the 2015 Brunello di Montalcino report

From nearly a month, and yet in a way, a lifetime, ago.

Now that I’m holed up here in Chianti Classico, I’ve got some time, and so I finished my full report on the Brunello wines. I tasted a good number of rosso wines, too, and I’ll try to get that out tomorrow. It’s been a wild ride.

Which 2015 Brunello is for you? – ItalianWine.blog - all of these are on CT, but there’s a bit more order on the site.

"I’m going to ignore, if just for a little while, the reality this is just outside of my door here in Chianti Classico area, and write something about wine. Why? Because plenty of people love wine, and some love in particular, the Brunello wine of Montalcino area.

This year’s Benvenuto Brunello event was held in its regular location within the historic city’s center. It was about a week after I’d arrived in Italia, and there was only a murmuring of discussion about the virus; discussions of fatalities, and economic woes followed shortly after.

The event is divided into several days: (1) Friday is a day for the world’s press. We’re seated in a room, with service provided by professional sommeliers, each whom pours the six different bottles we request in each flight. No one has time to taste all of the wines this day, but many try. I see journalists, freelancers, bloggers, ‘pros’, etc., taking about 30 seconds with a wine before jotting some note/score. And while some wines don’t require much thought to figure out, some of the wine at this event deserved more proper attention. In my opinion, anyway. (2) Saturday, a mix of Italian tradespeople, some foreigners/bloggers, etc. (3Su)(4Mo)(5Tu) open to the public; far too chaotic for me anymore.

WHICH 2015 BRUNELLO IS FOR YOU?

If you’re a serious collector, the wines in the highly recommended category deserve your attention. If you’re a casual wine drinker, whose budget is more a concern than absolute quality/longevity, the wines in the recommended category are largely good values; consider these safe bets."

2015 Brunello di Montalcino, new releases (Montalcino): Benvenuto Brunello 2020, Montalcino, 2015 Vasco Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino - CellarTracker

2015 Vasco Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino
Pretty nose, full of baking spice, creamy oak, earth, and fresh leather. On the palate, it’s medium-bodied, leans modern with its creamy berry and oak mid-palate. Tannins clamp down a bit on the end, so give this a few years at least. Ultimately missing the freshness, and lift to go to the next level, but good nonetheless. Drink 2022-2031. recommended

Full 2015 Brunello report here Which 2015 Brunello is for you? – ItalianWine.blog

hopefully, some will find this report to be useful/helpful

Tim

Thanks Tim. Any word on the Pertimali (Livio Sassetti) Brunello di Montalcino?

just checked notes, as expected, highly recommended, i.e. BUY!

Thanks for the report Tim. Like you, I too love a good Brunello. The 2015 Rosso’s were exceptional so I have been eagarly awaiting this vintage’s release. I enjoyed the GWoI Sucking event in NYC earlier this month and got to try several 2015’s only reaffirming my belief that this is an excellent vintage. I will be stocking-up on many while still leaving room in the cellar for the 2016’s that should also be very good.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the notes Tim, there are worse places to be holed up than Chianti, stay well!

2015 Agostina Pieri Brunello di Montalcino – Lots of Fr oak on the nose, with little sense of place just now. Ripe red currant, some basil, truffle cream. The palate is med+ bodied, shows something of a tiny hole mid-palate, and the finish now is avg. Good, not great. Needs time to shine. Drink 2024-2034. recommended

That sounds weird.

How much experience do you have with Agostina Pieri?

visited twice, tasted all wines in past 10 years, own 5+ different vintages, about 20 bottles in all. These are young, obviously, not all show at their best - plus bottle variation. I just say what’s in my glass.

many '16s are next level, so chose '15s carefully, leaving lots of dry powder :slightly_smiling_face:

Tim-
Just opened a bottle of the 2015 Poggio di Sotto Rosso (excellent) and couldn’t imagine how great the Brunello would be…nice to see your note in the report.

Looks like you didn’t get to taste the Uccelliera?

I did, liked it better than Voliero; still, I’m not a buyer, and I own plenty from other vintages. I’ll be working on a few more Brunello wines tommorow, along with the rosso wines, and the 150++ from the Chianti Classico Collection event.

During the day here, because there are long lines for grocery, pharmacy, baker, and because places close for 3 hours in the afternoon, juggling time is a constant battle. Everything closed tomorrow, so I’ll try to get some stuff done.

Great report! Any feedback from Biondi Santi, Valdicava, or La Serena?

Tim, there were comments elsewhere about 2015 being a hit and miss vintage, with some high alcohol hot wines. Did you run across any of these in your tastings?

Tim,
Have you tasted any recent vintages of either Azienda Vitivinicola Il Colle or Vigna Spuntali?

Both of them from the late 90’s thru 2006-2008 were on my list of favorites, and comparable in style to Scopetone. Haven’t seen much on them of late though, and am wondering how the ‘15 and ‘16 vintages are in comparison.

I thought her 2013 normale was simply phenomenal - easily the best sub-$50 red we saw in our market that year [which I seem to remember having been 2018] - it had the most elegant mouthfeel of any red wine I had tasted in forever.

Maybe 2015 wasn’t a good vintage for her style?

Or maybe you’re looking for more powerful fruit esters in your Brunelli?

Costanti?

Thanks for the reviews and the article.
I have seen positive comments, and, although my sample size is limited, have had good experiences with 2015 Chianti so expectations were high for Brunello. Seems like there are some great wines to be had.

Probably what you’d imagine in this (and all) vintage - gives a sense of place, grape, and in this vintage, the ripe, generous nature of it all. I liked it, though my friends would like it more - today, anyway; in 15 years, the opposite. Each time I’m with Andrea I pretty much say the same thing, “keep doing exactly what you’re doing”. That’s not something I could say to/for all growers/winemakers.

Once the virus lock-down is over here in Toscana/Italia, I’ll probably pick up a few for the cellar here; I’ll be buying double or triple that amount in '16, '18, '19. But that’s my palate, not most.

Thanks Tim