TN: 2016 Benoit Courault - "Les Tabeneaux" (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou)

2016 Benoit Courault Les Tabeneaux - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (2/22/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple –

NOSE: classic Cab. Franc pyrazines; slightly high-toned — seems slightly carbonic; red-fruited; old wood furniture; medium+ expressiveness; hints of wet stones and raisins.

BODY: garnet color of medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: carbonic-tasting; drying tannin; medium-light concentration of fruit; lots of garrigué — maybe a hint of brett?; obviously Cabernet Franc; loosely structured, and not terribly packed; gut impression score: high 80s, and I think it’s best to Drink Now and over the short term.

I tried really hard to like this and also the 2016 Guinechiens (white from old vines) given the recommendations I’ve received from multiple folks I respect. But I don’t get it. The red was a single pour. The white I followed over days.

I chalk it up to — these hit someone’s sweet spot, just not mine. Or I’ve haven’t found the right Courault for me yet.

I loved the 2016 “Gilbourg” (100% Chenin), but it was oxidative in nature, sooooo … not for everybody.

I thought this Tabenaux was good, but not good enough to justify buying again. In the same general price range it’s pretty easy to find better Loire C.F.s.

A vigneron very much of the natural school so not surprising to read of wines marked by oxidation and Brett.