker ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Peter Chiu

#13 Post by Peter Chiu » February 19th, 2020, 5:34 am

**** I have seen several in different cellars, all have special names (which I have forgotten), but a half barrel is called "feuillette", but can have between 112 and 132 liter capacity ... according to a winemaker ...*****

Thanks for the all the details - Gerhard ..........hmm.

What do you mean by : ( which I have forgotten ) ?

You should had memorized it or wrote it down on a piece of paper........ [wink.gif]

Kelly Walker

#14 Post by Kelly Walker » February 19th, 2020, 7:18 am

We "barrel" tasted the Faiveley Musigny one year. It was a small pony barrel, maybe less than a quarter size. It had a locking bung.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Gerhard P.

#15 Post by Gerhard P. » February 19th, 2020, 7:48 am

Peter Chiu wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:34 am
**** I have seen several in different cellars, all have special names (which I have forgotten), but a half barrel is called "feuillette", but can have between 112 and 132 liter capacity ... according to a winemaker ...*****

You should had memorized it or wrote it down on a piece of paper........ [wink.gif]
Haha, I was lucky actually being able to remember "feuilette" ... took me more than 10 minutes ... [cheers.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Doug Schulman » February 19th, 2020, 9:24 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 7:48 am
Peter Chiu wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:34 am

Haha, I was lucky actually being able to remember "feuilette" ... took me more than 10 minutes ... [cheers.gif]
You could have just looked up a couple of posts.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mike Grammer » February 19th, 2020, 11:27 am

dcornutt wrote:
I was going to mention them. A half-barrel in a good year.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Emmanuel Menger

#18 Post by Emmanuel Menger » February 19th, 2020, 11:33 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:31 am
dcornutt wrote:
This - and Musigny by Faiveley before they purchased Doufuleur ... they also had only a half pièce ... I remember a back label indicated No.142 of 148 bottles.

But the Musigny holding (below the road) of Christian Confuron was still smaller: 0.076 ha ... and is now owned by Domaine Tawse,
and an even smaller plot of 0.015 ha belonged to Domaine Monthelie-Douhairet-Porcheret, but is now owned also by Tawse.

So I think the Domaine Monthelie-Douhairet-Porcheret-parcel of Musigny WAS the smallest cuvée yielding only about 50 bottles (Duroché had 0,019 ha and about 80 bottles, right?), but that has changed now ... Tawse has now 0.091 ha ...
Thomas Keim wrote:

Oh yes, there are a lot of smaller barrels, not only 1/2 but 1/3 or 1/4 ... or even very special sizes ... these are necessary when a havest yields less than (let´s say) two but more than (let´s say) one barrel ... (usually used for Grand Crus, not for simpler Village wines) ...
I have seen several in different cellars, all have special names (which I have forgotten), but a half barrel is called "feuillette", but can have between 112 and 132 liter capacity ... according to a winemaker ...
Porcheret plot was acquired by Tawse in 2014. 156sqm
you can certainly find here and there some guys claiming they produce less than 100 bottles. But who cares. What matters is terroir and musigny is the at the apex of burgundy wines. Taupenot merme Lambrays looks like a coquetry

Marcus Dean

#19 Post by Marcus Dean » February 19th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Emmanuel Menger wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 11:33 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
dcornutt wrote:

Thomas Keim wrote:

you can certainly find here and there some guys claiming they produce less than 100 bottles. But who cares. What matters is terroir and musigny is the at the apex of burgundy wines. Taupenot merme Lambrays looks like a coquetry
Dude,
Actually it is the subject of the thread.

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Glen Gold » February 19th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Emmanuel Menger wrote:

Uh...okay.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.12.34 PM.png
Last edited by Glen Gold on February 20th, 2020, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chiu

#21 Post by Peter Chiu » February 20th, 2020, 4:59 am

Marcus Dean wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Emmanuel Menger wrote:
Gerhard P. wrote:

Dude,
Yes - he started the thread and I love it.... grouphug

Gerhard P.

#22 Post by Gerhard P. » February 20th, 2020, 5:33 am

Emmanuel Menger wrote: What matters is terroir and musigny is the at the apex of burgundy wines. Taupenot merme Lambrays looks like a coquetry
The Musigny plots below the road are certainly not the very best among the vineyard, I' ve tasted both before sale to Tawse ... not really GC-level ...
BTW also Taupenots CdLambrays (tasted only once) wasn't mind-opening ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Peter Chiu

#23 Post by Peter Chiu » February 20th, 2020, 6:42 am

SAQ ( in Quebec, Canada ) used to carry Taupenots CdLambrays and quite pricey....

William Kelley

#24 Post by William Kelley » February 20th, 2020, 6:52 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 5:33 am
Emmanuel Menger wrote: What matters is terroir and musigny is the at the apex of burgundy wines. Taupenot merme Lambrays looks like a coquetry
The Musigny plots below the road are certainly not the very best among the vineyard, I' ve tasted both before sale to Tawse ... not really GC-level ...
In both cases we are in a sense dealing with "technicalities", in that the Taupenot parcel of Clos des Lambrays is a former vegetable garden that happened to be included within the grand cru boundaries, and was subsequently planted to vines; and the piece of Musigny in question is, as Gerhard says, below the road and might be more accurately considered a terrace at the top of Les Petits Vougeots than Musigny-proper, though when the boundaries were drawn it happened to fall within the latter. So, I don't think either can be considered the apex of anything if we are being purists.
The Wine Advocate

Gerhard P.

#25 Post by Gerhard P. » February 20th, 2020, 7:39 am

William Kelley wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 6:52 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
In both cases we are in a sense dealing with "technicalities", in that the Taupenot parcel of Clos des Lambrays is a former vegetable garden that happened to be included within the grand cru boundaries, and was subsequently planted to vines; and the piece of Musigny in question is, as Gerhard says, below the road and might be more accurately considered a terrace at the top of Les Petits Vougeots than Musigny-proper, though when the boundaries were drawn it happened to fall within the latter. So, I don't think either can be considered the apex of anything if we are being purists.
Afaic there are two further Musigny parcels below the road - one is actually just across the wall and rather unplantable, steep and stoney, "hanging" over Petits Vougeots (belonging to Bertagna?) but obviously inside the Musigny AC - and a 2nd very small triangular one (property of de Vogüé) close to the Chateau de Vougeot, unplanted and used as parkings space by the Vogüé staff ... or by tourists stopping to shoot photos or taking a walk. Also not worth planting ...
According to Matt Kramer there should also be another tiny parcel in the North close to Les Borniques (0.0051 ha), belonging to Bernard Clair with bushes and rocks, obviously also unplantable.

See: https://weinlagen-info.de/#gemeinde_id=1598
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Glen Gold » February 20th, 2020, 8:08 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 7:39 am
William Kelley wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 6:52 am
Gerhard P. wrote:

Afaic there are two further Musigny parcels below the road - one is actually just across the wall and rather unplantable, steep and stoney, "hanging" over Petits Vougeots (belonging to Bertagna?) but obviously inside the Musigny AC - and a 2nd very small triangular one (property of de Vogüé) close to the Chateau de Vougeot, unplanted and used as parkings space by the Vogüé staff ... or by tourists stopping to shoot photos or taking a walk. Also not worth planting ...
According to Matt Kramer there should also be another tiny parcel in the North close to Les Borniques (0.0051 ha), belonging to Bernard Clair with bushes and rocks, obviously also unplantable.

That's a cool map. Couldn't find Clos des Rosiers' parcel on there, but as long as we're talking small plots that have a hint of Clos des Lambrays...

William Kelley

#27 Post by William Kelley » February 20th, 2020, 9:17 am

You can see the cadastral map here: https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte?c= ... malink=yes
The Wine Advocate

Gerhard P.

#28 Post by Gerhard P. » February 20th, 2020, 9:33 am

Glen Gold wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 8:08 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 7:39 am

That's a cool map. Couldn't find Clos des Rosiers' parcel on there, but as long as we're talking small plots that have a hint of Clos des Lambrays...
Clos des Rosiers - of Chantal Remy- is in Morey-St-Denis, right behind the house of Chantal ... and below Clos des Lambrays/Meix Rentiers ...
in most maps it´s simply indicated as "Le Village". Yes, it seems to be missing in "Weinlagen" ...

BTW: once I´ve been told that also Domaine Gerard Raphet has a tiny spot in his backyard/garden (whatever) that would be entitled to the Clos des Lambray Appellation ... but it´s unplanted and either a garden or covered with concrete ... no plan to change that ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Jay Miller » February 20th, 2020, 9:42 am

Gerhard P. wrote:

Is it any better now? The one bottle of Christian Confuron Musigny I tried was execrable. The story I heard was that they tore up a parking lot to plant the vines.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Emmanuel Menger

#30 Post by Emmanuel Menger » February 20th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Marcus Dean wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Emmanuel Menger wrote:
Gerhard P. wrote:

Dude,
Then i deeply apologize dude: i thought you were interested in rare but great wines. Not oddities. If you like the super rare wines, try to grab some van berg wines. It will cost you a fortune but I dont guarantee you a great moment...

Emmanuel Menger

#31 Post by Emmanuel Menger » February 20th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 9:42 am
Gerhard P. wrote:

Is it any better now? The one bottle of Christian Confuron Musigny I tried was execrable. The story I heard was that they tore up a parking lot to plant the vines.
It remains a true and persistant underdog

Emmanuel Menger

#32 Post by Emmanuel Menger » February 20th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Gerhard P. wrote:
You're right with regards to tawse musigny.
I have seen that tawse already sold musigny back to 2011, probably through agreement with producers.
i dont know if their musigny today is only coming from the plot they bought or if they blend it with some other grapes. 2018 quantity (matured in a 380l barrel according to vinous) seems a bit high for a plot of this size

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Brady Daniels » February 20th, 2020, 2:18 pm

William Kelley wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 9:17 am
You can see the cadastral map here: https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte?c= ... malink=yes
This looks awesome too! I played with it for a few minutes and couldn’t find a key linking owner number to owner name. Tell me I was silly and overlooked the obvious.

Thanks.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

William Kelley

#34 Post by William Kelley » February 20th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Brady Daniels wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 2:18 pm
This looks awesome too! I played with it for a few minutes and couldn’t find a key linking owner number to owner name. Tell me I was silly and overlooked the obvious.

Thanks.
Sadly there is no such thing. If you are a registered architect you can write in and find out, but the information has not been publicly accessible for 30 years or so. So it is a question of piecing things together.
The Wine Advocate

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Brady Daniels » February 20th, 2020, 3:08 pm

William Kelley wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Brady Daniels wrote:

Thanks.
Sadly there is no such thing. If you are a registered architect you can write in and find out, but the information has not been publicly accessible for 30 years or so. So it is a question of piecing things together.
Thanks, William. I was quite excited, but now a bit deflated. Ah well.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Gus Siokis » February 20th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Snapped a few pics last summer while visiting ...of the area in question
Attachments
30B1D113-0EFD-42A9-A228-59210D354AE6.jpeg
EB288040-6B08-4E7F-8D35-C960D749FBF3.jpeg
92D54877-AF43-402E-A19C-1C25540CDF68.jpeg
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

William Kelley

#37 Post by William Kelley » February 20th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Brady Daniels wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Thanks, William. I was quite excited, but now a bit deflated. Ah well.
You'll have to wait until my book comes out..! (Not for a while)

But one thing I'd like to do this year, if time permits, is take some photos of different producers' vines in the same appellation throughout the year so folks can see the differences. Could be quite insightful.
The Wine Advocate

Karl K

#38 Post by Karl K » February 20th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Great idea!
K a z a k s

Gerhard P.

#39 Post by Gerhard P. » February 21st, 2020, 1:23 am

The pics of Gus (especially the 1st one) show clearly the triangular parking spot entitled to Musigny AC ...
the vines are the ex-Christian Confuron (now Tawse)
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Dave English » February 21st, 2020, 2:34 am

Bugger, didn't get a pic of the back label to confirm. This was 102.

MontyMusigny-32.jpg

R.Oesterle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by R.Oesterle » February 21st, 2020, 9:26 am

Brady Daniels wrote:
William Kelley wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 9:17 am

Thanks.
https://winehog.org/musigny-ownership-maps-26216/
Roman
°°°°°°

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Jayson Cohen » February 21st, 2020, 10:30 am

It would be so interesting to see a set of photos by date of the different growers’ vines over the course of a growing season.

Winehog’s site is very informative on plot ownership, assuming its accurate.

Gaudissabois Johan

#43 Post by Gaudissabois Johan » June 18th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Dear William,

Have I just read that you are currently writing a book on BURGUNDY? That would be great since PARKER'S edition goes way back.....Hope I understood it correctly....What will be the main topic?
SINCERELY JOHAN

Return to “Wine Talk”