TN: 2016 Franny Beck Pinot Noir (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2016 Franny Beck Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/18/2020)
    My first ‘me’ of the season.
    I was very excited to try this since hearing about them this past Berserkerday. FEDEX brings at 1:30 and I waited the obligatory 1 hour to insert my Coravin.
    Purple tinged ‘majesty’ edges, this has some prettiness on first sight. Fragrant and hi-toned blue/red fruitson nose; quite fragrant at that. Palate shows some deeply entwined cranberries, sassafras and orange peel which I do ‘dig’ very much. This shows soft and elegant while not being light, this is all about balance and structure. The texture comes into play after 20 minutes in the glass which says a literal mouthful, just awesome. Not the longest time on the tongue, but that’s ok as it really shows such completeness elsewhere, I can forgive, and as a matter of fact, I can appreciate as this can never be ponderous or over-bearing, so that’s a good thing, no? A little playful, a lot of serious, this shows depth and character. I love it. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Try their Chardonnay from the Bieze Vineyard. I think their 2017 is sold out but I would recommend seeking out the 2018s when available. Very good, up and coming winery here in Oregon.

I got mine today, too. Am sipping the Pinot right now. Initial impression is a cross between Oregon and California. The mouthfeel is just dynamite; it was probably a bit heavy upon release but the weight is quite nice 4 years out. I’ve been looking for a go to Oregon Pinot QPR and this just might be it.

Franny Beck is offering these again for Berserker Day - Quarantine Relief.

I opened the 2015 Pinot last Thanksgiving for some wine drinking non geeks and we all loved it. Trying to keep my hands off the latest BD shipment, good to hear the 2016 is showing well.

Mike, that is an awesome note on the wine. I’m going to have to put you on payroll when I send out release letters! Thank you for the honest eval on the wine, could’t ask for a better response to one of my wines

Hey Patrick, I appreciate the idea that the '16 WV is a nice cross between CA and OR. Just a little note on that wine in general and that vintage specifically: My goal with that particular blend is to really show you what the vintage gave us each year. In 2016 we were moving along very similarly to '15 when we had some east winds come in and begin to dry out the fruit still on the vine. Johan and La Chenaie were both still hanging and we saw almost 2 degrees Brix jump over a day and a half. It was a bit alarming to say the least. Desiccation and raisoning were a real concern, however, once we got the fruit into the winery, the subsequent wines really showed some juiciness and vibrancy that was a real pleasant surprise! I think the '16 WV just jumps out of the glass! I’d say that those who typically tend to drink CA Pinot will find some pleasing and familiar aspects to all of our '16s while simultaneously finding those unmistakable qualities of the Willamette Valley.

If I had my druthers, I’d love for people to be able to taste my '16 and '15 WV bottling side by side. Vintage matters here and I can’t think of two better wines to show that.

Great note. Sounds like a real bargain based on the average Tracker price.

I noticed the 2016s were 35% whole cluster. That may be what is leading my palate to think OR/CA. This is a very good wine. Looking forward to Day 2.

Night two and I know what this reminds me of now.
Littorai Les Larmes.

Well done Michael! I just requested a Heli-12 pack

Nice note. Damn I knew I should have picked up some of this on BD day.

Check out the Berserker Quarantine Relief thread. You can pick up a case for a fantastic price!

I agree with this Pobega dude. Night 2 showed no fade. To me that is a sign of ageability.

I mistakenly shared the remainder with a couple of friends (who stayed 6 feet away). Will not make that mistake with my next bottle.

Easy 91-92 for me.

I thought it was tight/reticent on day 1 but showing structure and promise. More of the same on day 2. On day 3 sitting open on the counter I found it started to open up. The fruit started to come out and the tannin were rounding out. I probably won’t pop another for 3-5 years. Maybe I should open a 16 Johan tonight for comparison though.

Sean

Just popped one tonight. The nose is great…very Oregon. Decent fruit. Not so crazy about the structure (a touch round). Some mild warmth. Cooperative tannins. I’m a diehard Burg lover (or was until priced out) so bring on the acidity. I steered clear of 2016s from almost everyone in OR. Will check on it tomorrow. Looking forward to testing the 2017s.

RT

How are you on the 18’s, Richard?

Don’t know yet. I have a ticket to the July IPNC Passport to Pinot (if it happens and I’m brave enough to fly) to try to get a glimpse. My understanding is 2018 was “warm”, which means I usually stick to the “usual suspects”. There are excellent Pinots in every vintage…and more trial and error. YMMV.

RT

Michael, would you mind if I posted this (slightly edited) to my forthcoming Cellartracker tasting note?

Interesting. Could you elaborate on your usual suspects in a warm vintage? It is sounding like you prefer a bit more restraint or medium bodied Oregon pinots?

Patrick, my preference is “Burgundian” which is a pretty wide range of styles, but typically more noticeable acidity. Oregon scratches my itch due to interesting “secondary” notes. I probably use that term incorrectly: forest floor (sous bois), loam, mushroom, conifer (pine), baking spice, minerals and related descriptors.

My first love is Cameron…and the list goes on from there. I probably own more Goodfellow and Patricia Green than any other of the BB’s actively posting OR producers. I tend to buy from producers with a track record of 15+ years.

No replacement for tasting a LOT of Pinots. Jim Anderson says you need to taste at least 100+ from a vintage to get a true feel. I used to get close to that for several years running. There’re lovely wines in every vintage and even the “Usual Suspects” produce some duds IMHO. Your mileage will vary.

RT

When is the next Berserker Day??