Château Talbot St.Julien 2001

This was a nice surprise. Typical Talbot nose with rich, ripe blackcurrant and tobacco, but without the coffee beans it suffered from in the past. Bright and cheerful attack with blackcurrants and dark cherry, then the trademark spice and somewhere in the middle some plums and cranberry, before the blackcurrant rises again, much more calmly, with hints of blackberry, finishing with a crisp, acidic flourish that closes the proceedings with style. Beautifully balanced, great breadth in the middle section, with the spice lending some zest which keeps it all interesting. Really enjoyable, one of the best so far this year. Still young enough to age further and no hurry to drink. 94 points.

I didn’t like this wine at all in its youth, although the last one tasted in 2016 was showing promise. Talbot is a wine that fell of my radar some time back in the 90s and I only have a dozen or so bottles from 00, 09 and 10. I got sick of all the oak and what I perceived as copying of Léoville-Poyferré. I found this 2001 at auction recently and I’m glad I did - it’s certainly the most enjoyable I’ve had since the 86 - it will be interesting to compare it with the 2000. Compared to other 2001s, this is in my top five.

Def a fan of '01 …never had the '01 Talbot but def.will be on the lookout

Great note. I’m surprised less Bordeaux drinkers aren’t more favorably inclined to 2001 and 2004. These are both classic vintages, but clearly outshined by the hype of 2000 and 2005. Sorta like 2014 has been overlooked by many in favor of 2015 and 2016. I’ve had some excellent 2004s recently, including Ducru B and Vieux Chateau Certan. Sociando, IMHO, turned out fantastic 2001s both in the base bottling and the Cuvee Jean Gautreau. I preferred the JG over a 2001 Latour I had last year.

I second this view on 2001s. Those that I have tasted are in a great place right now for a fraction of the cost of their siblings in 2000 and 2005. 2001 Gruaud Larose was a top wine for me last year, and it doesn’t surprise that another Cordier wine is so approachable now.

Add 1999. This chateau d’armailhac I am drinking is first rate

Cheers all! Yes, 2001 and 2004 are two vintages to look out for at the moment, since there are good value wines which are drinking well and which will continue to do so for several years. My only caveat is that you have to be careful which wines you choose, since there are a lot of bland 2004s and tired 2001s. I don’t know about 1999, having finished mine already, but I’m sure Neal is right. I was lucky with the batch of Talbots - perfect levels and nice mouldy labels.

The Talbot tasted especially good coming after two 2005 Crus Bourgeois, Sénéjac and La Tour du Haut Moulin, which I didn’t enjoy at all - the tannins are dying down, but there’s an underlying power which characterizes all the 05s I’ve tried to date, which gives me a headache after one glass and which I just dislike. But each to their own. It’s the sort of power you find in a Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Hopefully this will die down, but the subtle elegance and balance of the Talbot came as a relief.

I put 2001 and 2004 over 1999, but have enjoyed some 99s like that d’Armailhac and some Les Carmes Haut Brion.

A recent 2004 Canon was really good.

A good place to start are the Duclot assortments. We bought an assorted case of 2004 as a group for around $4k, and looking forward to drinking them in 2024. May be worth looking to do something similar with the 2001s next year.

Auction prices excl. tax but including VIG around $5k

I had a bottle of the 2000 For Christmas and it was a fantastic bottle!

Isn’t yquem driving up the 01 pricing?

One of my all time favorites '99 D’armailhac…classic in spades.

No question, big fan here of the '04 vintage …so many charming wines, other than Alfert, there is another berserker who’s palate I have respect for and he is also a fan of '04 (Tooch)…

To pile on… Had the 2004 Brane-Cantenac this past weekend and it too was in a really nice spot. Didn’t take notes but remember loving the nose on this especially.

Deleted.

Thanks Steen - what about your own recs?

Deleted.