PLCB turning off the lights...

They should have closed shop and opened the state to wine shipments from retailers/wineries. Win/win. Nope. Prohibition has just put them back into the archaic times of yore. [pwn.gif]

I thought that you were referring to its formal, well-known infrastructure to damage expensive wines.

If I understand the implications correctly, all PA citizens will be prohibited from buying wine and spirits meanwhile, even if from out of state.

my daughter said the lines were quite long just to get into the PLCB store near her home and who knows what the chaos might have been inside the store… She lives in Lansdale.

I can’t imagine why anyone would wait in those PLCB lines at the store the past few days…just about everything was available to order online, and can be shipped directly to your home. Alas it is all closed down now!

I don’t know diddly squat about Internal Medicine, but for years I have been nursing a layman’s vague impression that if an alcoholic’s metabolism has become acclimated to a consistently constant & very high Blood Alcohol Content, then going cold turkey can literally kill the alcoholic.

At a minimum, I can imagine there being tens of thousands of alcoholics getting the delirium tremens & running around terrorizing neighborhoods like a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics.

Heck, even everybody else here faces the same. [wow.gif]

Online ordering/delivery is also shut-down. Beer and wine can be bought from supermarkets. I suspect that those lining up were looking to buy spirits.

From what I saw, consumers literally emptied the shelves.

I said the same thing to my co-workers this morning. What is going to happen to the alcoholics when their stash runs out and all of the bars are closed? I’m not talking about the guy who drinks a few beers every night, I’m talking about the people that go to the liquor store every single day and get a handle of vodka. There is a possibility these people get desperate and it gets ugly.

Like in NYC, restaurants here have been granted temporary off-license permission. It’s not as open as in NYC, with some restrictions in place, but it will be possible to get some booze with your take-out. Of course, so many restaurants in Philly are BYO anyway that it might not do much good.

My friend went to grab a few things in Doylestown Saturday and the workers were saying that they were confident they’d stay open because they were ‘essential’ state employees. By the time he got home they made the announcement…

Closing down completely and not taking online orders for delivery just seems dumb.

It is Pennsylvania, after all. Dumb is no surprise.

If only they’d keep the lights off.

RT

My wife is an Internal Medicine doctor and, as she is always happy to point out, she knows A LOT. While death is certainly possible in the most acute cases of alcohol withdrawal, she has found that the hardcore rummies tend to hoard alcohol, and only the most destitute would be at risk.

As to your doomsday scenario, that’s not how DT’s work. She also said that you might want to interface with a mental health professional once this crisis is over.

First interaction with Nathan?

For my wife?

Yes.

This is serious, I forgot to get Champagne and anniversary is Friday. Oh well, off to the offsite.