Can't make money selling liquor? Make hand sanitizer!

Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy got some great PR by saying they’d make hand sanitizer in one of their perfume factories. Looks like that has inspired the Alcohol and Tobacco Trade and Tobacco Bureau (TTB), which announced today that licensed distilleries will be permitted to use the alcohol they produce to make sanitizer and won’t be taxed on the alcohol.

(Does this suggest that flavored vodkas and bourbons aren’t selling?)

Production of Hand Sanitizer to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted 03/18/2020 by the Office of Communications

Due to the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the Acting Administrator of the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) has found that it is necessary or desirable to waive provisions of internal revenue law with regard to distilled spirits, and therefore is providing certain exemptions and authorizations to distilled spirits permittees who wish to produce ethanol-based hand sanitizers to address the demand for such products during this emergency.

Any existing DSP therefore can immediately commence production of hand sanitizer or distilled spirits (ethanol) for use in hand sanitizer, as described below, without having to obtain authorization first. …

Our federal government on the move!

Ray Walker?

I’d love to know the back story of the lobbying behind this.

I think Ray has washed his hands of the industry.

Ooooooh! [cheers.gif]

Spirit of York in Toronto is doing the same thing. They make rye based rye, vodka and gin but it comes out of the still at a high proof and is perfect for something that everyone needs and there isn’t enough of.

Spirit of York is selling bottles for $2.95 and giving them for free to people at risk or at need. They are loosing a fair amount doing it, they’re just being good corporate citizens. I expect LVMHis doing it for the same reason.

Dillon’s is apparently also doing it. That said, Spirit of York is within walking distance of home. Unfortunately I’m too busy with work today and they will likely sell out shortly after opening at 11am. But credit to them for doing it.

Saw a story this morning on Old Fourth Distillery in Atlanta doing this.

Since I’m from Minnesota, I assumed you were referring to this place in Duluth:

Nettoyer, by Dior:

Can I get some of the barrel aged sanitizer??

I saw that too. The dude looked tired but seemed like a good guy. Keeping his staff employed and hiring others.

Walked down to Spirit of York this morning before getting some groceries and it was a very calm, well-spaced outdoors line (2-4m between people) to a walk-up window facing the street. One bottle per person, about 15 people ahead of me took about 3-4 minutes to get through. Spirit of York also taking extra monetary donations for the local food bank if you ask. Gin-based, my hands smelled great afterward!

Pretty quiet out, which is good. Glad to see most people here staying in unless necessary.

Is it watery or do they mix it with something so it becomes more cream like?

flirtysmile

I think they mix it with alo Vera to make a gel. Others are mixing it with glycerin to make a spray.

I am making a series of terroir based sanitizers using eaux de vies from biodynamic pears, apples and plums. . The aloe vera will also be grown on three different kinds of soils and the sanitizer will be bottled accordingly.They will be ready in time for the next pandemic.

kinda beneficial business nowadays, wanna consider this option, lol. Moreover, all brands have already seen this thing with making brand masks and sanitizers, it looks stylish, it’s expensive and it’s the other reason to show off. So, all these things people really love, why not using it? I personally found out an article on yourmoneygeek.com describing where can I earn money on taking online surveys and it was my initial occupation during the lockdown. Come on, I’ve earned 500$. Totally worth checking!

For a marketing group that has to be a label fail doesn’t it?

An article a few weeks ago in the Washington Post covered local distilleries. Many are not sure they will make through Covid even after being allowed to ship their products. The loss in restaurant busieness is killing them.