TN: 2009 Evesham Wood Cuvee J Pinot Noir

2009 Evesham Wood Cuvee J Pinot Noir
Somewhat high toned reddish briar fruit and sour cherry with baking spice and underlying mushrooms, understory and earth. Finely balanced acidity through the midpalate with another round of nutmeg/baking spice on the slightly tannic finish. Mild bitterness. Some slight warmth. I largely steered clear of the 2009 vintage and this is ripe, but holds its own.

RT

Any benefit to keep aging it? Any risk to keep aging it? Thanks.

Just guessing of course, but I’d say it’s in a good drinking window for the next 5-ish years. I’d be afraid of the fruit drying out with excess aging. There’s enough interest and development at this point.

RT

I would drink up the 2009. I have only a few that have been holding up nicely. Many were flabby and fading fast. I did enjoy a Biggio Hamina Deux Vert and a Willakenzie 114 within the last year that were very nice.

With a few exceptions, I think this is good advice. Even the wines aging well are 10 years from vintage and should be in a good window.

2009 certainly was an odd and warm vintage. I wonder how we would see it on the context of the now, however. In any case this is sort of our go to vintage currently for showing folks a PGC wine with a little bottle age to it. By and large the wines are still fresh and youthful while having some sort of apparent 10-years-or-so-in-the-bottle kind of thing happening.

In the context of 2014 - 2016? 2009 was probably a “cool vintage” neener

I’ve recently been plowing through a bunch of 2009 Cru Beaujolais that I wish I hadn’t let sit for 10 years…or bought at all. Not the case with the Evesham Cuvee J.

Jim, PGC has a track record of producing restrained, complex wines in warm vintages. Not typical.

RT

My 09’s are doing fine. Hustled some to various folk on Tuesday. Drinks young.

Won’t be accepted well but I’ve largely given up on Beaujolais. Yes, I’ve tried the fancy ones and the cool ones and all. The region is very well represented in this market. I generally don’t like them young (too jumpy and fruity and just not My thing) and I’ve found way too much Brett in ones with bottle age, even a relatively small amount of bottle age. Easy pass. There are tons of really good Pinots that I like better anyway for the same money or less.

So I presume you pass on making Gamay? I like what Vincent, Brick House and Belle Pente do.

RT

We did it back in the day at Torii Mor. I will leave it to others. I’m already making Sauvignon Blanc, Skin Contact Early Muscat and Skin Contact Muscat Ottonel. I don’t need another oddball project let alone one that I’m not that interested in.

Todd is not wrong. His 09 Deux Vert pinot is drinking very well indeed right now.