TN: 2017 Montenidoli Vernaccia di San Gimignano Tradizionale

• 2017 Montenidoli Vernaccia di San Gimignano Tradizionale - Italy, Tuscany, San Gimignano, Vernaccia di San Gimignano (2/22/2020)
    2nd bottle and man does this deliver again! As all notes on CT indicate, this has the most delicious aroma and flavor of spiced, baked apples. Mildly viscous with low acidity shapes up for a white that might be veering towards flabiness; but the back half is loaded with dry mineral-esque material that just slams this home. So unique. At 17 bucks, buy this without reservation if you see it. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

These Montenidoli wines are very good wines. Brad Kaplan tasted me on a few last summer and I had a couple bottles while in Tuscany last year.
Great values, as you say. Nice note!

While I don’t disagree with Dale here, I will say that the Fiore bottling, which is a few $$ more, is in my opinion worth the upcharge. At least IMO, kind of like the difference between Felsina’s CC and CCR - while the former is still a great value, the latter has more of everything.

In the “horse of a different color” category, the Carato bottling is also very interesting/complex, although perhaps a wine that is not for everybody due to it’s extended cask aging and slightly oxidative feel.

Thanks for this Bob as the place I bought this at (Sec in PDX) has the Fiore bottle to, and for a modest uptick, I’ll give it go too.

Thanks for the TN, Dale. Montenidoli puts out some great wines. The only Vernaccia I’ve tried was the 2011, which I enjoyed very much (see my TN on CT), except for the last bottle in 2017 which was a bit over the hill. Actually, my experience with the Chianti Colli Senesi and the Canaiuolo (a rosé) are similar–after a few years, they often go over a cliff. I guess the lesson is to drink them up!

I’m a fan. And I actually prefer the Tradizionale to the Fiori - the former (if I recall correctly) bringing a bit more earth and funk from the skin maceration. Found a bottle of their Canaiuolo while in Tuscany and it hit the spot on a hot summer day.

I have had good results with whites aged 7-10 yrs…templare, fiore, vinbrusco, tradizionale. Never profound, but enjoyable and decent value. I also agree that the step-up cuvees are worth it.

This is our go to at our favorite local Italian joint and has been a favorite for years. Elisabetta Fagiuoli is an irascible character and insists on the ageability of her wines to the point where she bottles this wine under DIAM 10 IIRC. We also buy her rosato every year. All of the whites are great wines full of character that also happen to be inexpensive.

Fiore is outstanding, IMO. Some of the reds are very good too.

I like the Tradizionale and the Fiore. The Carato and Templare are interesting, but are not my cup of tea. My favorite Montenidoli is the rosato of Canaiuolo. Delicious rose.