Sonoma Shelter in Place order

I was surprised not to see a thread on the order here today. I just looked it over in detail and see they exempted the wineries and those supporting the wineries. Glad to see they can stay operational to bottle, ship, etc.

Link here

Hah, people were joking, but it seems wine shipments are more important than scientific investigations. I guess wine shipping is similar to restaurant delivery…

Same is true in Napa and SLO Counties now.

Santa Barbara County has yet to take this step because there are only 2 confirmed cases, but I have to believe we’ll be doing the same in the coming days.

Take care, be well, and my thoughts and prayers are with all of you, your loved ones, your friends and everyone else . . .

Cheers.

Because God knows we need another COVID-19 thread!

Brian… the real reason for the Sonoma shelter in place is because of your birthday!!!

blush [highfive.gif] [drinkers.gif]

Dude—you are OLD!
(My turn in Dec) champagne.gif

Happy birthday

I already warned the Fire Dept about my candles possibly starting a new wildfire.

Thanks Pal!

Only those wineries whose inventory is on-sight. Many smaller ones, us included, use storage/shipping facilities, and they are all closed now. We wanted to present a Berserker’s offer, as some others did, and really cannot since we have no idea when we can access our wines and send orders out. Plenty of other small guys you know are at the same facility, or use it as shipping hub.

It’s more about wine production than shipping. Ag is the #1 industry up here, the majority of the work is people working by themselves and they want to keep it going.

In terms of wine production, I would think one could make the argument that there is"time sensitive" work to get the next harvest ready, so that should be excluded. Here at my Lab, they are willing to exclude “time sensitive” tasks (mostly experimental) where failure to do this or that compromises the long term work. So it seems to me that it should be excluded…

Racking, bottling, topping… it’s all happening right now. Managing barrel inventory, paying taxes, ordering new supplies can be done mine from home but production goes on.

Bottling may depend on the circumstances. I was scheduled to help out on two bottling days at two different wineries this week and both were cancelled at the last minute due to the SF Bay Area shelter-in-place directive that took effect on Tuesday morning. In both cases a mobile bottling line would have come out for the job. If a winery has an in-house bottling line, I’d guess that might be a different story.

In Sonoma County that would not be an issue. Businesses that support or supply essential businesses are considered essential as well. I have worked all week because I supply essential businesses and I am
Mobile.

In Napa, though, things are looked at differently. Over here in Sonoma they consider construction an essential business. In Napa it’s not that way though because today they shut down construction at Rivers-Marie. Over here it would be business as usual.

I guess the question is, should it really be business as usual?

Sonoma County Records First Coronavirus Death

[cry.gif]

Business as usual?? People should read the NY Times articles. Why we have a pandemic, peaking now maybe in Italy, peaking soon in USA: