Well done, Vinous Media: new article on Chile published in both English and Spanish

I thought it was pretty cool to see Vinous Media publish their newest feature in both English and Spanish. It’s a piece entitled, “The Many Different Chiles of Chile,” written by a newer contributor at Vinous, JOAQUÍN HIDALGO. I hadn’t ever heard of him, so from Vinous’ site: On paper, Joaquín Hidalgo is ideally placed to be a successful wine critic: not only does he have a degree in Winemaking from the Liceo Agrícola, he also has a degree in Journalism from the National University of La Plata. Since 2003, Joaquín has been living in Buenos Aires where he writes about wine and food for several major media outlets including weekly columns for La Nación, the major national newspaper, and La Mañana de Neuquén. He is regularly heard on radio and co-founded vinomanos.com, the first mobile guide to Argentine wines.

The fact that they’re attempting to broaden the audience is great. Nice work, Joaquin and Vinous. [cheers.gif]

I like it too.

The recent Bordeaux article was also printed in French.

Forefront of reporting on wine…the biggest issue I have, and this has nothing to do with Vinous, is no one has filled Parker’s shoes when it comes to moving markets. No reviewer or team has been able to take the lead, and maybe no one ever will, but it would be nice to see a true leader in wine criticism. They just all took a portion and it’s a diluted pool.

Doesn’t that assume that all consumers then have the same palate and preferences as a single wine critic who somehow is the most knowledgeable and best at tasting all varietals, blends, regions, and terriors? I think RP had outsized influence as he was the one that started and popularized the 100 point rating; not because he was necessarily the best. For someone to have that level of influence again I think they would need to revolutionize the wine reviewing/rating system in a way that connected with consumers on another level beyond what’s done today.