TN: Ridge Zin Boatman '17...(short/boring)

Tried this last night w/ Susan:

1. Ridge Zin BoatmanVnyd/AlexVlly/SonomaCnty (92% Zin/8% PS; 14.5%; 55 brls; bttld 2/2019; tartaric acid; Drk: 1/19-1/24-1/25: JO) 2017: Dark color; fairly strong raspberry/blackberry/Zinberry/Zin lightly spicy some vanilla/Am.oak slight peppery attractive nose; bit soft slight metallic/tangy strong raspberry/Zinberry/blackberry some toasty/vanilla/Ridge oak fairly balanced/drinkable flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/lightly spicy some vanilla/Am.oak bit soft finish w/ light tannins; another pleasant/attractive Ridge ATP Zin but just that; a slight step above the EastBench but not particularly distinctive. $36.00 (ATP)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I’m a charter member of the Ridge ATP club. I continue to subscribe. Every once in awhile; I’ll see signs that they’re trying to improve the quality & distinctiveness of their ATP wines. There were no such signs in this Boatman. Ohhh, well…on to the Buchangnani.
    Tom

Thanks. Fellow ATP member here but I haven’t cracked this one yet. We always love the Buchagnanis though. I’ll let you know how we like the Boatman.

Another fan of the Buchagnani which keeps me going back to the ATP. But I will say, the Boatman isn’t bad with Chili.

Thanks for the TN, interesting to hear your thoughts on this vintage. I haven’t had the ‘17 yet but I have found the Boatman to be quite vintage-dependent. The ‘15 I thought was nice but lacking in distinctiveness, whereas the ‘16 knocked my socks off. The Buchignani Carignane is a perennial favorite around here, the zin not far behind.