TN: Sommelier Appreciation Dinner 2020

SOMMELIER APPRECIATION DINNER 2020 - The Brown Residence (2/9/2020)

Two years ago, Reginald started a dinner to honor Nadine Elizabeth Brown, the former head sommelier at the Charlie Palmer. Last year it was Andy Myers of Jose Andres’s ThinkFoodGroup. it is becoming an annual event and the honoree was Karl Kuhn of St Anselm. Reginald was incredibly generous in the first two renditions. This time, it was beyond anything that I could have ever imagined.

Italian
There was a lot of great champagnes in the kitchen counter, all in magnum or larger formats. I started with Italian wines served in the porch. The 02 Monfortino once again shined.

• 2002 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Incredible concentration, ripe forward red fruit, noticeable but fine tannins. A lot of Monfortino iron. Though incredibly youthful, generous fruit makes it really enjoyable. A long life ahead. I guess Robert knows what he is doing. (98 pts.)
  • 1985 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Warm, round and soft red cherry fruit, a hint of cedar, still a hint of tannins at the end. A classic Giacosa. The warmth and red fruit remind me the 85 Burgundy a bit. A classic Giacosa style and clearly expression the warm vintage. (94 pts.)
  • 1995 Gaja Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    There is a hint of oxidative note. Soft red fruit, caramel, cedar/oak and still noticeable tannins. A bit hollow in the middle and showing Gaja oak. My least favorite wine of the Italian flight. (90 pts.)
  • 1990 Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia Vino da Tavola - Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola
    Incredibly youthful example. Concentrated ripe yet cool cassis fruit. Ash and a hint of petrol that I often get in Italian cabs. Still showing noticeable oak/cedar. Lead pencil. This is drinking well but can improve further. Some may find the cedar/oak note bothersome. Close to cool climate Cali cab than Bordeaux. (94 pts.)
  • 1990 Gaja Barolo Sperss - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Classic Gaja, big and rich, concentrated black fruit, dark spices and tar. Mostly masked tannins due to opulent fruit. Drinking beautifully. Unless one really doesn’t care for Gaja, it is hard not to like this wine. (96 pts.)
  • 1986 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    The fruit expression is slightly overripe, cherry liqueur. Warm and soft. There is a hint of bitterness at the end. If this is correct, the fruit is too ripe. (91 pts.)

White
I would love to savour the 90 Raveneau Clos. The PYCM was a crowd pleaser. The 90 Chevalier de Sterimberg was really fascinating.

• 2014 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Gouttes d’Or - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Beautifully expressing Lafon’s opulent concentrated fruit and the 14 vintage precision. Initially served a bit too cold. Lemon curd, beeswax and strong mineral. Succulent yumminess. (94 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Clean and fresh, no premox. Very precise and linear. There is a hint of fizz. Medium acidity of the 12 vintage but nice Les Clos mineral expression. Nice showing. (92 pts.)
  • 1990 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Fully mature expression of Chablis. Showing the 90 ripeness yet incredibly refined palate. Smoked oyster, oyster shell, lemon oil, peach, mint and crushed rock. Beautiful complexity and harmony. Drinking beautifully but better to drink sooner than later. (96 pts.)
  • 1996 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Luchets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    Very fresh example, slightly lean and cool. Fully mature but still showing good energy. Oyster shell, lemon curd and lemon oil. Drinking really well in a classic mature Meursault way. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Opulent concentrated white and yellow fruit. Coche like flint, beeswax, saline and strong wet stone. Exceptional concentration and richness yet also energetic, precise and pure. Love to serve this next to the Coche version. (97 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    En magnum. Surprisingly elegant and precise. Strong honey note, lemon and white peach, oyster shell, beeswax and fine stone dust. Rich yet energetic and fluid, good acidity and strong mineral. Showing really young and remains very fresh. (94 pts.)
  • 2005 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc l’Ermite - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    From 3L. Golden color which is typical. Strong orange rind, clementine, oyster shell, burnt sugar, beeswax and almond cookie. Perhaps slightly closed but I doubt it will regain energy and freshness. (90 pts.)
  • 2011 Coche-Dury Meursault Domaine et Selection - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    The first time I am drinking this bottling. It taste like Coche. Apple and pear, a hint of flint, beeswax and mineral. Succulent, good balance, energy and precision. Bright acidity and mineral. Delicious. (93 pts.)
  • 1990 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage Blanc Chevalier de Sterimberg - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Incredibly fresh example. Honey dominates with some background white fruit, also lanoline. Good balance and precision. Mouth puckering acidity. I am really liking it but Keith really doesn’t care for it. Very unique and interesting expression. (93 pts.)

Champagne
I decided to try the Cristals, both were brilliant.

• 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne
    Combining incredibly finesse and energy. Fresh white fruit, granny smith, pear and a hint of lemon curd. Excellent concentration, fine generous mousse, bright acidity and strong mineral. Drinking exceptional well but a long life a head. (97 pts.)
  • 2006 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut Rosé - France, Champagne
    Perfectly harmonious nose, light red and yellow fruit, also copper, smoke, oyster shell, sweet spices and limestone. Exceptional concentration yet airy and weightless, generous fine mousse, beautiful sweet fruit, bright acidity and strong limestone mineral. Drinking beautifully in a youthful way. (97 pts.)

Red Burgundy
The 91 DRC RSV was a textbook example of perfectly mature red Burgundy.

• 1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Expressive youthful nose displaying intense red fruit with a hint of black, strong stem that has not been fully resolved, more animal than usual, Vosne sprice, rose, Chinese medicine, cedar and crushed rocks. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated red and black fruit, dense yet refined, perfect amount of acidity, strong mineral and a long concentrated red and black fruit driven finish with stem and Chinese medicine at the end. Still needs time. (97 pts.)
  • 1991 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru
    Absolutely gorgeous perfectly mature Burgundy nose that we love, fully developed sous bois, fully mature red fruit that is slightly turning to yellow, essence of raspberry, strawberry water, Chinese medicine, sweet spices, shiitake, light caramel, tree bark and earth. Epitome of elegance yet expressive and harmonious. Drinking perfectly. (97 pts.)
  • 1998 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru
    Really masculine and structured Burgundy. Cherry, strong cedar, white button mushroom, only a hint of sous bois and earth. Very good concentration, a bit angular, still noticeable tannins, good acidity, earthy mineral and a medium to long slightly dry red fruit driven finish. For my palate, it still needs another decade to gain additional tertiary notes. (93 pts.)
  • 1993 Domaine Leroy Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Classic Leroy style with beautifully concentrated red fruit and caramel. I get cherry liqueur and strangely Chinese lacquer. Exceptional concentration, concentrated sweet red fruit, rich and dense without being heavy, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long decadent red fruit driven finish. Really delicious yet pretty serious wine, very Leroy signature but not much Chambolle. (94 pts.)
  • 1988 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    Medium expressive youthful nose displaying slightly dry sweet red fruit with a hint of black, strong stem, dill, Vosne spices, a hint of soy and earth. Excellent concentration, slightly coiled red fruit, slightly coarse tannins and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish with stem at the end. This is a bit masculine at the moment. Perhaps wait for another five to ten years? (94 pts.)
  • 1993 Domaine Leroy Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Expressive nose displaying decadent concentrated red fruit, raspberry, strawberry jam, Vosne spice, caramel, truffle and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of decadent red fruit, rich and dense, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long decadent red fruit driven finish with Vosne spice and caramel at the end. I love Beaux Monts from Leroy. It used to be the best value Leroy at around $250. Really yummy wine. (96 pts.)
  • 1995 Claude Dugat Griotte-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Explosive hedonistic nose displaying concentrated red fruit, very meaty, sous bois, caramel, sautéed cep and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated decadent red fruit, rich yet nicely detailed and precise, perfect amount of acidity, earthy mineral and a long concentrated red fruit driven finish with lingering sweetness at the end. This used to be more expensive than La Tache as it was rated like 99 by TWA. The young sommeliers were not familiar with the domaine and seem to love it. Apparently John Gilman rated the wine 72 points. Now that is funny. (97 pts.)
  • 1999 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Clear purple color. Very youthful nose displaying concentrated black fruit, blackberry and black cherry, caramel, tree bark, sweet spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, slightly coiled clean black fruit, silky and polished, medium acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. Another incredibly youthful example. Needs another decade as not much sous bois has developed. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    En magnum. Medium expressive nose displaying slightly dry red fruit, sous bois, sautéed mushroom and mineral. Excellent concentration, packed concentrated red fruit, rich and dense, bright acidity, strong mineral, noticeable slightly coarse tannins and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish. It lacks the detail that I typically get in M. Gibourg wines. (93 pts.)

2011 La Las
The 11 La Landonne displayed the 11 LBT like greeness. The 11 La Las didn’t show well.

• 2011 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Still way too young. Primary blue fruit, beacon fat, ash, liquid smoke and earth. Very good concentration, slightly coiled blue fruit, medium acidity and mineral, and a long concentrated blue fruit driven finish. Still needs a decade or more. Perhaps the weakest vintage? (93 pts.)
  • 2011 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Medium concentration, red and black fruit, coffee, mocha, strong green/pyrazine/LBT and earth. Medium concentration, hollow mid-palate and a medium to short finish. Reminds me some of the 11 red Burgs. (91 pts.)
  • 2011 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Mouline - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    I don’t fine any green/pyrazine. Medium expressive nose displaying generous soft red fruit, a hint of olive, black pepper, lavender and mineral. Very good concentration, nicely layered red fruit, silky and polished, medium acidity, good mineral presence and a medium to long warm red fruit driven finish. Still needs time. (93 pts.)

Afterwards
Reginald generously pulled a vertical of La Landonne. Unfortunately, I had no more energy to taste. However, I got to try the below four wines.

• 1998 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Intense nose displaying ripe black fruit with a hint of red, blackberry liqueur, crushed blackberry, black cherry, raspberry concentrate, lavender, dark spices, ash, caramel, cedar and earth. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of intense black fruit, rich and unctuous, medium acidity, nicely integrated tannins and a long concentrated black fruit driven finish with lavender at the end. It is drinking beautifully in a youthful way but a long life ahead. (96 pts.)
  • 2003 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Clearly expressing the 03 ripeness, cherry liqueur, dry cherry, leather, sweet spices and earth. Exceptional concentration, rich and fat, medium acidity, earthy mineral, and a medium to long very ripe and slightly dry red cherry fruit driven finish. It taste more like Rayas than Richebourg. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Youthful intense nose displaying concentrated black fruit, a hint of roasted meat, mocha, dark spices, black pepper, lavender and crushed rock. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of intense black fruit, silky and unctuous, good acidity and strong mineral, and a long intense black fruit driven finish with black pepper and lavender at the end. This really needs time. I imagine this will develop like the 90. (97 pts.)
  • 1998 Noël Verset Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    Classic meaty Cornas, tapenade, leather, licorice and earth. Very good concentrated, layers upon layers of black fruit, silky and warm, medium acidity and strong earthy mineral, and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. Drinking beautifully. (94 pts.)

My sincere gratitude goes to Reginald B. There were forty to fifty guests and no one was thirty at the night’s end.
Posted from CellarTracker

So nice!

hmmm…guess it pays to be a sommelier.

“There were forty to fifty guests and no one was thirty at the night’s end.”

After so many great wines I’d forget my age too!

Odd about the La Las…I have not seen 2011 Northern Rhône described as an off vintage to that extent, it’s not 2009 or 2010 but is generally considered fairly solid though not great in Cote Rotie

Kevin,

What do you mean by Coche-Dury Domaine et Sélection ?

Kinda odd bottle, different labeling, but Coche Dury.

Super event Kevin. How many somms were in attendance? That '99 DRC Rich is an amazing wine. Happy to have some '15 PYMC CC!

I would say about 2/3 were wine/restaurant related professionals.

Kevin, fun to be transported back by this note. We are hoping to be able to do a 2021 dinner outdoors later this year. Theme uncertain, but the somms certainly deserve it after the last 12 months.

Laurent,

Here is the guff on the Domaine et Selection Coche relationship (a letter sent out regarding the 2007 release).

Please find details of the 2007 vintage soon to be released.

This is the 12th vintage from my vineyard, Meursault les Vireuils Dessus. Our 6.54 ouvrees produces annually around 1400 bottles, 700 bottles sold under my label, Domaine et Selection with the remaining 700 bottles sold under the Coche Dury label by Jean Francois Coche Dury.

My vineyard is under contract of sharing the crop with Domaine Jean Francois Coche Dury in Meursault and has been since the production of our first vintage, the 1996.

All of the work in the vineyard is done by Coche and his crew, including the harvest (in which I participate) and finally, all of the work in the cellar (elevage) and bottling. The payment for his work and service is 50% of the total production of my vineyard every year.

Jean Francois works several small various parcels in Meursault that he declares as straight Meursault and not the Lieu dit (Vireuils Dessus for example) - this means that I do not have the legal right to put Vireuils Dessus on the front label but can add it to the back label, as you can see. For Jean Francois, this is only to save bureaucratic paper work and various declarations that you have to complete in order to comply with the necessary laws in France when making wine or any alcohol based liquid. Please note that this has nothing to do with quality - the Vireuils Dessus is, as you all know, a sensational wine from a superb vineyard that continues to produce elegant and high mineral based wine. It is the last vineyard to be harvested every year and is probably the Meursault that keeps longest, with a life span of at least 20 years and possibly up to 30 years of age.

The letters JF Cd in Meursault that are shown on the bottom of the label stand for the Domaine above and this wine should not be sold, nor advertised, as Coche Dury - this wine is Domaine et Selection made by Coche Dury.

Thank you for purchasing our wines.

Yours truly

Johan Bjorklund

1 Like

Great event and as always, superb notes. Nice note on the Claude Dugat. I remember tasting there with Scott Manlin in I think 2004. I am not a Burgundy hound like many of you (personal short-coming on my part to be sure) but I remember the purity and freshness of the wines. He only spoke French and I only spoke English, but I was struck by his quiet, humble manner, and how quietly proud he was of our enjoyment of the bucket list tasting. One of my favorite wine memories.

I have to assume you weren’t spitting, so my hat is off to you for surviving that many wines. Wow!

Young 1988 La Tache was (almost) undrinkable. I had the wine when it was 10 and 15 years old and wondered if this will ever be a good wine. It seems that it is still not really enjoyable today.

Had an allocation of this for a while before people caught on and the price skyrocketed even on release. Had my first bottle from the 08 case just last week. Definitely needed more time!

Recently had the Rousseau Chambertin 2008 (wait) and the Rousseau Clos St-Jacques 2008 (great, can be drunk) …