Di Fara's offline - Wine List

Clifton was nice enough to prepare the list of wines for the Fat Tuesday Di Fara’s offline. There were a couple of additions after the list was made. Hopefully those folks will add to it.

NV Valentin Leflaive Champagne Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut, Champagne, France
2008 Grongnet Champagne Special Club, Champagne, France
2016 Ceritas Chardonnay Peter Martin Ray, Santa Cruz/California, USA

2009 AR.PE.PE. Valtellina Superiore - Grumello Riserva Sant’Antonio, Valtellina, Italy
2015 Proprietà Sperino Uvaggio, Coste della Sesia/Northern Piedmont, Italy
2011 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato, Barolo, Italy
2012 Vietti Barolo Lazzarito, Barolo, Italy

2004 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino, Tuscany, Italy
2010 Fattoria Poggio di Sotto Brunello di Montalcino, Tuscany, Italy
2014 No Girls Tempranillo, Walla Walla Valley/Washington, USA
2016 Broc Cellars Vine Starr Red, California, USA
2016 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Frank’s Block Teldeschi Vineyard, Sonoma County, USA

2010 Favia Rompecabezas, Amador County/California, USA
1997 Ridge Monte Bello, Santa Cruz/California, USA
2016 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Georges III Vineyard, Napa Valley, USA
2017 Becklyn Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, USA

1970 Dow Porto Vintage, Porto, Portugal

A bit of a mad dash, so caveat emptor…

2011 Monprivato: Strong showing, reflecting ripe red fruit with a smooth finish. Not particularly deep or complex at this point.
2012 Vietti Lazzarito: Poor showing for the price point, a bit muddled. Disappointing to me as I brought it. Hopefully improves with more time. Have 2 to sell if others liked this more :slight_smile:
2004 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino: Runner up for WOTY. Smooth, luscious with mushroom notes. Not a style of wine I would drink a whole bottle of, but very good.
2010 Fattoria Poggio di Sotto Brunello di Montalcino: Very good and would try again. Different in style than the '04, which was more dense picking up tertiary notes… this was more midweight with primary red fruit. I think I prefer this style, but then I think I would just go nebbiolo vs. a midweight brunello.
2014 No Girls Tempranillo: Found this to be grapey with strong vanilla notes.
2016 Broc Cellars Vine Starr Red: Best pizza wine of the night? Should have tried again. Much, much lighter zin style than the O&F, more crystalline. Did not strike as an ager, but a daily drinker with fruit, gentle tannin, balance. Not pretentious, but good. And probably improves over the next couple years? Only a brief impression, but would like to try again.
2016 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Frank’s Block Teldeschi Vineyard: Felt a bit grapey. Much more creamy (french oak?) and concentrated than the Broc. Think this is a wine that needs more years in bottle to give a fair shot, vs. the Broc was more approachable today. That said, don’t think this evolves into a wine I would seek out.
1997 Ridge: I think this was the 1997 Montelena, which was my WOTY. My glass was the dredges filled with sediment, but nevertheless reminded me of Bordeaux like fruit with a healthy dose of green. Closer to Lynch Bage than Caymus? Curious now to seek out other Montelena.
2016 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Georges III : Very good midweight+ cab with similar plush flavor found in heavier napa cabs. Would like to try again in 10.

Dan,

Thanks again for organizing! There was quite a bit of wine not reported.

The 2011 Mascarello was nice but a little flat, probably needed some time.

Tooting my own horn, the 2010 Fanti Riserva Brunello di Montalcino Vigna le Macchiarelle out of magnum was pretty damn good.

The 2004 Cerbaie Brunello was amazing. Fresh, youthful, tons of fruit, well balanced, a bit of menthol.

The 08 Grognet Special Club was loaded with acid and minerals bounded by bright fruit. Very nice.
vaona.jpg
cerbaie.jpg
fanti.jpg
difara pizza.jpg

ho w many people? how many bottles?
why so few notes? seems like lots of fun!!!

There may be a connection. neener

22 people with 23 - 25 bottles of wine.

This offline (and others I’ve attended) are always about the people and good company.
The wine and pizza are 2nd and 3rd.

Why don’t you join us in 2021? Send me a reminder PM on January 1. I expect this will be organized by PM. Just between us, it’s much harder organizing an event by PM. It’s so much easier to post a thread. [wink.gif]

This event is always open to Berserkers in good standing.

22 people with 23 - 25 bottles of wine.

This offline (and others I’ve attended) are always about the people and good company.
The wine and pizza are 2nd and 3rd.

Why don’t you join us in 2021? Send me a reminder PM on January 1. I expect this will be organized by PM. Just between us, it’s much harder organizing an event by PM. It’s so much easier to post a thread. [wink.gif]

This event is always open to Berserkers in good standing.

Dan