TN: 2017 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico

• 2017 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2/21/2020)
    Really, really good. Six months since my last sample, and the bottle tonight is the ideal expression of fleshy, balanced, Sangiovese fruit. This type of (Classico) wine doesn’t come about very often - most young Classico are a bit acidic, and/or stern - made for food. This isn’t, it’s perfectly ripe, with a good depth, and layering to the red fruits. It’s simply a joy, and I find myself wanting a case. Delicious, structured, bright, pure, what’s not to like? highly recommended, drink now thru 2024. Not an ager, so drink sooner than later.

Posted from CellarTracker

Volpaia has been on quite a run the past few vintages.

Shhhh…

+1. Had a great visit there last summer. Beautiful little village high up in the hills.

I was there, too, in 2018. It was the high point of my Chianti trip; literally since Radda is the highest village in Chianti and Volpaia is higher still. A beautiful location. After tasting I bought a case of the 15 CC Riserva for $26 before the WS big score. They recently scored the 16 Riserva even higher. I haven’t opened a bottle of other yet. Maybe I should.