Terry Theise / Michael Skurnik

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
bnwagner

Terry Theise / Michael Skurnik

#1 Post by bnwagner » February 19th, 2020, 6:55 am

Hi all,

Has anyone heard news of a split or renegotiation of terms between Terry Theise and Michael Skurnik? Skurnik's website no longer has links to the Theise catalogs, nor does there seem to be any mention of Theise anywhere on Skurnik's site.

I am new to the WineBerserkers community but it seems that there is some great discussion happening here! Appreciate any insights anyone can offer.

Ben
B e n j a m i n

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Terry Theise / Michael Skurnik

#2 Post by David_K » February 19th, 2020, 7:00 am

I noticed the same thing when looking for a catalog the other day but didn't know if it was just a quirk of the website or something more serious. Hoping someone on here knows.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Ian Dorin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Ian Dorin » February 21st, 2020, 5:15 am

I found out that-
Theise is no longer an employee
Skurnik still imports the wines

Nothing further to add at this time.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

bnwagner

#4 Post by bnwagner » February 21st, 2020, 6:26 am

Thanks for the info, Ian.
B e n j a m i n

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Morris » February 21st, 2020, 6:33 am

Ian Dorin wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:15 am
I found out that-
Theise is no longer an employee
Skurnik still imports the wines

Nothing further to add at this time.
He was an employee? I always assumed he had his own business.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Matthew Brown

#6 Post by Matthew Brown » February 21st, 2020, 6:53 am

At one point it probably was. If you look at their list of import partners, at least one (Brazos) has the autonomy to make distribution deals outside of the Skurnik network if they wish (which they do in Virginia) and my guess is that the others do as well. Terry is the curator and selector of the wines that bear his name, but in the 20+ years I’ve been getting them, the Skurnik label has always been right beside it. Hopefully this is an amicable situation, otherwise I could see a lot of his long time producers choosing to leave the American market if they have the means.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

A.Gillette

#7 Post by A.Gillette » February 21st, 2020, 6:58 am

Good luck to Terry in his next endeavor. He is a great evangelist for Riesling and I love the catalogs.
A
Alex

Martin Steinley

#8 Post by Martin Steinley » February 21st, 2020, 8:33 am

“As you may have heard, we recently ended our business affiliation with Terry Theise. All producers from Germany, Austria and Champagne imported by Skurnik Wines will continue to be imported by Skurnik Wines and available through our nationwide network of distributors.

Gabe Clary, Vice President and Portfolio Manager for our “Germany, Austria and Champagne Estate Selections,” will head up this portfolio going forward, and we have the utmost confidence in his leadership for the future. We look forward to proudly representing these great producers for many years to come.

If you have any questions, please contact your Skurnik representative.”
ITB

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Doug Schulman » February 21st, 2020, 9:12 am

Wow, what a surprise. I wonder what happened.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Alan Rath » February 21st, 2020, 9:25 am

Doug Schulman wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 9:12 am
That's an understatement. My "understanding" of the relationship was that Terry was the driving force, and Skurnik handled the logistics of actual importation and distribution. I never thought of Terry as an employee, I assumed it was a business relationship between the two.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 21st, 2020, 10:32 am

Oh my...
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Nathan V.

#12 Post by Nathan V. » February 21st, 2020, 10:39 am

Alan Rath wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 9:25 am
Doug Schulman wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 9:12 am
That's an understatement. My "understanding" of the relationship was that Terry was the driving force, and Skurnik handled the logistics of actual importation and distribution. I never thought of Terry as an employee, I assumed it was a business relationship between the two.
Terry existed long before he partnered with Skurnik. Back in the day he had a similar partnership with Kronheim in the Baltimore/DC area. I find this really disheartening. Terry was my introduction to the wines of Germany and Austria. His trade tastings in the early 90s were epic affairs that took the enamel off my teeth.

I hope that this is him retiring in comfort rather than being pushed out and having his growers snatched.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by John Morris » February 21st, 2020, 10:45 am

How old is Theise? In his mid-60s at least, I'd guess. Maybe he decided to retire.

I don't know anything about the situation here, but I'm sure Skurnik's people developed direct relationships with the producers over many years. In Barolo, for instance, some producers who had been handled by Marco di Grazia via Skurnik dropped di Grazia and began dealing directly with Skurnik.

Another factor might be Skurnik's big expansion into California and the Midwest in the last three years. The Theise wines used to be distributed by someone else on the West Coast, right? I can see how producers might not feel the need for a middleman like Theise if they could deal with one importer/distributor for most or all of the country. That's just speculation, but I throw it out there as a possible factor.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Matthew Brown

#14 Post by Matthew Brown » February 21st, 2020, 10:47 am

The fact they've essentially scrubbed the site of everything with his name on it, including past catalogs, makes me worried it wasn't on good terms. It's like he's taking all his intellectual property and leaving, so to speak.

Forgotten about Kronheim, I think he was transitioning away from them when I was getting started in the industry, but I think the store had some paper copies of his catalogs whit the Kronheim emblem on them.

Matthew Brown

#15 Post by Matthew Brown » February 21st, 2020, 10:53 am

2AB02ED1-2684-4792-A04E-792B5B21743B.jpeg
Speaking of which.....

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 21st, 2020, 10:54 am

Terry is 66.

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Ken V » February 21st, 2020, 11:20 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 8:33 am
“As you may have heard, we recently ended our business affiliation with Terry Theise. All producers from Germany, Austria and Champagne imported by Skurnik Wines will continue to be imported by Skurnik Wines and available through our nationwide network of distributors.

Gabe Clary, Vice President and Portfolio Manager for our “Germany, Austria and Champagne Estate Selections,” will head up this portfolio going forward, and we have the utmost confidence in his leadership for the future. We look forward to proudly representing these great producers for many years to come.

Where is this from?
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Alan Rath » February 21st, 2020, 11:22 am

John Morris wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 10:45 am
Another factor might be Skurnik's big expansion into California and the Midwest in the last three years. The Theise wines used to be distributed by someone else on the West Coast, right? I can see how producers might not feel the need for a middleman like Theise if they could deal with one importer/distributor for most or all of the country. That's just speculation, but I throw it out there as a possible factor.
My understanding, again, is that Skurnik was always the importer, but (at least here on the west coast) there was a different distributor who handled the Theise portfolio. I was told that several years ago Skurnik wanted greater distribution on the west coast, and offered that distributor their entire catalog to handle, which the distributor declined. So Skurnik pulled the Theise wines, and opened its own west coast operation to handle everything. But that's separate from this recent disappearance from the Skurnik site. For many years, Terry would host a large number of his producers around the country, having both consumer and trade tastings (the consumer tastings ended maybe a decade ago or more). I used to sneak in to the trade tastings (with approval), and the latest one I went to a couple years ago was scaled back quite a bit, with no Terry presence, so maybe this has been in the works for some time?

Terry has an account here, but I don't think he has posted since 2011, when he was a "special wine guest".

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by John Morris » February 21st, 2020, 11:37 am

FYI, the details of Skurnik's Midwest expansion: Last year it bought Vintner Select, an Ohio-based distributor operating in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. (Link to press release.)

Troy Stark

#20 Post by Troy Stark » February 21st, 2020, 11:59 am

Was looking for the Theise catalogs and noticed the Skurnik site was scrubbed of any mention. Definitely seems like it wasn't amicable.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 21st, 2020, 12:13 pm

They did recently do a bunch of large consumer and trade tastings focussed on the theise book. Coincidence?

Brent C l a y t o n

#22 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 21st, 2020, 3:53 pm

Skurnik has not ‘always been the importer.’ IIRC Terry started in 1988 and used various regional Importers. I recall the Kronheim import label from the wines we sold in MA during the 90’s. Skurnik gradually became a bigger partner as their business grew in NY and nationally.

From some conversations with a few ITBers it sounds like at some point there was a merge and Skurnik took over the importing nationally but I’m not privy to the details. Gabe has always been the in house Skurnik guy for Theise wines.

I’m not aware of any actual details of the split, but based on the Skurnik email, the fact that they scrubbed all Terry’s writing from their site, and Terry’s cryptic FB post Saturday I would venture to guess the split was not amicable...🤷🏻‍♂️
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brent C l a y t o n

#23 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 21st, 2020, 3:56 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 12:13 pm
They did recently do a bunch of large consumer and trade tastings focussed on the theise book. Coincidence?
No. They always do a Theise-focused tasting in Jan-Feb, usually more Champagne. June is the annual Germany/Austria tasting. It’s been a similar schedule for a decade or more.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Alan Rath » February 21st, 2020, 4:40 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 3:53 pm
Skurnik has not ‘always been the importer.’ IIRC Terry started in 1988 and used various regional Importers. I recall the Kronheim import label from the wines we sold in MA during the 90’s. Skurnik gradually became a bigger partner as their business grew in NY and nationally.
That's a little before I was buying. The oldest Theise bottle I've got is a 2002 Nigl, and it has a Skurnik import label.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 21st, 2020, 4:45 pm

If you listen to Terry’s interview with Levi Dalton, he started with ‘85 (maybe ‘84...).

When I started buying in bulk with the ‘95 vintage, it was still easy to find prior vintages. I was able to grab great bottles from 1989, 1990, etc. First met him at a tasting of 1996s at Yankee Spirits, and have enjoyed his friendship since.

I wish him all the best.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 21st, 2020, 5:12 pm

I'm not sure I would read a nasty divorce into the fact that they've taken his stuff off the site. It was his IP when he wrote the stuff, and I am sure they had a agreement about what would happen to it if there was a dissolution of the relationship. Could have been nasty; also could have been entirely amicable.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Howard Cooper » February 21st, 2020, 5:28 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 4:40 pm
Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 3:53 pm
That's a little before I was buying. The oldest Theise bottle I've got is a 2002 Nigl, and it has a Skurnik import label.
I remember when Kronheim was involved. I first tasted Terry Theise’s wines in 1985 or so when David Schildknecht (who was then wine buyer for a retail store called Rex) had a tasting of Terry’s wines with Terry discussing the wines.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by John Morris » February 21st, 2020, 5:35 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:12 pm
I'm not sure I would read a nasty divorce into the fact that they've taken his stuff off the site. It was his IP when he wrote the stuff, and I am sure they had a agreement about what would happen to it if there was a dissolution of the relationship. Could have been nasty; also could have been entirely amicable.
+1

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 21st, 2020, 5:40 pm

I think 1997 was the first vintage with Skurnik.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Jayson Cohen » February 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm

1997 Donnhoff Kronheim label. What I had readily available at home.
024AACB3-1993-4B03-A36F-E0A3EBD31279.jpeg

Charles Weiss

#31 Post by Charles Weiss » February 21st, 2020, 5:55 pm

I certainly wish Terry the best. He's one of my wine heroes. His way with the language, his passion for wine, his role in making so many great German (and other) producers familiar and available in my world. A great salesman in the best sense.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Jayson Cohen » February 21st, 2020, 6:06 pm

No doubt, Terry and the availability of his wines at reasonable pricing in the late 90s are the reason I started buying and drinking German and Austrian wines and (grower) Champagnes early in my wine obsession. I’ve had so many profound wines from so many of his growers over the years. I owe him a real debt of gratitude. I also enjoyed meeting him a few times at his tastings, including the fantastic Theise/Skurnik Champagne tasting in NYC just a few months ago. I wish him all the best.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 21st, 2020, 6:13 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm

OK, so then 1998. I know it was sometime in the late 1990s.

I have a lot of heat damaged wines that were handled by Kronheim. Skurnik has always been pristine.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Jayson Cohen » February 21st, 2020, 6:22 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 6:13 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm

OK, so then 1998. I know it was sometime in the late 1990s.

I have a lot of heat damaged wines that were handled by Kronheim. Skurnik has always been pristine.
Same. Off the top of my head, mid-90s Selbach-O, Donnhoff, Christoffel, Schaefer, and M-C, e.g., have been somewhat of a crapshoot. Great bottles. Cooked bottles.

Martin Steinley

#35 Post by Martin Steinley » February 21st, 2020, 8:04 pm

Ken V wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 11:20 am
Martin Steinley wrote:

Where is this from?
Ah, Skurnik.
John Morris wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:35 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
+1
It may not have been nasty, and hopefully wasn't, but it would be a bizarre way to end amicably a long-term relationship of the sort involved here. All evidence suggests that it wasn't amicable. In the end, I don't know that it matters, other than it's a shame and perhaps results in Theise having a competing import business to the extent that he is not legally precluded from doing so.
ITB

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Alan Rath » February 21st, 2020, 8:18 pm

I can only think this has to be bad for the producers, and end buyers. Unless there was something Terry did to damage relationships with some growers, it’s hard to imagine Skurnik maintaining the same connection to those growers.

Al Osterheld

#37 Post by Al Osterheld » February 21st, 2020, 8:27 pm

Whatever the details, seems like a pity for us consumers.

-Al

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by John Morris » February 21st, 2020, 9:35 pm

Skurnik is a high-class operation, so I doubt we or producers have any reason to fret.

However, Skurnik will need to work on its website if it wants to maintain the franchise. I doubt that the Austrians would be pleased to find Carnuntum, Kamptal, Kremstal, Wagram, Wachau and Weinsviertal all listed as German regions. (Check the Germany box when you search for producers.) Sort of a vinuous Anschluss. [wow.gif]

Tom Taylor

#39 Post by Tom Taylor » February 22nd, 2020, 2:19 am

The previous distributor I worked for here in CT used to handle the Theise portfolio in the 90s prior to Skurnik’s involvement, Skurnik would eventually self distribute here in CT and the entire portfolio would be released to them. There was always a disconnect between the sales force who wanted to order more of Thiese’s wines and ownership who wanted to focus more on France. During one discussion amongst the sales force and ownership one Sales Rep blurted out “All we are saying is give Thiese a chance”
ITB

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by David_K » February 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am

It sounds like this may not have too big of an effect on me as a consumer in terms of pricing and availability (though we'll see), but the catalogs would be a huge loss. I hope all the old ones at least get archived online somewhere, whether by Skurnik, Theise, or someone else.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Keith Levenberg

#41 Post by Keith Levenberg » February 22nd, 2020, 7:22 am

David_K wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am
It sounds like this may not have too big of an effect on me as a consumer in terms of pricing and availability (though we'll see), but the catalogs would be a huge loss. I hope all the old ones at least get archived online somewhere, whether by Skurnik, Theise, or someone else.
Bet we could crowdsource a pretty thorough collection here...

JulianD

#42 Post by JulianD » February 22nd, 2020, 7:42 am

Always really enjoyed reading his vintage assessments/wine previews.
Davies

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 22nd, 2020, 8:28 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 7:22 am
David_K wrote:
I have them going back to I think the 1996 vintage.

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Ken V » February 22nd, 2020, 9:24 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 8:04 pm
Ken V wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:

Where is this from?
Ah, Skurnik.
I meant did it come from an email or their website or twitter or . . . because I could not find it online.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Martin Steinley

#45 Post by Martin Steinley » February 22nd, 2020, 9:42 am

Ken, it came from my Skurnik rep, who explained that it was the "official announcement." (I had asked him about the situation the the day before and he explained what Ian reported above.)
ITB

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Ken V wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:

Where is this from?
Ah, Skurnik.
John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
+1
It may not have been nasty, and hopefully wasn't, but it would be a bizarre way to end amicably a long-term relationship of the sort involved here. All evidence suggests that it wasn't amicable. In the end, I don't know that it matters, other than it's a shame and perhaps results in Theise having a competing import business to the extent that he is not legally precluded from doing so.
I disagree that it is any evidence at all, one way or another. The day after I left my firm, my bio was deleted from the firm's website, because leaving it there would suggest a continuing relationship that no longer exists. If I were Terry, I would not want a business with whom my relationship had ended to be using my name to promote their products, especially if I intended to continue doing work in the field.

Again, I have no knowledge about the basis for the split. I am just saying that drawing a conclusion about the nature of the separation from the fact that he no longer appears on the website is a mistake.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Alan Rath » February 22nd, 2020, 10:19 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 9:49 am
I disagree that it is any evidence at all, one way or another. The day after I left my firm, my bio was deleted from the firm's website, because leaving it there would suggest a continuing relationship that no longer exists. If I were Terry, I would not want a business with whom my relationship had ended to be using my name to promote their products, especially if I intended to continue doing work in the field.

Again, I have no knowledge about the basis for the split. I am just saying that drawing a conclusion about the nature of the separation from the fact that he no longer appears on the website is a mistake.
It’s probably different in a law firm, but plenty of academic and even business entities have emeritus relationships, or just historical perspective. I do think we can infer in this case that it wasn’t something as benign as Terry retiring, in which case I would hope skurnik would celebrate his contributions. It seems likely to have been a less than amicable split.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Alan Rath » February 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 8:28 am
Keith Levenberg wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 7:22 am
David_K wrote:
I have them going back to I think the 1996 vintage.
I have quite a few in a google drive folder I have shared with a number of people. Luckily, they don’t change much from year to year ;)
Last edited by Alan Rath on February 22nd, 2020, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Jayson Cohen » February 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:
Ken V wrote:

Where is this from?
Ah, Skurnik.
John Morris wrote:

+1

Neal is right. I can think of numerous prudent legal reasons both sides would want his name and materials removed from the website, if that was their choice, even if they separated on entirely amicable terms.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 22nd, 2020, 10:30 am

Alan Rath wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 10:19 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:

It’s probably different in a law firm, but plenty of academic and even business entities have emeritus relationships, or just historical perspective. I do think we can infer in this case that it wasn’t something as benign as Terry retiring, in which case I would hope skurnik would celebrate his contributions. It seems likely to have been a less than amicable split.
Emeritus status? I suppose something like that would be possible, but I've never heard of such a thing in a private for-profit sales business. There is no suggestion that Terry is retiring or leaving the wine business altogether, and under most circumstances, someone in his position would want to retain control over the use of his name. Concluding that some sort of animus from the absence of such an arrangement seems like a real stretch.

My last word on the subject; my numerous posts in this thread might suggest a level of interest that vastly exceeds reality. I don't really GAF. I just think that it is inaccurate, and perhaps unhelpful to Terry and/or Skurnik, to suggest that this was a bitter parting when absolutely nothing of which I am aware suggests that to be true.

Return to “Wine Talk”