TN: 2018 Sandlands Cinsault (USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi)

• 2018 Sandlands Cinsault - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (3/15/2020)
    12.3 abv from 134yr old vines…open in bottle for an hour, slightly chilled. LOVED the 18 Turley version…went through those too quick! The Sandlands Cinsault seems slightly darker, and has a deeper floral and earth spice to it. Still…Cru Bojo brightness…vibrant fresh crushed red fruits…raspberry, cranberry, cherry, wild strawberry…racy and tarted up nicely with cherry skin and blood orange acidity…has a sheen polish and silkiness…yet crunchy saline minerality and vine struggle. BUT what makes this wine is the pretty perfumed florals…dried roses, fresh cherry tart, and sandalwood spice! Intoxicating…more complex than the Turley…and a true joy to drink! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice! Tegan tasted me on the ‘19 Turley earlier this week and I loved it. Made a point if pulling the Sandlands for a look. You beat me to the punch! Thanks for the note.

Sounds great, Buzz . . .

Gonna have to do a tasting featuring this one, the Turley, and perhaps one of mine as an ‘outlier’ since it doesn’t come from that vineyard but I think does a pretty good job showing off that variety!

Cheers.

Just awesome Buzz. Your notes are consistently some of my favorite to read - keep em coming buddy!

I appreciate that Rich! [cheers.gif]

Great note! I’ve been trying to get my hands on a bottle for awhile

Looking forward to trying this once my bottles get here post craziness.

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Agree with much of Rich’s note. Pop and pour, only rested a few days. Love Sandlands, real special.

Vineyard? Bechthold Vineyard?

Just awesome. Can’t wait to try mine as soon as I’m allowed up at my warehouse!

These came yesterday for me…just want to make it to Friday

Holy man.

This is awesome.

Unfortunately, unable to access my offsite or passive right now so I’m saying “fuck it” and drinking bottles as they come in (perfect timing for shipping season!). Since I have 2 bottles of the Cinsault, decided to pop one tonight and all I can say is Brian’s note hits the nail on the head, just intoxicating juice. Might be my new fave next to Tegan’s Trousseau, which this most resembles stylistically, imo.

Red table wine is good too, wife loves the nose.

I had that last week, was super delicious and yet this is somehow even better!

No comment on your nose.

This might have just surpassed their Chenin Blancs as my favorite Sandlands wine! flirtysmile

Wow, that’s huge praise buddy! I might have to open one of these soon!

The nose wasn’t as remarkable as the Cinsault. My nose probably isn’t as good, maybe partly due to former Nasonex use.

Just opened one of these. The fruits are definitely quite vibrant, but for me I’m getting a bit of an “Oaked Hawaiian Punch” feeling, that I would probably be all in on (goes down so easy) if it didn’t have that specific flavor connotation in my mind…will see where it goes over the next few hours/day.

Edit: the overpowering sweetness is slowly dropping off…this is getting really awesome

Exactly what I was going to ask!

Must be bechthold, no…

That’s a killer vineyard. Can get a little ripe but when they say old vines they’re not kidding.