Zin recommendations?

Hi everyone,

If there’s an appropriate older thread to point me to, please feel free, and I’ve got some mileage from the great old-vine zinyards thread, but I’m wondering if any of the zin lovers on here could provide me with a few producers to focus in on in exploring more of this wonderful grape.

I have long loved Ridge’s and Turley’s offerings, had great experiences with Rafanelli and Scherrer, and good experiences with Bedrock and Carlisle. I worked last harvest at Williams Selyem and liked our zins but didn’t love them, ditto for Hartford Court, and in both cases found the $60 price tag to be a turnoff. I’d like to stay under $50, preferably under $40.

Any ideas?

Bucklin, maybe also Biale.

Love me some zin - looking forward to this discussion!

With your positive feedback on Scherrer, Bedrock, Carlisle, and Ridge, my first thought was that your preferences would lean towards more med/med+ bodied zins with a focus on balance and structure, but since you also mentioned Turley as a favorite, it sounds like you’re open to larger scale versions as well (yeah, I know Teagan’s dialed it back some but they still come across bigger to me vs. The other producers mentioned).

That being said, my first thought would have been Hartford, as IMHO, their wines have never been better and their zins have catapulted towards the top of my list in recent years (now sitting alongside Bedrock and Carlisle), but sounds like you didnt dig em as much. I really like the Bucklin reference (Wills entire lineup is awesome), and would also suggest checking out Once & Future (Joel Peterson’s latest project).

Couple other options would be Matthiasson Zinfandel which to me is somewhat similar in style to Scherrer (lighter bodied, low alcohol, and plenty of acidity), and Limerick Lane… although the LL zins have reached the price point where I’m sadly no longer a buyer (most will be over your threshold).

Last…if you can find em for a good price at auction, I’m a huge fan of the Beekeeper Zins. Expensive at retail, but very, very good.

Looking forward to hearing from my fellow zin fans/friends on the topic (you know who you are)

Give Talty in Dry Creek Valley a try. Not too big, not too lean, just like Goldilocks… just right :slight_smile:

Tom

As I read your post, the name that screamed out to me is Limerick Lane. I think if someone likes the producers you like - Ridge, Carlisle, Rafanelli, etc. - then LL is one you’ve got to try. The flavors really pop.

But the prices push against and beyond your price points. Their regular appellation zin is excellent at $30-35 or so though.

Cabot Marier Zin is excellent value in the $20s for a more red fruited, crunchier zin.

Mathiasson is a really good zin, also in a crunchy red fruit / low oak style.

I take fruit from a small grower opposite Peltier Winery in Lodi. So one day I dropped in to try some of their wine after I was done sampling fruit. And their regular Zin, Peltier Diamondback turned out to be excellent, actually. I even preferred it to their reserve one. At only about $20-25, it’s a great value. And Lodi really is the the best region for old vine Zin.

Bucklin are excellent Zins in your price range. Down to earth people also.

1 Like

If you make it to Berkeley, Lusu Cellars at 805 Camelia St (around the corner from Broc and Donkey & Goat) makes excellent zins, and the prices are very friendly. They’re up there with Ridge and Briceland on my list of favorite California zin producers. And now that I mention it, Briceland (a board favorite) makes exceptional and very unusual zin.

At under $40 and more on the elegant side of the spectrum, I really like Wilde Farm and Hobo.

https://www.wildefarmwines.com/

Good call, Tom. I forgot about them, but they may be right in the stylistic pocket the OP is looking for.

1 Like

Came here to say this.

If you want to explore the more delicate and balanced side of Zin I’d check out Scott Harvey, Sky, & Joseph Swan.

Looks like I need to try one - never had a Talty zin!

Already loving this thread.

Ben, take advantage of barrel tasting weekend this and next week and try Joseph Swan and Wine Guerilla in Forestville, Nalle and Mauritson in Dry Creek.

Reach out to Kurt at Boheme, and grab some of his 2013 Old Mancini Ranch zin. You will not, repeat, not be disappointed.

Not as fruity as a Carlisle, which I also enjoy, but herbal and savory out of the wazzoo…

Do it man, do it!

A few that I would add would be Dry Creek, Truett Hurst and Nalle.

Ed

I’m a fan of Turley zins, but have only ever bought at wine auctions. Not sure what retail is on them.

Thanks for thinking of us, Mark. For the record, I am not a fan of the prevailing style of CA Zins. In my view, many are picked too late so that site and vintage traits are washed out by jammy, porty notes. I like port, but not in my red wine.

YES

The Hartford Family RRV Old Vines should be about $42. Zins in price range and not yet mentioned would include Brown Estate and Reichwage. I’ve reviewed many of these on Zinfandel Chronicles. Good luck.

Tom

2 Likes