2017 Detert Family Release

2017 Cab Franc- $95 AG93
2017 Cab Sav- $95 AG95

Seems like a decent price. Think I will try one of each.

Has anyone tried the '17’s?

I have not, so feel free to ignore this, but I’ve had most of the vintages since 2002 and even the difficult ones (2011, looking at you) they somehow do an excellent job at expressing the site. I suspect you won’t be sad to order these, as they’re a great bargain these days. EDIT: looking at my notes, I’ve had the 2011 cab franc but not the cab sauvignon.

Notes here on the 2017 Detert wines, from a visit with Tom Garrett early last month. Impressed with all of their wines.

Visit to Detert Family Vineyards, January 2020

Edit: forgot that I also posted my notes on both Detert and Dakota Shy on the board a few weeks ago - link is here:

Small production for 2017 – 150 cases of CF and 95 cases of CS – so allocations are lower than in previous years.

+1 on Glen’s opinion: I haven’t had a bad bottle of Detert. I just placed the order for my full allocation and wish listed additional bottles.

Thanks Glen. I had thought I had tried one a few years back and sure enough I won a bottle of the 2006 way back in 2012. I remember enjoying it. I will definitely pick up 2-3 bottles.

Also they’re agers. Except for the 2003 vintage, which is fading, I find most of them still require a pretty good decant. At some point I hope I get a chance to open one with a Macdonald for a compare/contrast.

I’ve been getting offers for quite a few vintages and went for 2016 East Block CF. Really looking forward to it when the time comes. Haven’t gotten an allocation email for 2017 but would like to get some Oakville cab franc while the EB stays put.