TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Rabaja, '86 Bertani Valpolicella)

Got together with some of the usual suspects last night to check out the new Lyla Lila in midtown and drink some decent wines. We have been a luck few the past few years as our nights are always marked by all wines showing well. Been a good run. Per usual, I tried to jot down some thoughts as we dined.

• 2007 Azienda Agricola Valentini Trebbiano d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Trebbiano d’Abruzzo
    Has a nose that speaks of white Burgundy, but with air, an oxidative, wild-herbal note comes on. Initially, it feels pretty tight, but there is clearly a lot of life packed in. You get a slightly waxy, white fruit in the palate. With air, it just totally pops and was awesome about an hour after opening. Singular wine, there is texture, and fragrance that comes in and out in waves and plenty of lift left to the palate. Terrific and glad to have more as there is no rush on these.
  • 2015 Emidio Pepe Trebbiano d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Trebbiano d’Abruzzo
    Really love this stuff. Super showing. Ready to rock out of the gate. Vibrant, lively white fruit and a rounded slightly waxy texture. Super fresh on the palate, wiry acid and a long finish. Very fine with years to go. Old vine bottling. Nice to try the younger and older Trebbiano next to each other.

• 2004 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    This was opened a few hours prior to dinner, recorked and brought to the restaurant. Tremendous showing. Power and balance and beauty. So much to the nose: cherry and tar and spice. Still so youthful on palate. Burgundian intensity. Everything is here and will be for years. This is why you buy Giacosa.
  • 1986 Bertani Recioto della Valpolicella Classico Superiore - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Recioto della Valpolicella Classico Superiore
    A nice surprise. Youthful. Smelled like port or sherry, there was some Christmas spice notes (stole that from Brad). It seems like it should be a dessert wine, but it was more than that and was really just a good drink. Though, it was a nice match with the chocolate-caramel dessert. Really good stuff and still full of life.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds like an awesome night Dennis. The Valentini and Pepe wines are showstoppers for sure and age effortlessly.

tom

Great stuff Dennis! I recently had a Pepe trebbiano 2006. Fascinating wine – tar, smoke, wax, orchard fruit. Somebody said “it’s a white that drinks like a red”, and honestly I can’t think of a better description.

And recioto is so underappreciated. A recent Bussola TB 2004 had the sweet/savory quality, so often featured in my favorite wines, in spades. Unlike VP, I agree, works very well with chocolate.

Thanks, Tom. I am a fairly recent convert to Trebbiano. Wish I could afford Valentini with more regularly and Pepe is creeping up into the same range. Great wines.

Thanks, Kelly! Nice take, a white that drinks red. I get that. I think the first time I’ve ever had Bertani. A nice treat. [cheers.gif]

I tasted this Valentini Trebbiano 2007 during Vinexpo 2013. It turned out to be a great (terrific) wine, probably the best white italian I have ever tasted.

Btw, the Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto 2007 was great too.

Could have written the same note for the 2001 I had last year. Tremendous aging potential.

I hear you Dennis, getting priced out of Pepe and Valentini wines. Been a year since we tasted through a selection of their wines. Fingers crossed it will get repeated in some way.

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/embarrassment-of-riches-wines-of-emidio-pepe-valentini-and-torre-dei-beati/151316/1

Nice. I am in no rush on these, I have a couple more and some 14 and 15. Clearly, the 07 has a while to go. It was best after a lot of air.

Nice tasting, Tom. Helpful thoughts here. I missed it when you posted last year.

Yum notes, Dennis. Haven’t had a Valentini as yet (at least I don’t remember having had one), and only the Pecorino from Pepe (which made my WOTY list last year).

Kwa Heri

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Next time you are in town: Velentini!

Great notes, D!

Mouth watering…With all of Italy in quarantine, they’ll have ample amount of time to drink their wines.

Great line up of Italian wines from the northern parts; all top notch producers. Drooling…

BTW, I have vertical of Emidio Pepe trebbiano 15 thru 17. Any suggestions on how long to wait? Have triplets of each vintage…