2001 Coche Rougeots/1991 Bertheau Bonnes Mares...

Hey Burgheads…going to open these this weekend. What would you suggest the prep be for each? Any recent accounts?

[cheers.gif]

get clean glasses and decanter, remove foil, remove cork. Decant. Drink.

I’d be careful with the sediment in the Bertheau. Any older ones I have had chucked a lot of sediment.

Cross Ian and Alan’s advise and you are ready to go. If you can muster any restraint, I would expect dividends from an extended evaluation over the course of 3-4 hours of decanter time.

Looking forward to notes,
fred

Don’t brush your teeth right before drinking. I’m not sure my last Coche was proper after that :slight_smile:

Looks like a good weekend is on the books!

Coche-Dury’s 2001s are quite open and expressive, and I am not sure an extended decant is necessarily the way forward. It won’t do the wine any harm, but you might loose a bit of aromatic expression, and I do not think you will really gain anything.

I opened the 1991 Bertheau Chambolle Charmes last fall and it was in a great place pop and pour

Coche made great 2001’s , the best in white Burgundy imho , but now they are on their decline . I would not decant

No decant on either unless it’s just to pour off of some sediment in the Bertheau, then pour immediately. These are exactly the kinds of wines I want to engage with at every step along the way as they open up in my glass.

???

How can they be the best whites if they didn’t even make it to the two decade mark?

Or do you simply dislike the vintage as a whole?

Why is that so strange ? I loved the 2001 wines at Coche but they are not build to age like a lot of other vintages they made . Rafael Coche agrees btw .
And overall , 2001 white Burgundy is an ok vintage , not a great one .