PLCB turning off the lights...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10344
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#2 Post by Randy Bowman » March 16th, 2020, 8:05 pm

They should have closed shop and opened the state to wine shipments from retailers/wineries. Win/win. Nope. Prohibition has just put them back into the archaic times of yore. [pwn.gif]
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 17847
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#3 Post by Victor Hong » March 16th, 2020, 8:05 pm

I thought that you were referring to its formal, well-known infrastructure to damage expensive wines.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 17847
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#4 Post by Victor Hong » March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm

If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
WineHunter.

jon leifer
Posts: 542
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#5 Post by jon leifer » March 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm

my daughter said the lines were quite long just to get into the PLCB store near her home and who knows what the chaos might have been inside the store.. She lives in Lansdale.
Jon

User avatar
Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 422
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#6 Post by Br1an Th0rne » March 16th, 2020, 8:12 pm

I can’t imagine why anyone would wait in those PLCB lines at the store the past few days...just about everything was available to order online, and can be shipped directly to your home. Alas it is all closed down now!

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3728
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#7 Post by Nathan Smyth » March 16th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
I don't know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman's vague impression that if an alcoholic's metabolism has become acclimated to a consistently constant & very high Blood Alcohol Content, then going cold turkey can literally kill the alcoholic.

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 17847
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#8 Post by Victor Hong » March 17th, 2020, 4:54 am

Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:26 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
I don't know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman's vague impression that if an alcoholic's metabolism has become acclimated to a consistently constant & very high Blood Alcohol Content, then going cold turkey can literally kill the alcoholic.

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.
Heck, even everybody else here faces the same. [wow.gif]
WineHunter.

User avatar
Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2549
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 11:17 am
Location: Near Philadelphia

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#9 Post by Kevin Porter » March 17th, 2020, 5:49 am

Online ordering/delivery is also shut-down. Beer and wine can be bought from supermarkets. I suspect that those lining up were looking to buy spirits.

User avatar
Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1182
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 8:36 am
Location: Philly

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#10 Post by Brian Lynch » March 17th, 2020, 7:20 am

From what I saw, consumers literally emptied the shelves.
The Waterboys

Dan_Fusco
Posts: 29
Joined: May 12th, 2019, 8:19 am
Location: Pittston, PA

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#11 Post by Dan_Fusco » March 17th, 2020, 9:06 am

Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:26 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
I don't know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman's vague impression that if an alcoholic's metabolism has become acclimated to a consistently constant & very high Blood Alcohol Content, then going cold turkey can literally kill the alcoholic.

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.
I said the same thing to my co-workers this morning. What is going to happen to the alcoholics when their stash runs out and all of the bars are closed? I'm not talking about the guy who drinks a few beers every night, I'm talking about the people that go to the liquor store every single day and get a handle of vodka. There is a possibility these people get desperate and it gets ugly.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3179
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#12 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 17th, 2020, 9:32 am

Like in NYC, restaurants here have been granted temporary off-license permission. It's not as open as in NYC, with some restrictions in place, but it will be possible to get some booze with your take-out. Of course, so many restaurants in Philly are BYO anyway that it might not do much good.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Brent C l a y t o n
Posts: 5508
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: Elmhurst, NY
Contact:

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#13 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 17th, 2020, 10:22 am

My friend went to grab a few things in Doylestown Saturday and the workers were saying that they were confident they'd stay open because they were 'essential' state employees. By the time he got home they made the announcement...

Closing down completely and not taking online orders for delivery just seems dumb.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5740
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#14 Post by Bud Carey » March 17th, 2020, 10:37 am

It is Pennsylvania, after all. Dumb is no surprise.
Budman

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15052
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#15 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 17th, 2020, 10:44 am

If only they'd keep the lights off.

RT

User avatar
Nick Ellis
Posts: 289
Joined: January 6th, 2016, 6:43 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#16 Post by Nick Ellis » March 17th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:26 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
I don't know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman's vague impression that if an alcoholic's metabolism has ....

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.
My wife is an Internal Medicine doctor and, as she is always happy to point out, she knows A LOT. While death is certainly possible in the most acute cases of alcohol withdrawal, she has found that the hardcore rummies tend to hoard alcohol, and only the most destitute would be at risk.

As to your doomsday scenario, that’s not how DT’s work. She also said that you might want to interface with a mental health professional once this crisis is over.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6781
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#17 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 17th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Nick Ellis wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:26 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
I don't know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman's vague impression that if an alcoholic's metabolism has ....

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.
My wife is an Internal Medicine doctor and, as she is always happy to point out, she knows A LOT. While death is certainly possible in the most acute cases of alcohol withdrawal, she has found that the hardcore rummies tend to hoard alcohol, and only the most destitute would be at risk.

As to your doomsday scenario, that’s not how DT’s work. She also said that you might want to interface with a mental health professional once this crisis is over.
First interaction with Nathan?

User avatar
Nick Ellis
Posts: 289
Joined: January 6th, 2016, 6:43 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#18 Post by Nick Ellis » March 17th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:20 pm
Nick Ellis wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:26 pm


I don't know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman's vague impression that if an alcoholic's metabolism has ....

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.
My wife is an Internal Medicine doctor and, as she is always happy to point out, she knows A LOT. While death is certainly possible in the most acute cases of alcohol withdrawal, she has found that the hardcore rummies tend to hoard alcohol, and only the most destitute would be at risk.

As to your doomsday scenario, that’s not how DT’s work. She also said that you might want to interface with a mental health professional once this crisis is over.
First interaction with Nathan?
For my wife?

Yes.

User avatar
R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 345
Joined: November 9th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#19 Post by R. Gleiberm@n » March 17th, 2020, 5:44 pm

R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6781
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#20 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 17th, 2020, 6:07 pm

R. Gleiberm@n wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:44 pm
This is serious, I forgot to get Champagne and anniversary is Friday. Oh well, off to the offsite.

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3728
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#21 Post by Nathan Smyth » March 17th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Y'all's Google-Fu might be a lot better than mine, but my searching indicates to me that almost the entirety of the alcohol abuse research concerns the prevalence of binge drinking amongst very wealthy children at elite private schools & universities [which, when you think about the state of our pseudo-society, makes perfect sense].

As far as I can tell, there is almost NOTHING in the recent literature which would give any idea as to the prevalence of persistent intractable alcoholism amongst the lower classes, the poor, or the destitute [such as the homeless].

[But again, y'all's Google-Fu might be significantly better than mine.]

However, I did find one study, from circa 2009 to 2011, using self-reported instances of alcohol dependence, according to the old DSM-4 definitions [which were superceded by the new DSM-5 definitions in 2013]:

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2014/14_ ... able1_down

If we take [circa 2019] demographic numbers for Pennsylvania, and multiply them against those [circa 2009-2011] Alcohol-dependence percentages for the entire United States, then we get a tally which looks like:

ASIAN: (349,088 total) X (1.4% ETOH dependent) = 4,887 ETOH dependent
WHITE: (10,406,288 total) X (3.4% ETOH dependent) = 353,814 ETOH dependent
BLACK: (1,377,689 total) X (3.7% ETOH dependent) = 50,974 ETOH dependent
HISPANIC: (719,660 total) X (4.0% ETOH dependent) = 28,786 ETOH dependent
TWO OR MORE RACES: (237,835 total) X (4.1% ETOH dependent) = 9,751 ETOH dependent
AMERINDIAN/ALASKAN: (26,843 + 235 total) X (9% ETOH dependent) = 2,437 ETOH dependent
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRAND SUB-TOTAL, STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA: 450,649 ETOH dependent

So you'd be just shy of half a million [self-reported] cases of DSM-4 ETOH dependence in the state of Pennsylvania.

And even if only the very worst ten percent of those with [self-reported] ETOH dependence were in danger of going into Delirium Tremens s/p ETOH withdrawal, you'd be looking at more than 45,000 patients.
.

User avatar
Nick Ellis
Posts: 289
Joined: January 6th, 2016, 6:43 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#22 Post by Nick Ellis » March 17th, 2020, 9:26 pm

[/quote]
First interaction with Nathan?
[/quote]

And our last. This guy just can’t shut the f&*k up.

blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15052
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#23 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 19th, 2020, 1:28 pm

It's all shut down...including the on-line store.

Image

RT

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5126
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#24 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 19th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
It’s not that hard to buy stuff from OOS here.

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15052
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#25 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 19th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:08 pm
If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.
It’s not that hard to buy stuff from OOS here.
OOS? Out of State? Heaven forbid.

RT

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3728
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#26 Post by Nathan Smyth » April 20th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Nick Ellis wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 9:26 pm
First interaction with Nathan?
And our last. This guy just can’t shut the f&*k up.

blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah
.

Anti-anxiety medication prescriptions have spiked 34% during the coronavirus pandemic
Published: April 16, 2020 at 12:26 p.m. ET
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/anti- ... 2020-04-16
.

.
A message to our valued customers regarding coronavirus (COVID-19)
https://www.lcb.pa.gov/Consumers/Pages/Coronavirus.aspx

...the PLCB is accepting limited numbers of online orders at FineWineAndGoodSpirits.com and has introduced a curbside pickup program beginning Monday, April 20...

.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13022
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#27 Post by alan weinberg » April 20th, 2020, 8:36 pm

rumor is that they are opening up . . .

User avatar
Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 422
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#28 Post by Br1an Th0rne » April 20th, 2020, 8:56 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:36 pm
rumor is that they are opening up . . .
A limited number of stores have indeed opened...curbside pickup, but call in ordering only!!!

Gerry Morrisey
Posts: 417
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Location: Tyngsboro, MA

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#29 Post by Gerry Morrisey » April 20th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Bud Carey wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 10:37 am
It is Pennsylvania, after all. Dumb is no surprise.
After seeing the protests in Harrisburg all I could think is what a bunch of morons.

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15052
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#30 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 21st, 2020, 5:37 am

alan weinberg wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:36 pm
rumor is that they are opening up . . .
Licensed grocery stores and gas stations continued to sell wine and beer...as did beer distributors (deemed life sustaining). Restaurants were allowed to sell booze (including mixed drinks) to go. The PA distillery business has had a crazy mini-boom.

PLCB continues to be a bad joke. Their on-line ordering has been woefully inadequate. Of 1.2 million people browsing the website, only 10k could place orders.

The PLCB curbside pickup service has already been overwhelmed...after one day. Severe staff limitations. Limited hours. Limited orders. Limited locations.

RT

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14841
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#31 Post by Jay Miller » April 21st, 2020, 5:39 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 5:37 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:36 pm
rumor is that they are opening up . . .
Licensed grocery stores and gas stations continued to sell wine and beer...as did beer distributors (deemed life sustaining). Restaurants were allowed to sell booze (including mixed drinks) to go. The PA distillery business has had a crazy mini-boom.

PLCB continues to be a bad joke. Their on-line ordering has been woefully inadequate. Of 1.2 million people browsing the website, only 10k could place orders.

The PLCB curbside pickup service has already been overwhelmed...after one day. Severe staff limitations. Limited hours. Limited orders. Limited locations.

RT
And by limiting locations and hours they ensure that crowds will gather at the few open places during the few open hours. Idiocy.

Reminds me of my own idiot governor's curfew laws which helps increase crowds at grocery stores thus risking health while ensuring that businesses lose even more money than they would otherwise. A nice lose/lose policy.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2268
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 9:54 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#32 Post by John Glas » April 21st, 2020, 6:03 am

I grew up in PA. Thank goodness I don't live there anymore. While I have seen some good deals on wine it is better to have competition. Our city run liquor stores actually had to start selling below retail when Total Wine came to town.

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 715
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#33 Post by Dennis Borczon » April 21st, 2020, 6:25 am

The real question is ...When were the lights really on?

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 966
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#34 Post by AD Northup » April 21st, 2020, 6:36 am

Living in PA, it amazes me how few people truly take advantage of the loosened shipping rules over the last few years. I have no need or desire to ship at the PA State store unless I have to grab a quick gift and convenience wins out.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5740
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#35 Post by Bud Carey » April 21st, 2020, 6:47 am

Same here. I never buy PLCB wine. I buy direct and ship to either PA or NJ.
Budman

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15052
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#36 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 21st, 2020, 10:56 am

Bud Carey wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:47 am
Same here. I never buy PLCB wine. I buy direct and ship to either PA or NJ.
I still sporadically pop in once in a while for a pre-researched bottle or two (i.e.: the February Leap Day 10% off sale). There's usually something drinkable to be found. I avoid all the shelf-talker discount wines (Chairman's Sections, etc.). Tasted far too many over the years with too little success. PLCB used to have some pretty impressive blow out sales. Much fewer of late and less attractive discounts.

RT

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3179
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#37 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 21st, 2020, 11:11 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 10:56 am
Bud Carey wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:47 am
Same here. I never buy PLCB wine. I buy direct and ship to either PA or NJ.
I still sporadically pop in once in a while for a pre-researched bottle or two (i.e.: the February Leap Day 10% off sale). There's usually something drinkable to be found. I avoid all the shelf-talker discount wines (Chairman's Sections, etc.). Tasted far too many over the years with too little success. PLCB used to have some pretty impressive blow out sales. Much fewer of late and less attractive discounts.

RT
I'm glad to have one nearby if I run out of a cocktail ingredient or don't have a cooking wine on hand.

Pretty soon they will have some world class sake for special order. Once special orders are allowed again.... Sigh.

(Disclosure - my husband imports it)
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5740
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#38 Post by Bud Carey » April 21st, 2020, 11:49 am

Fortunately for me, Total Wine in Delaware is about 30 minutes away. If I buy just one bottle there, it makes up for the cost of gas.
Budman

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1716
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#39 Post by Steve Gautier » April 21st, 2020, 5:38 pm

A friend of mine had to call almost 100 times today before he got through to do an alcohol order.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

J. Rock
Posts: 769
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#40 Post by J. Rock » April 21st, 2020, 6:05 pm

Wait, you guys can't just go to another wine shop or order from out of state?...
J o r d a n

User avatar
Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2549
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 11:17 am
Location: Near Philadelphia

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#41 Post by Kevin Porter » April 21st, 2020, 6:32 pm

J. Rock wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:05 pm
Wait, you guys can't just go to another wine shop or order from out of state?...
Loaded question!

We can legally order wine from out-of-state wineries that have registered with the Commonwealth.

We can buy from in-state Supermarkets and ‘Bottle shops’. I’ve not seen a supermarket with wines worth buying. There are some very good, although expensive, bottle shops but the PLCB has cut their supply during the pandemic.

We cannot legally bring wine purchased outside of PA into PA but there is a ton of ‘border bleed’. My understanding is that right now Police in neighboring states are discouraging shoppers with PA plates.

My understanding is that the PLCB contends that it is illegal for Retailers to ship to PA. That doesn’t stop many from doing so (I’ve been told).

Simple enough?

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6781
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#42 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 21st, 2020, 6:52 pm

Kevin Porter wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:32 pm
J. Rock wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:05 pm
Wait, you guys can't just go to another wine shop or order from out of state?...
Loaded question!

We can legally order wine from out-of-state wineries that have registered with the Commonwealth.

We can buy from in-state Supermarkets and ‘Bottle shops’. I’ve not seen a supermarket with wines worth buying. There are some very good, although expensive, bottle shops but the PLCB has cut their supply during the pandemic.

We cannot legally bring wine purchased outside of PA into PA but there is a ton of ‘border bleed’. My understanding is that right now Police in neighboring states are discouraging shoppers with PA plates.

My understanding is that the PLCB contends that it is illegal for Retailers to ship to PA. That doesn’t stop many from doing so (I’ve been told).

Simple enough?
The adjacent OH counties and Morgantown WV stopped selling to PA customers. The shelves were being stripped bare. For wine crossing the state lines never helped, the selection is worse than the PLCB.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6781
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#43 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 21st, 2020, 6:53 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:11 am
Richard T r i m p i wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 10:56 am
Bud Carey wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:47 am
Same here. I never buy PLCB wine. I buy direct and ship to either PA or NJ.
I still sporadically pop in once in a while for a pre-researched bottle or two (i.e.: the February Leap Day 10% off sale). There's usually something drinkable to be found. I avoid all the shelf-talker discount wines (Chairman's Sections, etc.). Tasted far too many over the years with too little success. PLCB used to have some pretty impressive blow out sales. Much fewer of late and less attractive discounts.

RT
I'm glad to have one nearby if I run out of a cocktail ingredient or don't have a cooking wine on hand.

Pretty soon they will have some world class sake for special order. Once special orders are allowed again.... Sigh.

(Disclosure - my husband imports it)
Please post/email when this goes live.

User avatar
Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1182
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 8:36 am
Location: Philly

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#44 Post by Brian Lynch » April 21st, 2020, 7:08 pm

If you are in Pa and in need of a fix, just reach out to a fellow Berserker. They surely have enough to share and still have enough to survive and withstand a Cold War era supply shutoff. If you live in the People’s Republic of PA, you learn how to hoard and adapt. :-)
The Waterboys

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5126
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#45 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » April 21st, 2020, 7:40 pm

Kevin Porter wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:32 pm
J. Rock wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:05 pm
Wait, you guys can't just go to another wine shop or order from out of state?...
Loaded question!

We can legally order wine from out-of-state wineries that have registered with the Commonwealth.

We can buy from in-state Supermarkets and ‘Bottle shops’. I’ve not seen a supermarket with wines worth buying. There are some very good, although expensive, bottle shops but the PLCB has cut their supply during the pandemic.

We cannot legally bring wine purchased outside of PA into PA but there is a ton of ‘border bleed’. My understanding is that right now Police in neighboring states are discouraging shoppers with PA plates.

My understanding is that the PLCB contends that it is illegal for Retailers to ship to PA. That doesn’t stop many from doing so (I’ve been told).

Simple enough?
It’s not particularly hard to get wine here.

User avatar
Kelly Walker
Posts: 1551
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#46 Post by Kelly Walker » April 21st, 2020, 8:28 pm

I have been pandemic planning for over 25 years. I just didn't realize it until recently.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3179
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#47 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 22nd, 2020, 3:55 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 6:53 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:11 am

I'm glad to have one nearby if I run out of a cocktail ingredient or don't have a cooking wine on hand.

Pretty soon they will have some world class sake for special order. Once special orders are allowed again.... Sigh.

(Disclosure - my husband imports it)
Please post/email when this goes live.
Tom - I'll be sure and let you know. Thanks for your interest!

It's really fantastic sake, though not cheap. I admit to being biased, but in this case, we loved the sake well before he was ever licensed to import in the first place - in fact, so far, it is the ONLY thing he imports! Jonathan has been working with the brewery for more than 5 years to get exclusive rights to their higher end bottlings, all the while racing against a Chinese importer wanting to take everything they had. Only his long standing love of the brand and relationship with several Japanese supporters made it possible. We took delivery of the first big shipment just before all the restaurants and stores shut down. Talk about timing.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2549
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 11:17 am
Location: Near Philadelphia

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#48 Post by Kevin Porter » April 22nd, 2020, 4:44 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 7:40 pm

It’s not particularly hard to get wine here.
Unless one wishes to get good wine at a reasonable price while complying with the law (the last part is the kicker). Ultimately, I agree.

Sarah - I'd also love to get the details on the saki, Can a complete saki neophyte appreciate world class or should I be educating my palate first?

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3179
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#49 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 22nd, 2020, 5:01 am

Kevin Porter wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 4:44 am

Sarah - I'd also love to get the details on the saki, Can a complete saki neophyte appreciate world class or should I be educating my palate first?
Sure! Your first lesson is that it's sake (with an e) not saki (with an i). :)

I think you can absolutely appreciate a special sake without having tasted many others! It tastes great. What you won't be able to grasp without context is what makes it so different, complex and flexible in terms of food pairing. Can't hurt to try some others in the meantime, though, to get a handle on what you like. Paul Willenberg, who participates on this board sometimes, distributes some excellent sake at very good prices and could easily put a sampler together for you I'm sure.

I don't want to get too commercial here, since I don't think that's allowed, even though I've disclosed my 1 degree of separation from the ITB individual. I will definitely put up whatever kind of post is allowed when the sake is available for purchase and am happy to answer any questions via PM. If times were normal, I'd offer to host a nice big tasting at our house. Maybe in a few months.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15052
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: PLCB turning off the lights...

#50 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 22nd, 2020, 6:14 am

Kevin Porter wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 4:44 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 7:40 pm
It’s not particularly hard to get wine here.
Unless one wishes to get good wine at a reasonable price while complying with the law (the last part is the kicker).
Unless one expects expert advice/support from staff intimately familiar with many of the wines and their producers. There's a soul-less-ness to most wine buying experiences.

RT

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”