TN: 1995 Charles Joguet Chinon Clos du Chêne Vert

Now that the Franc de Pied bottling has ceased, succumbed to the Phyloxerra louse, I think the Chene Vert cuvee is best of class in the Joguet stable. An archetype Chinon, compared to Dioterie, which in very good years, takes on a scale that is a bit big for Chinon. I recall the 2005, which is quite tasty, hitting 14.5%, and drinks accordingly. The 2005 Franc de Pied and the Chene Vert are better that year. But I am quibbling.

This 1995 Chene Vert is spectacular. I know mid-90s Joguet have received some criticism, but for my palate, that would not be fair to this cuvee. This is the second bottle that I have had in the past 3 months. This second bottle is even better than my December note. Complex notes of both fresh and dried fruits, mostly spanning the red spectrum, with dry earth, tobacco leaf and leather. A hint of perfumed funk. The palate is so “soil-to-glass-transfer”. Like nothing in between. Crushed strawberries, cranberries and sweet red raspberries. On the lighter side of medium weight, so effortless, floats across the mouth with a deft footprint. Tannins entirely resolved, like gone. Finish is just pure juicy sweet fruit with a crisp cut. Perfectly at apogee, captured at that moment in time where you truly think this wine can be no better, no worse.

Most excellent. I feel lucky to drink this well-preserved, perfectly matured wine. And to think that I paid all of $25 for the 2005 Chene Vert, and now wish that I had bought multiple case.

(94 pts.)

537465A6-736F-4F46-BB12-3C1674FB5349.jpeg

It’s not a certified Alfert note until the term ‘apogee’ pops up to flex ts metaphorical muscle

Or petrichor! Lol.

By introducing the term petrichor, you are now eligible to join our synesthetes group. Look for the secret invitation!

Like Dead Poets Society?

Fidelio?

Sure. I did say tobacco.

Sounds great, especially the crushed strawberry and all that sweet raspberry!

Interesting what you say about Clos du Chêne Vert as opposed to Clos de la Dioterie. I don’t have enough experience yet of either to comment, except to say that it would seem that the Joguet team agree that they are at least as good as each other now - the 2016 wines have been released here at exactly the same price. I haven’t followed previous release prices closely, but I suspect it’s the first time.

Great note about what sounds like a lovely wine.

I don’t know joguet as well as I should. In your view, what’s the best bottling after the chene vert and dioterie?

Charles Joguet Chinon Les Varennes du Grand Clos

Thanks

I read a study today that Covid does in fact impact brain cells on older people, especially men. I think this is true. I just popped another 95 Joguet Chene Vert. I had no recollection of recently having popped this wine, and yet here it was, pre-Covid. Damn that’s a good note. I have nothing to add.

Thanks for the awesome note Robert. You definitely got me hooked on Chinon for sure. Can’t stop won’t stop!

Nice note.

Huh. No 95 left. I have one bottle of 96. Could be opened if Alfert wanted to come climb our hills.

Alfert is ok in hills, you are just mean to me in the mountains !

This wine is so pretty…

58F620CE-8078-40DC-A0FB-780E33857167.jpeg

1 Like